Another Proxxon Modification.

I have just been using my Proxxon DB 250 lathe to make the bowsprit for Bounty. With about 35mm of 10mm dia dowel protruding the chuck, I notice that as I moved the gouge towards the end there was at least 2mm of deflection - it was not the dowel, but the spindle. I dismantled the headstock, took off the bearings & found they had a very pronounced 'rock' between the races. I bought a pair of SKF replacements (£10 inc. post), there was a lot less play in these. I fitted them using Loctite retaining fluid & reassembled. My DB250 now has no deflection in the spindle. This machine IMHO would have benefitted from having a spindle the full length of the headstock instead of only halfway, or even decent quality bearings, which would only have cost a few pennies more. Now that's sorted I must press on with the masts.

That "few pennies" may be their profit margin but yeah, if they had put in better bearings and passed the few pennies (and a better product) on to the customer it would be a net gain. They just seem to cheapen things up until it starts to affect sales and then they stop.

I would add another request to @PeteB Pete's original one (post above) to show us the steps to perform such replacements. If you have any videos or links to videos, that would be great.

I would add another request to @PeteB Pete's original one (post above) to show us the steps to perform such replacements. If you have any videos or links to videos, that would be great.
HeyJim, no vids, nor photos, nor links I'm afraid. It's a straight forward disassembly only needing a Philips, a Posidrive, & a flat screwdriver (for separating the two halves of the casing) + a small Allen key for releasing the drive belt sprocket.
Turn the lathe upside down & remove te bed, then unscrew all the screws revealed, then separate the two halves of the case - being careful of the wiring & PCB - lift out the shaft assy. detaching the belt, undo the sprocket grub screw & simply slide it & the bearings off of the shaft. Fit the replacement bearings to the shaft & simply re-assemble, using Loctite 609 on the o/d of the bearings. What makes this a simple task is that the bearings were not a 'press fit' on shaft. About a 30 min. job. Mine took longer because I had to dismantle first to get part #'s, but the new bearings came next day.

Stuart

Thanks very much for the info Stuart. I'm in the process of modding my MF70 Mill to take ER11 collets and will put some info here for anyone interested after I finish. Cheers Pete
yes, we all would like to know...will wait for your notes and images.

I forget to make a check on EBay and found one for 21 $ CAD from UK. Thanks for the tip, I verified my lathe DB250 with my 4 head chuck coupled to a Square carrier with back centre and 13/32" (10mm) shaft and pointed to the tailstock and saw the deviation just by turning with my hand the spindle. I will change the bearing, purchased done.

Last edited:
I did it before look here

Thanks Stephan, I did not saw your post before. Good pics too that will be helpful.

I first misreading the post and realize now that I need two bearings LOL!. I need to purchase another one.

Thanks Stephan, I did not saw your post before. Good pics too that will be helpful.

I first misreading the post and realize now that I need two bearings LOL!. I need to purchase another one.
It is a real approvment. Lot of noise reduction

I beleive you, and I pushed the purchase button on Ebay.ca for another one. Total cost 40$ incl. shipping for the two purchases.
Mine (made in Italy) cost £10 inc. post& 20% VAT = $15 Canadian. UK always had the reputation of "Rip-off Britain", but now it looks like it's you guys across the 'pond' who're the victims of 'rip-off' charges. Saying that, everything we buy from your side are subject to 20% VAT & courier 'rip-off' fees just for paying the custom charges for us.

Hmmm I paid something like less than 15 euro incl. Shipping. Look for an gear store in your country. Even the local hardware store should deliver them. 40 is much. The belt I ordered on Aliexpress just about 2 euro incl. Shipping

Thanks you both of you for the tips. Next time I will take the chance to find bearing locally, but I do not expect to much success. I am far away from Montrewal or Quebec, the gazoline cost is terrible now.

Back