a chart of woods for modeling and their uses.

I have been searching for a chart, or list, of woods and their suitability for modeling. It might compare things like; grain, color, stainability, detail and possibly their common use (i.e., decks, planks, ribs, etc.)
This would really help in considering types of wood to use in scratch builds or kit bashing. I for one do not really have a great deal of knowledge about wood. If there is such a list or collection I would appreciate knowing where to find it.
Again, this would be list specific to the needs of model ship builders.
Richard

go here and if you have any questions please post them

Dave,
I did read through part of it and have it book marked for a more thorough read. Really good work and should be very helpful but, alas, right now it is over my head. In my simple way, I was hoping for a sort of list I could carry into a lumber store and be able to just pick out wood from their stock that would be recommended for different parts of the model. Sort of here's what works well for first planking, these for second planking, this for decks.
Just a simple country boy looking for an easy way to avoid mistakes.

Now, as for your write up, I have that printed out and hanging from the magnetic board in my shop. At some point I will have enough focus, and perhaps a cigar, and really take the time to try and understand it. I know it will be worth the effort.

Right now, I just want to cut some wood and make a boat. This inquiry started because I tried to use some basswood I had laying around and when stained, it turned all spongy on me. What a waste of time.

Thanks for your interest and the great work on the article.

By the way, I did visit the lumberyard, but I think justifying the shipping will require a fairly large order and I am not there yet.

Richard

This inquiry started because I tried to use some basswood I had laying around and when stained, it turned all spongy on me. What a waste of time.
Brother Richard:
That's odd. I've used a lot of basswood and I've never experienced that. What type of stain did you use? Are you sure it wasn't balsa? That's the only wood that I can think of that might react like that. To return to your core question, the answer is that it depends. What sort of construction technique are you planning? Where do you live (that affects availability)? Do you have the capability to resaw or do you need dimensional "lumber"?And to add another layer of uncertainty, even when you decide what species of wood is suitable, trees (like people) vary in characteristics and even different parts of the same tree may vary. Perhaps that's where you would want to deveIop some knowledge, that is to be able to look and feel a piece of wood and access it's qualities. It's not difficult: how hard is it? how flexible? how close and uniform is the grain? how does the grain run? how easily does it split? I guess the best way forward is to post information about your planned project and where you live. I'm sure folks on this forum can provide guidance. Have fun!

"This inquiry started because I tried to use some basswood I had laying around and when stained, it turned all spongy on me. What a waste of time."

I have had a similar experience in the past when trying acrylic pain on the basswood. I now coat all my warea that I am going to paint with a few coats of snading sealer first. I find it makes a big difference.

i would say the best general usage wood that you can find in most big box stores is Poplar or Alder these woods are not that hard but firm enought to take bending and general smal scale work.
Builder shy away from poplar because the heartwood is like a lime green color but that color will fade to a nice tan when exposed to sun light.

Basswood will vary in hardness i have had it like you said spongy and soft to almost like popolar. I just finished the Dory which was all Basswood and it is a nice wood to work with but it is soft and will break easy and clamping it will leave marks.
Builder shy away from poplar because the heartwood is like a lime green color but that color will fade to a nice tan when exposed to sun light.

it is difficult to recomend a wood because like AndyA said it depends on what tools you have and what you are trying to do.

Plenty to think about here as I look at the stash of oak, maple and holly I have in the garage (and that has been there for 10 years or so since I planked the trees after felling them).

Andy,
I'm pretty sure it was basswood. I do not keep balsa in the shop. It was around over a decade, and I stained it twice with a water-based stain. It is probably just one of those things; wood, stain, or, more likely, operator error.
Your questions are spot on. They make a good list to review when prepping for a project. Sometimes I think you just use what you have and try to make it work. I bought most of my tools and supplies years ago while I was still working in order to prepare for retirement. It's a pretty decent set up. They give me the flexibility to experiment and rework where necessary. Awhile back a modeler introduced me to the term, Deconstruction. I have become fairly familiar with this. It is all part of the challenge that makes this such and interesting hobby.

We studied the wood issue in more depth in another thread but for me there are experts here on SOS that have experience that I am not able to match. I'm lucky enough to be able to tap into that knowledge base and I do. Using their pioneer work enables me to focus on the craftmanship that brings me the most pleasure.

Thanks to everyone.
Richard

Back