Anyone have experience with continuous rope walking machine?

As I was reading from other modelers, which have the Romanow rope walk -> most of them are very happy with the machine and the results

I'd like to build my own.
Can anyone direct me to some DIY links, please.

It would be cool to spin some of my lovely long hair into thread (been collecting it for years!)
So a simple DIY spinning wheel would be nice too!

Thanks J.
Lot's to think about there; like the protractor method to check a consistent batch of rope in the second vid.
Once on the topic in youtube all sorts of interesting stuff pops up.
Here's one that appeals to my 'KISS' way of looking at things.....

Once on the topic in youtube all sorts of interesting stuff pops up.
Here's one that appeals to my 'KISS' way of looking at things.....
While this one is better to your taste, it made to make large size ropes. I don't think it will be suitable for models making ropes. But you can utilize the concept. Frankly...they pretty much designed using the same concept. Be aware that there 2 types of making machines in general, vertical and horizontal. Vertical works very simple, the gears mechanism mounted somewhere at the top, the strands (threads) tied to weight at the bottom.
A horizontal device could have the wounding mechanism from one side and unwinding mechanics from another side. Both operated with motors. Check out few videos. One from Olga @shipphotographer.com is a member of our forum. The first one in Russian, but you should have an idea. If you in doubt, let me know, and I will help to translate.

Thanks once more Jimsky.
You're right with your comment about the type I introduced. As you say, nothing wrong with the concept which can be adapted and refined.....
I once saw a demo by someone making 'regular 'rope' starting by spinning flax fibers (a length of which still hangs on my table lamp, 10 years later) on a very rudimentary 'craft' set up, then the threads were quickly wound into rope. One person, one crank at one end. It took minutes and left me impressed to say the least.
Incidentally, the flax I mentioned is the same colour as my hair! Never noticed before.
What I don't understand, if one is starting with commercial thread, which is already twisted, why a motor each end?

What I don't understand, if one is starting with commercial thread, which is already twisted, why a motor each end?
It will be tough to explain with my broken English. The commercially available threads for the most part are OK. Thread is a very, very thin string typically used for crafting/sewing, whereas the rope is made of multiple twisted strands of threads. Also, threads are available only in certain thicknesses and look oversized for scale models they are not twisted like ropes. Another factor is color. Self-made rope can be of any color you possibly want.

I have to correct my earlier post - it is not Romanow -> it should be off course DOMANOFF

PL4 "endless" rope making machines with traverse are intended for making professional model ropes:
  • 2-, 3- or 4-stranded;
  • With/without the core;
  • Plain laid or cable laid;
  • Left or right lay.
PL40-All.486c4d06d3040070736d2006e29b204760.jpg

or

6+1 rope making machine (high volume twisting machine)​

High volume 6+1 rope making/twisting machine with traverse is intended for making professional ropes:

• 2-, 3-, 4- or 6-stranded;
  • With/without the core;
  • Left or right lay.

61-All.486c4d06d3040070736d2006e29b204766.jpg

Posts 10 to 12.
Thanks guys, but these admittedly fantastic machines are way beyond what I can afford, which is why I'm looking for home built ideas.

Posts 10 to 12.
Thanks guys, but these admittedly fantastic machines are way beyond what I can afford, which is why I'm looking for home built ideas.

YES,
but this topic was started by @obsidean12 with the question about endless ropewalking machines, which can be purchased !!

Just wondering if anyone has a rope walking machine and feedback. I am looking to purchase one and was wondering if they work well or not.

Thank you Uwek, point taken.
If you get any sharper, you'll cut yourself :cool:

I have to correct my earlier post - it is not Romanow -> it should be off course DOMANOFF

PL4 "endless" rope making machines with traverse are intended for making professional model ropes:
  • 2-, 3- or 4-stranded;
  • With/without the core;
  • Left or right lay.
View attachment 236584

or

6+1 rope making machine (high volume twisting machine)​

High volume 6+1 rope making/twisting machine with traverse is intended for making professional ropes:

• 2-, 3-, 4- or 6-stranded;
  • With/without the core;
  • Left or right lay.

View attachment 236583

Thanks for the information. I think I am ready to pull the trigger on either the Domanoff PL4 or the Zhl one. They seem to be about the same.

Thanks for the information. I think I am ready to pull the trigger on either the Domanoff PL4 or the Zhl one. They seem to be about the same.
I think there are minimum two differences

I think the ZHL can not make ropes with a core, and I also do not know the left and right lay.
On the other hand it can produce up to 6 strands, the Domanoff "only" 3 plus core (which is usually enough)

Only the 'cable' work rope, requires a core. The core usually used with 4 threads, where the core is just in the middle
I may be wrong, but as I go through the list of ropes required for my current model, I can't think of anything that needs a cable laid rope. Maybe the stays?

Back