Amerigo Vespucci - Best Kit ?

I have decided that the Amerigo Vespucci will be my next build. I am just now starting to research her and have watched several videos and build logs. All of this has convinced me to add her to the shipyard. The burning question is which kit? I would very much appreciate more educated or experienced opinions concerning the various kits. Price will not be the determining factor....I am looking for quality of building material, instructions, and level of detail. I believe the top contenders are Mamoli, Mantua and OcCre. Any opintions rating these kits or comparisons would be greatly appreciated.....which would you buy?

I have decided that the Amerigo Vespucci will be my next build. I am just now starting to research her and have watched several videos and build logs. All of this has convinced me to add her to the shipyard. The burning question is which kit? I would very much appreciate more educated or experienced opinions concerning the various kits. Price will not be the determining factor....I am looking for quality of building material, instructions, and level of detail. I believe the top contenders are Mamoli, Mantua and OcCre. Any opintions rating these kits or comparisons would be greatly appreciated.....which would you buy?
Hello Gene
I am currently building the Panart kit !:84 scale. You can have a look at my build log HERE
My initial feeling was quite positive in terms of quality and accuracy
I am now more skeptical as I am puzzled by 2 things:
- the wood strip quality is often very poor and splits very easily (in particular the Mahagony). I have separately purchased Mahagony strips in order to get better quality.
- the last part of the documents related to masts, yards and rigging is absolutely useless. No explanations, no real flow, just a series of pictures without knowing exactly what they are talking about. This part represents close to 50% of the work and it really sucks.

I know that Mantua has 2 models for the Vespucci. I decided to go for the larger one.
I have not seen any feedback on the Mamoli kit.
Regarding Occre, I have read several build logs that are quite nice.

Take a look at the Amerigo Vespucci build by Joachim - such a model is possible with a lot of bashing works

Hi Uwe
Impressive model built by Joachim
Do you know if he has created a build log?
I would definitely be interested
Thanks

Hi Uwe
Impressive model built by Joachim
Do you know if he has created a build log?
I would definitely be interested
Thanks
He made at this time a building log in the german forum - you have to be a member to see the photos (I think) - the membership is cost free

Unfortunately the log is not starting from the beginning ......

He made at this time a building log in the german forum - you have to be a member to see the photos (I think) - the membership is cost free

Unfortunately the log is not starting from the beginning ......
Thanks Uwe
I have registered to the German forum
I'll keep you posted

Take a look at the Amerigo Vespucci build by Joachim - such a model is possible with a lot of bashing works

Wow...what an impressive model. Joachim did a wonderful job....she is a beauty.

Hello Gene
I am currently building the Panart kit !:84 scale. You can have a look at my build log HERE
My initial feeling was quite positive in terms of quality and accuracy
I am now more skeptical as I am puzzled by 2 things:
- the wood strip quality is often very poor and splits very easily (in particular the Mahagony). I have separately purchased Mahagony strips in order to get better quality.
- the last part of the documents related to masts, yards and rigging is absolutely useless. No explanations, no real flow, just a series of pictures without knowing exactly what they are talking about. This part represents close to 50% of the work and it really sucks.

I know that Mantua has 2 models for the Vespucci. I decided to go for the larger one.
I have not seen any feedback on the Mamoli kit.
Regarding Occre, I have read several build logs that are quite nice.
I am following your build with great expectation....I relate well to your thought processes and I like the way you go about your work. Your build has been one of my inspirations to tackle this project.....I am worried about the lack of documentation on the rigging, etc. and I am looking forward to how you proceed and your thoughts on the kit when you complete.

Thanks Gene
Rigging will definitely be a challenge and I am moving very slowly here.
I now have access to the German forum and to Joachim's build log
Let me see if this helps.
You may want to give it a try as well

OK, excuse me for using this thread to organize my thoughts, but here is what I have found so far, please add/edit with any relevant info and I will update in notes section for each model.

Here are the kits I have found.

Mamoli MV57 1:150
Length: 28.4"
Height: 14.8"
Costs: $449
Notes:

Mantua Panart 741 1:84
Length: 49.2"
Height: 29"
Costs: $900
Notes: - Very large, thousands of parts, questionable instructions on rigging, etc. Several build logs, etc.

