Amerigo Vespucci - Mantua, Panart or OCCRE

Hello all
As I am about to complete my current project (Soleil Royal), I am looking into the next ship: Amerigo Vespucci.
I am considering 3 alternatives: Mantua 1:100, Panart 1:84, or OCCRE 1:100.
I am a bit reluctant to consider the 1:84 scale since this will mean a pretty long ship (125cm) and more difficult to fit in a display cabinet.
Based on experience building this ship, I would appreciate any comments, feedback and recommendations.
Thanks to all

Hello all
As I am about to complete my current project (Soleil Royal), I am looking into the next ship: Amerigo Vespucci.
I am a bit reluctant to consider the 1:84 scale since this will mean a pretty long ship (125cm) and more difficult to fit in a display cabinet.
Based on experience building this ship, I would appreciate any comments, feedback and recommendations.
Thanks to all
yea...I hear you. But the larger the scale, the more details you can show! ;) Larger scales should be easier to build, IMHO. Also, I wouldn't go just for a scale, I would rather look for a kit with the most detailed\quality parts in the first place. But the final decision is obviously - yours.

I agree here fully with Jim´s point
I would also take a look at the quality especially of the fittings and deck equipment and decide based on which one you like more

a very good bashed version of the 1:84 was build by my german friend Joachim alias @shipshobbyist so you can see what is possible in extreme with this kit

Hello all
Thanks to all
Hi Gilbertm, pay attention that I have felt so many negativities

Hello. I’m building the Mantua model at 1/100. It’s a good compromise. I compared with the 1/84 which I found very detailed but too big. As for the model from OCCRE. By following on Youtube the step by step construction, I realize that it is not as accurate and as well done as the 1/84 model that I start to build. The only flaw I can blame Mantua for: the instructions are not easy to follow and understand because they are too summarised and I did not find a reliable step on Youtube. It’s all about taste and patience.

I built the Panart 1:84 a few years ago and had a very pleasing result. The quality of the wood and other materials is excellent as are the instructions (mostly pictures). It is a large model (about 56" long) and this does permit lots of detail which is slow-going, but satisfying. I do not have a display case.

I am very down on Mantua kits--I bashed the Mantua Soleil Royal and am now working on an old version of the Mantua Sovereign of the Seas. For the price of the kit, the quality of the materials and technical validity of the model are truly disappointing. Worse, if you follow the plans, you will be in big trouble--they aren't accurate and one sheet of plans sometimes contradicts another. I heard that Mantua had acquired Panart, so I'd be wary of them, too because Mantua's poor quality may have seeped into Panart, but I don't know. But I can't believe that Mantua's Amerigo Vespucci would be any different than the Soleiel Royal and Sovereign of the Seas so I'd steer clear. Can't say anything about Occre because I've never seen one of their kits, but they would have to be pretty bad to be worse than Mantua.

Hello. I’m building the Mantua model at 1/100. It’s a good compromise. I compared with the 1/84 which I found very detailed but too big. As for the model from OCCRE. By following on Youtube the step by step construction, I realize that it is not as accurate and as well done as the 1/84 model that I start to build. The only flaw I can blame Mantua for: the instructions are not easy to follow and understand because they are too summarised and I did not find a reliable step on Youtube. It’s all about taste and patience.
Bonjour Sylvain
Thanks for your input
Greatly appreciated

I built the Panart 1:84 a few years ago and had a very pleasing result. The quality of the wood and other materials is excellent as are the instructions (mostly pictures). It is a large model (about 56" long) and this does permit lots of detail which is slow-going, but satisfying. I do not have a display case.
Hi Paul
Thanks for your input. It looks indeed that the Panart model allows to show lots of details

I am very down on Mantua kits--I bashed the Mantua Soleil Royal and am now working on an old version of the Mantua Sovereign of the Seas. For the price of the kit, the quality of the materials and technical validity of the model are truly disappointing. Worse, if you follow the plans, you will be in big trouble--they aren't accurate and one sheet of plans sometimes contradicts another. I heard that Mantua had acquired Panart, so I'd be wary of them, too because Mantua's poor quality may have seeped into Panart, but I don't know. But I can't believe that Mantua's Amerigo Vespucci would be any different than the Soleiel Royal and Sovereign of the Seas so I'd steer clear. Can't say anything about Occre because I've never seen one of their kits, but they would have to be pretty bad to be worse than Mantua.
Hi Thomas
Thanks for your input and for sharing your bad experience with Mantua.

Hello all
Thanks to all
Hi, I'm having the same dilemma. At the end of December my current project (The Endurance) will leave the shipwerft. In my search for a new challenge, I have indeed become very charmed by Panart's A-V. On a shopping trip to Antwerp (B) recently, I went to Ballien's shop. A very friendly lady then showed me the contents of the box, and I was very impressed by the quality of wood, drawings and other things. Most likely i will start in January 2023,

I also built the Panart model. Generally this is the better company. In this case the Kit is FANTASTIC. Over a hundred sub-builds that provide a variety and interest before the final assembly. It took me 5 years, was expensive, but worth every minute and penny. GO FOR IT.

Hi, I'm having the same dilemma. At the end of December my current project (The Endurance) will leave the shipwerft. In my search for a new challenge, I have indeed become very charmed by Panart's A-V. On a shopping trip to Antwerp (B) recently, I went to Ballien's shop. A very friendly lady then showed me the contents of the box, and I was very impressed by the quality of wood, drawings and other things. Most likely i will start in January 2023,
Thanks Alskabear
I hear you regarding the Panart model. It may well be the best option

I also built the Panart model. Generally this is the better company. In this case the Kit is FANTASTIC. Over a hundred sub-builds that provide a variety and interest before the final assembly. It took me 5 years, was expensive, but worth every minute and penny. GO FOR IT.
Thanks Stuglo
I agree that the Panart version is more expensive than the 2 others, but quality has a price. And over the 5 year period you needed, it becomes a much smaller amount.
By the way, do you have a build log for it? I'd be indeed interested.
Thanks

Thanks Stuglo
I agree that the Panart version is more expensive than the 2 others, but quality has a price. And over the 5 year period you needed, it becomes a much smaller amount.
By the way, do you have a build log for it? I'd be indeed interested.
Thanks
This was more than 15 years ago - these web sites were unknown to me if they even existed.

Back