Amati Vanguard Rigging

I am working on my first real build, (Amati Vanguard). I am also a retired surgeon so I need to know everything before I do it. I am suppose to put pendants on the mast before I place the shroud, but I am trying to figure out where they go later/connect to???? (Number 1 and number 2). any thoughts???

image.jpg

I also have the same book. It is a super example of the saying, "a picture is worth a thousand words". Very clear illustrations on every aspect of rigging. Very few words in this book. I can't imagine an author attempting to explain rigging through text.

I think the pendants are connected usually to the chain plates with a hook and a ring attached to a pendant lower block. These were rigged to lie in between the shrouds but because they had lower hooks, could be released to allow haulage of goods and loads on deck or onto the ship. They also offered a good mast support while shrouds are being rigged.

So the pendant line would come down from the top of the mast, have a block attached quite high off the deck( probably a double block or a violin block), and then a lower block with the ring (becket) and hook to lift loads or stowed on another ring on the chain plate.

Below is an example of two pendants (four are shown, 2 x port and starboard). Here violin blocks have been used about mid main mast height off the deck). You can also see the hooks at the lower end attached with lines to the chainplates.

143D3193-2647-45B4-9C89-0540A0D460DB.jpeg

PeterG

Last edited:
Back