Air brush paint area/booth

I will shortly need to make up some sort of paint 'booth' to do some air brush work. I did a quick search and found one but that one will not work for my needs as it used a shop vac and I no longer own one. At a previous home I just let the overspary from painting in my garage 'fly' but cannot do that now. Does anyone have some photos and a short description of how yours was made.

I have one from a hobby supplier that works well, but many build their own. Most are vented using clothes dryer type flexible ducts wither through a window or a hole in the wall. There are several you tube videos about building your own. I would get one bigger than you think you need.

Thanks for the comments:

I really don't want to use/need a commercial 'booth' as I do have the tools and probably the materials to assemble my own, just need some hints on size and air handling design guesstimates.
As far as You Tube - I think I had best take a look there - completely slipped my mind as a source

I cobbled one up from an appropriate sized cardboard box, a couple of old 130mm PC case fans that I replaced because they were noisy and a furnace filter. I don’t have a picture as it was temporary and has since been dismantled. I just layed the box on it’s side, cut a couple 130mm holes in the bottom of the box (which is now the back) and used some small screws, nuts and washers to fix the fans to the cardboard. The fans sucked air into the box and out the back. I taped a furnace filter inside the box covering the fans and Bob’s-your-uncle, a spray booth. One thing I did notice was that I could have used more light inside the box.
Good luck with your project and may the winds be fair…

Last edited:
I cobbled one up from an appropriate sized cardboard box, a couple of old 130mm PC case fans that I replaced because they were noisy and a furnace filter. I don’t have a picture has it was temporary and has since been dismantled. I just layed the box on it’s side, cut a couple 130mm holes in the bottom of the box (which is now the back) and used some small screws, nuts and washers to fix the fans to the cardboard. The fans sucked air into the box and out the back. I taped a furnace filter inside the box covering the fans and Bob’s-your-uncle, a spray booth. One thing I did notice was that I could have used more light inside the box.
I believe lighting is a very important consideration. My booth was poorly lighted. I used some strip COB lights that I picked up at a surplus place. I attached them with double sided tape to the top of the booth. It is now really bright and a pleasure to use.

My only comments on home made is check on what your spraying, if its flammable you need a proper fan that wont catch on fire when flammable fumes pass thru it.
Rob - I agree. I've painted several automobiles and made up a garage paint booth with an explosion proof fan. Not an inexpensive item in that size.

I believe lighting is a very important consideration. My booth was poorly lighted. I used some strip COB lights that I picked up at a surplus place. I attached them with double sided tape to the top of the booth. It is now really bright and a pleasure to use.

Interesting lights - and may be what I'll order if Lowe's/Home Depot don't have something inexpensive

I cobbled one up from an appropriate sized cardboard box, a couple of old 130mm PC case fans that I replaced because they were noisy and a furnace filter. I don’t have a picture as it was temporary and has since been dismantled. I just layed the box on it’s side, cut a couple 130mm holes in the bottom of the box (which is now the back) and used some small screws, nuts and washers to fix the fans to the cardboard. The fans sucked air into the box and out the back. I taped a furnace filter inside the box covering the fans and Bob’s-your-uncle, a spray booth. One thing I did notice was that I could have used more light inside the box.
I was curious if case fans would work. I have a few 120mm fans but don't think I have any 120VAC versions now, just the usual 12Volt versions. As far as the actual booth - either cardboard or luan plywood will be my material of choice ( with a strong lean towards cardboard )

I was curious if case fans would work. I have a few 120mm fans but don't think I have any 120VAC versions now, just the usual 12Volt versions. As far as the actual booth - either cardboard or luan plywood will be my material of choice ( with a strong lean towards cardboard )
I guess I should have mentioned that I used an old 12V power supply I had laying around. But you could also use a cordless tool battery or equal I’m just not sure of the run time.

I guess I should have mentioned that I used an old 12V power supply I had laying around. But you could also use a cordless tool battery or equal I’m just not sure of the run time.
For me, not a big deal but others may not aware that there are other voltage and AC or DC versions of these fans. I could dig the power supply out of the HP case I have but may try to upgrade that one to WIN 12 if it becomes necessary. My tool batteries are 20VDC or less then 12VDC but is a potential choice for some

For me, not a big deal but others may not aware that there are other voltage and AC or DC versions of these fans. I could dig the power supply out of the HP case I have but may try to upgrade that one to WIN 12 if it becomes necessary. My tool batteries are 20VDC or less then 12VDC but is a potential choice for some
I’ve not had the opportunity to use this but it looks interesting. I don’t know if they make it for other brands

I just wait for a nice day and spray outside on a table. spring is on the way so hopefully catch some decent weather

I built my own paint booth several years ago. Plywood sides, top and bottom, scaled for my needs. I use a bathroom vent for exhaust fan. Works well for me. I spray acrylic, lacquers and enamels. The motor is not explosion proof, however I have never had a flame or fire occur. I believe it is because you have to be in the explosive limits of the solvents you're using and that arears to be hard to do with an air brush. A full sized spray gun might be very different. Your own results may differ.

I built this from some old furniture board and a piece of scrap acrylic to close off the top section to increase the flow if needed. I used two old bathroom fans boxed at the top and back which I vented outside with some pvc flexible ducting hose from a tumble dryer. So I could put some filter cloth over the fans I used some chicken wire to support the cloth. The filter cloth is for cooking hoods and is cut from a roll. I use very cheap dry wall lining paper to cover the booth interior which I change out as necessary. I recycled an old under shelf bathroom light for the final touch. Looks terrible, works great, cost virtually nothing to build and I can (almost) fit my Cutty Sark into it :).

rpJ8l8jog7BCBDIVfL26QW0Fr6R4cjkLCkgSK4Vmo379nugHqmyOTU84zyBom537xW89RdO3DNw6UrU9gZzQLgTERg_i8VA1AkhHJZF7M9v2owz9lR3qyFBzc2QSJNzMpfa5fVqhm3zD_V5DjaUwi0c

I built this from some old furniture board and a piece of scrap acrylic to close off the top section to increase the flow if needed. I used two old bathroom fans boxed at the top and back which I vented outside with some pvc flexible ducting hose from a tumble dryer. So I could put some filter cloth over the fans I used some chicken wire to support the cloth. The filter cloth is for cooking hoods and is cut from a roll. I use very cheap dry wall lining paper to cover the booth interior which I change out as necessary. I recycled an old under shelf bathroom light for the final touch. Looks terrible, works great, cost virtually nothing to build and I can (almost) fit my Cutty Sark into it :).

rpJ8l8jog7BCBDIVfL26QW0Fr6R4cjkLCkgSK4Vmo379nugHqmyOTU84zyBom537xW89RdO3DNw6UrU9gZzQLgTERg_i8VA1AkhHJZF7M9v2owz9lR3qyFBzc2QSJNzMpfa5fVqhm3zD_V5DjaUwi0c
I like the cost of your booth - and might even dig out some odd materials I have - but will need to find or purchase a cheap bathroom fan

Back