Acrylic paint sealer

Does anyone know a way or product that seals acrylic paint so it protects it from scratches but won’t leave the mat paint looking glossy ?

Matt acrylic varnish maybe? Vallejo makes one (brushes on nicely.) Liquitex also. I use it a lot.

I use Vallejo same as Mike for small parts and the Krylon Paul suggests for larger areas. Good idea to test first though.
I was literally going to recommend the same product! I've used it to cover up glossy paint with success. I've also used it on shiny rope with great results.

Matt Varnish 6.JPG

Believe it or not, I have good luck with my trusty small can of Minwax polyacrylic and you can get it in any sheen you want. Depending on your needle size, straight or 1:1 varnish:water in the airbrush, 2-3 light coats. You can use water-based polyurethane as well, I've sprayed that right on, but prefer the polyacrylic, lower VOCs. An 8oz (smallest) can will last you the rest of your modelling career., <$10. If you are using a regular brush, use the polyurethane, less drippy. You can get any sheen you want there too.

For sheens on many 1:24 or smaller models, I think satin looks the best. Glossy is for very specific effects but you might find that matte, ultimately, looks too textured. You kind of have to consider scaling your light scatter, and thus your sheen, on wood along with your model, if that makes any sense.

IMHO. Best to experiment experiment experiment.

Thank you guys. Also I am trying to figure out which model of the Soleil Royal I want, I’ve been looking at Artesanía Latina But I also looked at ZHL model. Has anyone worked with this model or any ZHL models before?

Back