Am I over my head with this project?

First, let me say that I’m a beginner at wood ship model making. I have some experience with woodworking, hand carving, building small tables of my own design but not ship building. I also did some watch repair in my time so I have some familiarity working with small details.

I didn’t choose this model, it chose me. I found in my garage. It’s the POB Bluenose. I forgot all about it. I think I got it as a gift 20-25 years ago. I tried to find something about the manufacturer but no luck. I know it was made in Spain. Anyway, it looks like a beautiful ship, something I always wanted to do plus I don’t have to spend extra money buying a new kit at this time. See photos below.

My question is, am I taking on too much with this model?

Also, I notice that the keel is very slightly bent. What would be the best way of straightening it out.

Thank you.

C9284E54-A999-4D9C-885E-CDE5C0604D85.jpeg

AA2E6CAA-078B-4613-85FF-7D51690CD2D6.jpeg

C5F69855-9BF2-4F86-82EC-4760DA8922F4.jpeg

2EB7002E-E803-4493-815F-12C11585060E.jpeg

I think that you should be OK, plus you have what look like nice clear plan's and English instructions, just take your time and check everything twice, but most of all Enjoy the build,

Best regards John,

I did the Bluenose II as my second build, It is not that hard.
Your kit is marked Panther - Aristo Craft however, the scale, plans, instruction book, box and parts cards are identical to the Artesania Latina kit. If you want info, start there.
The keel frame will flex back into shape (flat) with a bit of steam and a clamp or two.
Go for it.

...only if you give up before it's done. Problems like a bent keel can be corrected. If the keel bend can't be made as straight as you would like, using at a pattern and cutting and trimming a new one from fresh wood. A ship model is tackled one problem at a time with patience. It's a series of hurdles over a long period of time. All of us here are here to help answer questions and help with advice and ideas. There are several Blue Nose builders here. Search the forum and you'll come across lots of research info and logs that make great guides. The kit instructions are really just the beginning.

Best wishes!

If you have any doubts about your skills, grab a copy of Frank Mastini's "Ship Modeling Simplified." It should explain all you need to know.
The Bluenose II was Mr. Mastini's favorite go to model for beginner builders. Every Saturday he would be at Model Expo in NJ giving instruction & build tips on this model, (or any other you were working on)! He would get you up and running, every week you could come in with your kit & he would assess your progress & move forward with you on it! Behind the counter he had this kit in various stages of building to show you the "details & how to's" on his model.
I second Stevinne, "Get the book"!

My advice is to remember two things…any kit, small or large, is always one piece at a time. So concentrate on each piece and each step…one at a time. Second, it is normally wood…if you make a mistake you can make a new part. So one piece at a time!

I encourage you to keep a build log. It helps document your build and gives others information about what you try and what works for you. We all use our own techniques and I finds others are better.

I encourage you to keep a build log. It helps document your build and gives others information about what you try and what works for you. We all use our own techniques and I finds others are better. I will definitely keep a build log. Thanks

I definitely will. Thanks.
By the way, watching some history about the Bluenose on YouTube, I’ve been made aware that 2021 is the 100 year anniversary of the ship.
Funny, I found the model (or it found me) in my garage a few weeks ago. Maybe it’s an omen.

Back