A Dutch Fluyt in shell first, reconstructing the "Ghost ship" scale 1:36

@Maarten I just discovered this build and went through all 12 pages in a few hours of reading. Thank you for taking so much time to explain your research and build techniques along with the multiple photographs of each step along the way. Truly amazing work and such attention to detail.

Indeed as someone else noted earlier, it is like being on a 17th century shipyard build site. Since I'm new to POF building I'm learning much from you and others regarding actual techniques used in the day.

Thanks again for your patience in explaining what you are doing and why.

@Maarten I just discovered this build and went through all 12 pages in a few hours of reading. Thank you for taking so much time to explain your research and build techniques along with the multiple photographs of each step along the way. Truly amazing work and such attention to detail.

Indeed as someone else noted earlier, it is like being on a 17th century shipyard build site. Since I'm new to POF building I'm learning much from you and others regarding actual techniques used in the day.

Thanks again for your patience in explaining what you are doing and why.
Hi Allegheny,

Thx for your comment. Actually this is a new category not POF but FOP. :)
POF is plank on frame, let's call shell first frame on plank or FOP. Hopefully more people will consider FOP for their future builds.

PS just kidding.

I’m absolutely fascinated. I’ve read and re-read your log several times. Your research. comparisons and interpretations just boggle my mind. Then to see you replicating in miniature your accumulated data, all I can say is “WOW”. POF or FOP?? ? Your build is in a class all by itself.

Jan

Hi Allegheny,

Thx for your comment. Actually this is a new category not POF but FOP. :)
POF is plank on frame, let's call shell first frame on plank or FOP. Hopefully more people will consider FOP for their future builds.

PS just kidding.
Hello @Maarten
It is indeed a very interesting methodology and one that has captivated me - especially watching you explain each step of the FOP build process.

I also agree with @Pathfinder65 wholeheartedly, that this build is in a "class all by itself"!

I don't really care whether or not it's been called FOP or FOB, one thing is for sure, to me this is an otherworldly build: it's as if you're looking at those pictures of 17th century shipyards, where they show the shell-first method of shipbuilding.

Not much progress on the Zwaan too much other things on the to do list at the moment.

I only ran a test for making treenails with thread cutting plates.
Sizes M2,5 M2 M1,6 and M1
These create treenails 2mm, 1,5 mm, 1,2 mm and 0,7 mm.
20230710_110136.jpg

This works perfect for all the treenails I need when the first frame timbers are fitted.

Yes another row of planks is added on SB and PS side making a total of 5 per side.
20230716_211159.jpg
20230716_211228.jpg
20230716_211242.jpg

You slowly see the typical fluyt shape develloping on the stern.
20230716_211415.jpg
20230717_202624.jpg

On the bow it is stil completely rectangular in shape.
20230716_211253.jpg
20230717_093958.jpg

The last plank in the 5th row is shaped.
20230717_200351.jpg

The total floor consists of 6 rows as wide as the center frame member at 1/3 of the hull length.
20230717_202358.jpg
20230717_202549.jpg
To this frame member the bilge futtocks and bilge planks will be fitted.

Each plank takes up to one hour, so one strake of planks 3 hours per side. 6 more hours and work on the bilge can start.

And an overview sofar.
20230718_101156.jpg

Witaj
Ładnie ci to wychodzi, bardzo mi się podoba. Dalej będę śledził z przyjemnością. Pozdrawiam Mirek

Hello
You're doing great, I like it a lot. I will follow with pleasure. Regards, Mirek

Last edited by a moderator:
Back