Ahoy there! Bertie from Britain requesting permission to come aboard!

Ahoy there, shipmates!

I’m Bertie McBoatface (not entirely my real name) from Leek, in the county of Staffordshire, England. I’ve been a scale modeller since 1965, always in plastic and mostly aircraft, though ships would occasionally sail across my bench. Earlier this year I chanced on a build thread of a wooden PoB ship model. I was hooked. These things are not simply an interesting and difficult challenge, but the results are truly beautiful. Even non-modellers seem to find them so.

My first build was the Vanguard Models Zulu herring drifter, Lady Isabella. I learned a lot and made something of which I was very proud. I also made a lot of mistakes! Sensing that I still had many more mistakes to make, I have started a build of the OcCre Beagle. I am regarding this as a training model, and try to forgive my blunders as fast as I make them. My goal is simply to finish it while learning as much as possible in the process. Maybe the third kit on the slipway will be finished to a higher standard?

I’m almost 140 hours into the Beagle build so far. I have posted a build log up to that point on Britmodeller, but there’s understandably very little interest (and advice) on that forum, as it is predominantly devoted to plastic aircraft kits. I will start a build log here as soon as possible, bring you up to date with my comedy of errors and then continue here in what seems to be a friendly, knowledgeable and helpful forum.

I've attached a picture of my completed Zulu and my latest progress photo from the Beagle. As you will realise, I haven't got very far yet!

P6200006.JPG

PC020002.JPG

Welcome aboard!
Thank you!
Hello and welcome
Thanks
Hello and welcome aboard :) Thumbsup
Thanks, good to be here.
Hello Bertie,

Welcome. You did a beautiful job with your Zulu.

Bill
Thank you Bill. Much credit must go to the Vanguard Models kit. I struggled and cursed it at the time but with hindsight it was a very good kit for a beginner with good instructions and good quality materials and design.

Back