A mystery kit from many years ago

The bundle below of bits and pieces was gifted to me by one our neighbors. It’s been passed down from estates of his Grandfather, his father and now by him. He has no interest in model ship building and hopes I can finish the build. It was started in the early 50’s and has lived on dusty shelves for 70 or so years. The photos below show what I have to start with.

How it arrived.

74486E69-C595-4004-96A7-085251F891C5.jpeg

The hull bits.

454E8C57-DFEB-4521-8B10-D649C9CABF85.jpeg

The hull shape.

EDC1D184-7D4C-4004-961F-3713AA596CA9.jpeg

Data on the motor and instructions for the RC assembly.

33B6DD9F-D28F-495F-AAEC-064F41B4C3EE.jpeg

The RC components “breadboarded”

A5B1E38C-4611-4BB8-B7AB-CFAC32B79079.jpeg

So my friends chime in and tell me what you think. Is it a version of a Christ Craft runabout, a Chris Craft cabin cruiser, or … are there any ideas of how to build this little beauty.

I’m leaning towards a static build not RC. Maybe a Mahogany deck, maybe….

Long story short, the Pathfinder needs a lot of help with this project.

Jan

Looks like a fun restoration (continuation) to take on. Of course, I have nothing intelligent to say about what we are looking at - I just know about teeth and the Bible and stuff like that.

I hope you're not taking on the challenge under compulsion...that would take the joy out of it. If so, you might need to invoke one of my life rules: today is not your day to make your problem, my problem... Try again tomorrow... ROTF

Looks like a fun restoration (continuation) to take on. Of course, I have nothing intelligent to say about what we are looking at - I just know about teeth and the Bible and stuff like that.

I hope you're not taking on the challenge under compulsion...that would take the joy out of it. If so, you might need to invoke one of my life rules: today is not your day to make your problem, my problem... Try again tomorrow... ROTF
Nope, no challenge yet, just looking for input as I don’t have a clue. I’ve worked my way through Google images looking at models that are similar hull shapes. I’m guessing the scale is in between 1/8 to 1/16. But with three builds in the shipyard this rebuild is a “future” project.

Jan

I haven't got a clue how to calculate scale, but the hull is about the same size as my RC Lobster boat which is 1"to the foot.

The approximate dimensions.

fullsizeoutput_281.jpeg

The hull planking has held up very well over the years. It's sealed with whatever was the method years ago. Reminds me of "SIG Supercoat" and RC plane days.

Jan

Last edited:
Jan,
Although your paperwork shows the kit's manufacturer, it looks very much like a Sterling kit. Sterling was very popular back in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Mostly offering "motor" models where the builder had the option of creating a static or RC version of the kit. All kits came with the hardware for the RC version.

The only reason I'm familiar with the topic is a neighbor of a friend passed away and an uncompleted Sterling model was offered to me to finish. I did take it, but can offer no personal photos of mine as it is in storage. It was the Chris Craft 63' Motor Yacht. The actual length of the model is 40" long. My kit is missing hardware and plan set pages. I've searched forums and sources to try and get a set of plans, but no success. Sterling was bought by the parent company of the Estes Model Rocket company. They no longer maintain or source any of the Sterling plan sets.

Below are some photos of the Sterling model I have. They are photos I downloaded from the internet just for illustration. They are not the photos of the kit I have.

I would suggest searching online for the kit's manufacturer. Pretty confident you will be able to find yours. There are quite a few forums that focus on Sterling models. If you can find your kit you can find the scale. Most likely on one of the forums.

th-2817863571.jpeg
th-4176651179.jpegth-112963378.jpegth-949702082.jpeg

Hi Ken.

Wow that is great information. Thank you, any and all information is appreciated, The only instructions included with the hull were for the RC part. Great to have a piece the puzzle solved.

Thanks again

Jan

I believe the old Dumas kit of the 1954 Chris Commander is close to what you have. I don't think yours was a Dumas kit but it is very similar. This one is 36 inches long at 1/12 scale. It was supposed to have the lights in the bow end of the hull, but were not put in as I disliked the idea of just glueing them to the hull. This one is RC, and is about 20 years old when it was given to me in an unfinished state.

1696443836182.jpeg

1696443912912.jpeg

1696443985128.jpeg

1696444078127.jpeg

NP Jan. Two things I noticed that piqued my interest is the similarity in the rib construction and the portals are identical. I bet if you found a forum and uploaded a couple of photos you would have your answer and any others in no time flat.

Jan,
Although your paperwork shows the kit's manufacturer, it looks very much like a Sterling kit. Sterling was very popular back in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Mostly offering "motor" models where the builder had the option of creating a static or RC version of the kit. All kits came with the hardware for the RC version.

The only reason I'm familiar with the topic is a neighbor of a friend passed away and an uncompleted Sterling model was offered to me to finish. I did take it, but can offer no personal photos of mine as it is in storage. It was the Chris Craft 63' Motor Yacht. The actual length of the model is 40" long. My kit is missing hardware and plan set pages. I've searched forums and sources to try and get a set of plans, but no success. Sterling was bought by the parent company of the Estes Model Rocket company. They no longer maintain or source any of the Sterling plan sets.

Below are some photos of the Sterling model I have. They are photos I downloaded from the internet just for illustration. They are not the photos of the kit I have.

I would suggest searching online for the kit's manufacturer. Pretty confident you will be able to find yours. There are quite a few forums that focus on Sterling models. If you can find your kit you can find the scale. Most likely on one of the forums.

View attachment 398398
View attachment 398396View attachment 398397View attachment 398399
That's not small lol

Argh, working my way through Google Images looking at Sterling, etc. build pictures. There are many,many, many.

Jan

It's definitely a Sterling kit. Not sure of the model Chris Craft that you have but it does have the same construction characteristics of my 63 Motor Yacht. Go to "BOATS" on the RC Groups forum and search for Sterling 63' Motor Yacht and you'll find tons of info and probably parts and plans for your kit. I think there's a build of my 63 there too. As for Sterling Models they are out of business as mentioned here and Estes Rockets did buy them out after they stopped making models. Seems like there was a problem over who had the rights to make Chris Craft models and Dumas picked up the rights after Sterling went out of business. When I went to buy my 63 back in 1996 I contacted PanAm Distributors in Miami, Fl. and they told me about the company going out of business. So I asked them who bought their last 63 model kit and they told about a hobby shop in Punta Gorda, Fl. not too far North of Bonita Springs, Fl. where I lived. So I went there and there it was, the last 63 model sold by Pan Am and I bought it for $125. I also got the Corvette boat model by Sterling at the same time. Both these models are still available here and there unbuilt but the price has gone up to $400 to $500 for each kit. If I could still look at my Sterling catalog I could tell you exactly what model you have but that catalog is long gone now. Incidentally the fittings kit for that model was sold separately so you still may find this kit for sale online. It has all the deck fittings and other potmetal parts in it so it will be worth looking for. Should cost around $150 if it's complete. Sold for $65 originally.
Just looked up Sterling Model boat kits online and your boat should be the 1950 model Chris Craft Catalina with flying bridge. 47" long and one is for sale unbuilt for $500 at the site I viewed. Hope this helps. Pete.

Last edited:
Back