Airfix 1/600 HMS Hood

14/01/2023

Had some bench time again and added some schratch build support to the "office" beneath the aft searchlight platform (picture attached)Hood X 1.jpg

Most of the guns (main guns, secondary and AA guns) are awaiting installation, as well as all the life boats and other detail, but I am going to leave that off until I did some painting on the old lady - that is the deck, the existing superstructure, the hull, including the waterline and lower part of the hull.

Ettienne, do you have two Hood blogs on this thread? I've been commenting on 'the other'??

A tip.....

your main guns/turrets will look a lot more convincing if you can fashion some blast bags at the base of the barrels.

I used thick pva, applied as a blob, set the assembly so the glue droops under gravity untill it sets.
If it doesn't work out first time, pva is easily removed for a second try.

A great tip indeed Pugwash, thanks. I was looking at the main guns over the week-end, and also some pictures. I have realise that to present the Hood as a earlier than 1941 version, I need to replicate the blast bags. That is if I have interpreted the pictures correctly? Very nice tip indeed.

All RN battleships/battlecruisers (except Nelson and Rodney) had gun blast-bags throughout their lives.

22/01/2023

Good day shipmates,

During the week I have added masts and the mast aft. Did struggle a bit to get a good fit (aft) Hood Z.jpgbut it worked out reasonably well I hope. She is now ready for the receiving some more Tamiya surface primer, then a grey colour as base. If there is time (before moving house again) the lower hull and water line will also be added. At this point I am leaving off the shafts and props as it will interfere with masking, whether I am going to spray or brush paint it.

The 'Hood' site maintains that the hull below the waterline was always grey NOT red.

Austro-Hungary among others.

cd2449f4f4a073919a13930a8d8028e9.jpg
So happy to see your enthusiasm for Airfix ships.
You express a desire to follow with another.

Here's a suggestion.....the Hood kit is a very old molding, probably one of their first 1:600 kits.
Between the wars Hood would sail in company with Repulse and or Renown.

The Repulse kit is one of their last issued kits in this scale and its details noticeably more refined.

Like the hood, the Repulse lends itself to modification to earlier times in her history and is, in my humble opinion, a much more handsome ship.

Last edited:

View attachment 353051
Very interesting indeed. Also looks like a brilliant model.

View attachment 353051
So happy to see your enthusiasm for Airfix ships.
You express a desire to follow with another.

Here's a suggestion.....the Hood kit is a very old molding, probably one of their first 1:600 kits.
Between the wars Hood would sail in company with Repulse and or Renown.

The Repulse kit is one of their last issued kits in this scale and its details noticeably more refined.

Like the hood, the Repulse lends itself to modification to earlier times in her history and is, in my humble opinion, a much more handsome ship.
I know not the reason, but since I young lad, I had liking for the Airfix shipmodels. Never built many of them, actually only one many moons ago. Cannot remember which one that was. What I do remember was that I have also built a kit issued by Airfix that had two ship models in it - tiny they were. They were in those plastic bubble packaging. I think it could have been some destroyers (long ago, in the 70's).

These days there are so many models available but still the old Airfix ones just lures me over with the the lots of scartch building that needs to be done, the simplicity and the loads of nostalgia that goes with so many of them. For me those kits represents very old school building, if you need something you build it or make it.

I will look out for the other kits. Would love to have all of them at some point and there were quite a few, but preference is for ships from the RN. Airfix did bring a few post-war shipmodels? Unfortunately the older Airfix kits are quite scarce her in SA.

Airfix's only foray into 1;1200 scale was their 'Sink the Bizmark' series which was recently re-released as a boxed set. Somewhere in my loft stash I have dozens of those little 'Cossack' destroyers!

The destroyers and Bizmarck are the weakest of the set, but the rest are lovely little kits (The Hood is a nice rendition but needs screwing down due to a built in warp, but as they are all waterline, that's a doddle)

Last edited:
Another reference (from the 'HOOD' site...
snook1.jpg

Back