Mantua 799 1:100
Length: 39.4"
Height: 21.3"
Costs: $410
Notes:

OcCre 1:100
Length: 38.5"
Height: 22"
Costs: $375
Notes: Good instructions and videos, I like other OcCre models, good reputation.

Last edited:
I am just starting chapter 8 (the final chapter)) and completely agree with GilbertM's comments. I have no doubt, that when finished it will be a beautiful model and the best one that can be purchased, BUT...again I agree with GilbertM. I have replaced a lot of the wood strips with ones I purchased from ModelExpo that are far superior in quality. I also am missing some of the parts that I have been fortunate enough to have been able to either fabricate myself or buy elsewhere.

I also totally agree with GilbertM. Chapter 8 is a real dog! I will battle my way through it but be cursing Mantua at every step wasting my time trying to figure out the next step.

I do like your list - very well organized. I agree - a hard decision. These are my thoughts, but I am like you, I would not know what to do.

1) I usually go with the larger kit like the Mantua Panart 741 1:84 and I think that others also add value to the "community" of members building the same kit (shared knowledge).
2) OcCre is really good with pictorial type manual and really good plans and documentation of rigging.

Now, I will say something about my experience with both companies.
I built the Mantua Panart San Felipe and overall, I would have to give it 3 1/2 to 4 stars. Parts did not fit well and a lot of making stuff just work right. The pictorial manual was fair - the rigging part of the pictorial was fair, but the rigging was NOT acceptable as far as it should be done. In other words, the Rigging line for the Shrounds just loop up and over the mast (yes, like it should be), but they have NO seizing - just plain line everywhere - and there is a reason for this - NOT enough rigging line. I had to order like 10 extra .25mm packs to do it right.

I built the OcCre Santisima Trinidad. The plan view that shows the belaying pin layout (with numbers) beside each belaying point - DID NOT match the numbering sequence coming from the yards and sails. In other words, the foremast rigging layout was tieing off at belaying pins at the rear of the ship !!! and the Mizzen rigging was tieing off at the fore of the ship - so the rigging was completely off - However, in their defense, the SF was completely overhauled as a new design and they probably corrected all the rigging problems.

I know my post probably doesn't help, but with me being a sucker for larger kits, and the community building the same kit, I would probably wind up getting the Panart 1:84 and just take the dive. And besides, I have a tendency for being a glutton for punishment - LOL

I am about to finish part 1 of the Mantua/Panart kit. so far I am pleased with it and glad that I spent the extra money. I terms of hours spent building per € I am sure it will be better value in the end.
The deciding factor for me was the little boats which in the Occre kit are metal castings but with Panart they have to be built POF and given that there are 10 of them it makes for a more interesting build.
Reading previous posts I am now quite concerned about chapter 8, but I´m probably 18 months off that. In the meantime I´m enjoying the build.

Thanks Gene
Rigging will definitely be a challenge and I am moving very slowly here.
I now have access to the German forum and to Joachim's build log
Let me see if this helps.
You may want to give it a try as well
One thing I am curious about, and have spent quite a bit of plans studying to no avail, is how the spars are attached to the mast or are they? The 1787 Vanguard used parrel beads on most spars or had double rope wraps around the mast.

Another interesting thing about the Occre kit compared to the Panart is the hoisting mechanism that is made of brass with gears that actually mesh compared to the Occre just using wooden dowels.

One thing I am curious about, and have spent quite a bit of plans studying to no avail, is how the spars are attached to the mast or are they? The 1787 Vanguard used parrel beads on most spars or had double rope wraps around the mast.

Another interesting thing about the Occre kit compared to the Panart is the hoisting mechanism that is made of brass with gears that actually mesh compared to the Occre just using wooden dowels.
here is a very cool video, Mantares

Again, very informative. I lived on a 26 foot sloop in San Francisco bay in the seventies and sailed a lot up and down the California coast adjacent to S.F. so these two videos were fun to watch and brought back a lot of memories.

Back