Albatros by Occre - second build [COMPLETED BUILD]

some more pictures more sails up.

IMG_20220221_181218.jpgIMG_20220221_181227.jpgIMG_20220221_181238.jpgIMG_20220221_181247.jpgIMG_20220221_181258.jpg

The next picture shows one sail that looks so undersized it is driving me crazy is it me what do you guys think.I would like to try making one that fits better but dont think I can get it to match.

InkedIMG_20220221_181247_LI.jpg

Good catch on the mast and a good solution. About the question of the sail size - I have too little knowledge of this type of ship to help there.

So all the standing rigging is finished.
I started rigging the sails
View attachment 291782

As I started looking at the sails I noticed a big BO BO I cut the top mast on the main to short so not to screw up the whole thing I came up with a plan.The red arrow shows the mast that is short by about an inch the blue arrow shows my remedy.I will cut the mast off and add a new one of the right length and doweling them together at the blue arrow should not show if I do it right.View attachment 291785
Good afternoon BLD SHPS, sorry if I point out that the blocks are assembled in reverse

IMG_20220218_150331.jpg

some more pictures more sails up.

View attachment 292684View attachment 292685View attachment 292686View attachment 292687View attachment 292688

The next picture shows one sail that looks so undersized it is driving me crazy is it me what do you guys think.I would like to try making one that fits better but dont think I can get it to match.

View attachment 292689

I do not know the kit, but when I compare your model with the Occre-model on their page there are two problems visible

12500-albatros-02.jpg InkedIMG_20220221_181247_LI (1).jpg

1) first it seems, that you installed the sail 90° wrong - the stitching line should be vertical and not horizontal (red arrows)
2) could it be, that the angles of your mast is maybe not correct comparing to the drawing? On the Occre model, the two masts are more or less parallel, on your model they are slightly in a "V" -> with this the distance of the masts where this triangle sail is installed is getting bigger, and your sail is looking too small

Also the second sail on the topmast is looking a little bit strange. Does this one has a triangle form?

I do not know the kit, but when I compare your model with the Occre-model on their page there are two problems visible

View attachment 292709 View attachment 292710

1) first it seems, that you installed the sail 90° wrong - the stitching line should be vertical and not horizontal (red arrows)
2) could it be, that the angles of your mast is maybe not correct comparing to the drawing? On the Occre model, the two masts are more or less parallel, on your model they are slightly in a "V" -> with this the distance of the masts where this triangle sail is installed is getting bigger, and your sail is looking too small

Also the second sail on the topmast is looking a little bit strange. Does this one has a triangle form?

Thank you for the reply yes main mast is off the only thing I can figure is the slot in the frame under the deck is off.As for the sail did you ever keep looking at something and not really see whats wrong,I will turn the sail vertical thanks.The other sail is not rigged just hanging there.

So....just an observation......your shop is WAY TOO CLEAN and organized! ( I'm jealous!)
I worked for a Carpenter when I was a kid 11 yrs. old and was taught to work clean and organized and really not comfortable any other way now.

Thank you for the reply yes main mast is off the only thing I can figure is the slot in the frame under the deck is off.As for the sail did you ever keep looking at something and not really see whats wrong,I will turn the sail vertical thanks.The other sail is not rigged just hanging there.
This is a positive example, why builing logs are helping - four eyes will realize more than two - and we have here thousands of eyes

Looking better now with sail orientation fixed, maybe a bit undersized still, but unless you want to hand make a new one it will do.

As for pulley orientation being wrong, we all learn as we go, and this being only your second ship you have done well.

I am sure you will not make same mistake with next rigging you do.

I am a master of doing somethings wrong the first time, the only thing is if I fixed it before posting photos for other to help identify my errors.

Looking better now with sail orientation fixed, maybe a bit undersized still, but unless you want to hand make a new one it will do.
I thought of making a new one but dont think I can match it so I will live with it for now maybe I will tackle all new sails later on.Oh and thanks for the compliment.

As for pulley orientation being wrong, we all learn as we go, and this being only your second ship you have done well.

I am sure you will not make same mistake with next rigging you do.

I am a master of doing somethings wrong the first time, the only thing is if I fixed it before posting photos for other to help identify my errors.
I was once told that everybody makes mistakes the trick is not to make the same one twice.

Congratulations for finishing her - the sail is really looking better
And now? any new project on the table?

Congratulations for finishing her - the sail is really looking better
And now? any new project on the table?
Thank You.Next project will probably be The Endurance by Occre But right now starting to concentrate on my boat for fishing season so will start it in the fall.

Back