Anyone up for a challenge

This is a portion of a pen and ink drawing of the Discovery1789 when she was a prison hulk. I'm trying to carve this emblem on the stern. As I was looking at it I started to think I was seeing writing in the emblem. Am I imagining it? Can anyone else see it? Anyone care to take a guess as to what it might say?

hesz.jpg

hiresz.jpg

This is George Vancouver's Discouvery. He did serve with Cook on a previous voyage so there may be something to your idea. I had considered a Latin phrase but I don't know Latin.

You maybe know also this one?

pw5976.jpg

The Discovery as a hulk​

Heightened with white and signed by artist, lower left. The ship shown is George Vancouver's 'Discovery' in her later career converted as a prison hulk in the Thames, apparently in the later part of it off Woolwich. It had done the same service off Sheerness for about ten years from conversion for that purpose there in 1808. See also PAD6034.

Screenshot 2022-08-18 113220.png

so you see, that the look of the stern i a pure interpretation made by the artists of this time

You maybe know also this one?

View attachment 324111

The Discovery as a hulk​

Heightened with white and signed by artist, lower left. The ship shown is George Vancouver's 'Discovery' in her later career converted as a prison hulk in the Thames, apparently in the later part of it off Woolwich. It had done the same service off Sheerness for about ten years from conversion for that purpose there in 1808. See also PAD6034.

View attachment 324112

so you see, that the look of the stern i a pure interpretation made by the artists of this time
Yes I have this one. When you look at both of them you can see similarities and differences(number of stern lights). It makes you wonder about researchers that give so much credit to paintings.
They do both show this crest as roughly the same shape though. They both also seem to be vertically exaggerated. My Discovery follows the original plans and it looks much more squashed than either of these.

Stet Geschriben BIIDIN

There is written: BIIDEN
I'm thinking you are joking :) :) . I did try a Google search on "Biidin" and google can't get by Joe.

Edit---Actually I was searching for "Biiden". Biidin does come up but only in the Ojibwe language and I don't think that would be on Georges ship :)

This is a portion of a pen and ink drawing of the Discovery1789 when she was a prison hulk. I'm trying to carve this emblem on the stern. As I was looking at it I started to think I was seeing writing in the emblem. Am I imagining it? Can anyone else see it? Anyone care to take a guess as to what it might say?

View attachment 324044

View attachment 324045
Yes, there appears to be some lettering in there. Bear in mind that the technique used by the artist to render the drawing consists of lines, and the intersection, density, and direction of these lines form a picture which includes shading at a particular viewing distance. It's the same technique used by copper engravers to create illustrations for many centuries. The problem is that the details up close are obscured by this technique, and the artist can only make a subtle hint of smaller details using the lines by changing thickness and directions. At the intended viewing distance, there is a hint of text. Up close, you can see the vertical lines that were intended to create that text, but the resolution is so low that it is impossible to tell what was written. There appear to be at least seven letters in the plaque. My best guess is that the name "Discovery" is engraved in a font typical of the time period. The use of ships names on the stern was practiced in 1789, but many make the mistake of putting the name of the ship on early 17th century vessels, because that was not the practice that far back. I am not sure what decade it became common practice, but I know others on this forum do.

How the hell did you guys come up with "BIIDEN"? I just can't see that.

Thanks Kurt. That had crossed my mind but I have almost as much trouble seeing Discovery as I do Biidin. Although if I squint real hard, maybe, just maybe ;) ;)

I thought that maybe at some time the image was reversed so I mirror imaged it. Didn't help. I'm thinkin' the artist just put some squiggles in there to look like text. I'm thinking I will write "Discovery" in there but there is no rush, that part of the hull will always be accessible.

I thought that maybe at some time the image was reversed so I mirror imaged it. Didn't help. I'm thinkin' the artist just put some squiggles in there to look like text. I'm thinking I will write "Discovery" in there but there is no rush, that part of the hull will always be accessible.
Yes. At that scale, it's supposed to look like text. Unfortunately for use, everyone who knew what it said in long gone.

Back