Artesania Latina - Soleil Royal

between the Wasa, the Soleil Royal and the Endeavour, looks to me that they are releasing kits they had developed for deAgostini

Having done the Mantua Soleiel Royal, I'm truly envious! There's a lot of nice detail and it looks like they are making a lot of challenging woodwork techniques more accessible. It looks like there are some bizarre scale distortions and rigging impossibilities but the detail on the stern and deck furnishings is really nice. I agree about the paint scheme--less is more and not powder blue! I am soooooo tempted!

Thanks for posting Shelk, I like this a lot,possibly too much:rolleyes::D:D:D

I downloaded the instructions from their website, very helpful as to giving you an idea of what is in the box.Lots of unique parts including guns and carriages that actually look French.
The Deagostini Partwork was by Occre,then Artesania produced a revised one for Deagostini but this is different again.
Similar price to Vasa so pretty much inline with other offerings.The kit is double planked but the second planking is a light wood same as Vasa,so you could substitute for another timber easily enough.
Can't decide whether I like the blue or not......
I know there is much historical debate as to what the Soleil Royal really looked like and this perhaps is a little off in some areas.however it builds into a very nice model

Kind Regards

Nigel

The blue does look overpowering; however, is it not the color of the original ship? If one decides to paint the ship, I would think it should be as the original, whether overpowering or not.

The blue does look overpowering; however, is it not the color of the original ship? If one decides to paint the ship, I would think it should be as the original, whether overpowering or not.
I have no idea what the original Soleil Royal looked like. If you have a picture that would be great. The only thing I could find was a photo from le Musée National de la Marine in France. Here is the picture that I am going to base mine on. That model has trunnels on it. Not sure I will do that, though because I don't like the look.

soleilRoyal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A question which I hope can be answered: Are there any plans and/or kits out there of the type of fishing boats that were used on the sea of Galilee during the time of Christ? I would love to build one that was the type that Christ and His disciples were in--and the Apostle Paul at a slightly later time.

Andy please look at @Bluebeard 's build log in the wooden kitbuilding section. He is building the Galilee boat.

I have more pictures coming soon.
I just finished the rigging for the mast and yards and also the rudders.
Now I’m working on the oars and maybe tomorrow I finish them.
This has been the only model that I have spent so much time researching since is a model that the experts know so very little.
But it’s coming alone pretty nicely thanks to the great help and opinions that a few fellows had offered me.
A VERY SPECIAL THANKS GOES TO PT-2.
He thought me what was the best way to look at this build,…that is to use ASSUMPTIONS….of course, after research..

Last edited:
What is irritating me....
Artesania is mentioning on youtube the sacle with 1:72, but on the box shown in the video a scale of 1:65 is mentioned. On their webpage once more 1:72 - so it seems, that they once more measured it and changed.

Discover this new museum quality master piece from Artesania Latina: Soleil Royal, an astonishing and completely new scale model of the flagship of King Louis XIV. Enjoy building this French legend. Find it here: www.artesanialatina.net

With painting the complete ship with the blue colour and the underwater area in white you can live with a single planking, but you have to like it.

For me the rigging and belaying details is a big problem on this kit - seems, that the kit designer concentrated on the decorations (which seems to be very good) but did not spend too much time in the rigging - f.e the shrouds and ratlines, very reduced rigging lines etc. - I guess you have to investin aftersale products

@Uwek Dear Uwe. I fail to see the issue with single planking and why "you have to live with it". For sure, double-planking makes it easier for the modeler. but that does not mean that single-planking is any way inferior to double-planking. Real ships were not double-planked. And, I have yet to see a POF build that utilizes double-planking.

@Uwek Dear Uwe. I fail to see the issue with single planking and why "you have to live with it". For sure, double-planking makes it easier for the modeler. but that does not mean that single-planking is any way inferior to double-planking. Real ships were not double-planked. And, I have yet to see a POF build that utilizes double-planking.
This is not a POF hull but a POB hull, on POF hulls a double planking is making no sense.

On POB hull usually / better say "often" the avarage modeler is getting a better result on the visual planks (planks with joints) when you make with a first planking (not visible) the correct form of the hull (also after filling and sanding) and with the second planking (usually thinner) the correct planking pattern (with stealers, spiled planks etc.) . With the first planking you have a closed hull where the second planks have full contact over the complete length of the plank. On a single planked hull you have only the contact with the bulkheads, or you fill all gaps between the bulkheads with filler wood blocks (f.e. with balsa) to get a full hull form...... and you have to work from the beginning much more accurate and you have to plan your planking (with Thicker material) very well from the first beginnbg with the wales.....

Your sentense "Real ships were not double-planked" is correct, but in ship modeling in my opinion not realy helping. Real ship have also no bulkheads. But real ships would be planked with Oak, which you would not use because it would be outscale.

Here some examples how planking was done on real ships
j3715.jpg
j3716.jpg
j4510.jpg
j6457.jpg

On this kit the planking is covered with paint, so the pattern of the planking is not very important, so you will have only a first and single planking, which has to be sanded (and maybe filled) and afterwards painted.
But maybe some modelers do not want to paint their hull - they have to life with the single planking, but I guess, that the quality of the kit material for the planking is not the best (because Artesania plan to paint the timber.......

@Uwe I partially asked the question tongue in cheek of course. I know full well why POF models do not have double planking.

But that is exactly wherein the difference lies - in the preparation of the hull. If you take your time preparing the hull on a POB model, you can achieve every bit of accuracy as with a double-planked one. And as to getting the planking pattern correct ... well that is up to the builder. And honestly, some of the veneer that is utilized on some the double-planked models, barely qualifies as wood. If the hull preparation is such an issue then modelers can always go the option that Kris Szkutnik' is ofereing with the 3D printed hull.

I believe it is unfair to create a sentiment that single-planked kits are inferior or the idea that for a kit to be worth its money, it has to be a double-planked hull.

Back