3d printer

You might find it worth taking a quick look through my Cutty Sark build log here: Cutty Sark. It'll give you some idea of the pro's and con's of each method. It sounds like you've already bought a printer, but be assured, whichever way you jumped you'll find it a great asset for modelling.

As alluded to in previous postings here, I think you need to take a hard look at investing in a seriously powerful computer...either laptop or desk top. You will need a fast clock speed, the SSD memory capacity, and as much RAM capacity as you can get for quick working responses. A robust CAD program can take up a lot of computer power. You will not be happy with a slow computer with limited RAM and clock speed.

Jumping in here as I've just had a similar experience and have gotten into 3D printing. It is amazing. You need a part? Print it! There are a lot of files out there, and once you get your hands dirty, you can modify existing and even create your own. I didn't know what to do about the cat heads. Found a lion face and scaled it, pow, two cat heads in 1:96. And aside from modeling, it's just generally useful. I needed a part for a utility stand. I had something that would be useful but it didn't attach. I whipped up a "mate part" and presto, in business.

For detail, definitely resin. I've tested a lot of 3D software. I bought a small CAD package, but now use Blender. It's free and very powerful. It takes a bit of learning, but much of that is just learning 3D concepts/workflow and it would be the same for any 3D software. Blender is easy to work with once you start. You can do CAD and photo realistic 3D (since 2016 IKEA catalogs have been 70% photo realistic 3D!), and even animation/film fx. You get everything and all for free (open source so it will stay free.)

Let us know how you're going and what the computer situation is. Once you print you'll be hooked, and once you make a part and print it there's no going back.

Yes, a powerful computer helps. Mine is getting old but I upgraded memory from 16gb to 32gb for about US$70. There are a lot of deals even on really good laptops, too.

That 8K printer sounds very nice! I got my printer (not 8K) for $200, so it is possible to get the tools you need.

Kevin - the Cutty Sark is beautiful. I also love the wood painting, very, very nice. Funny on the cat heads, me too. Resin is amazing. But your deck! 5mm thick, interesting. Also it looks like you chose a wood colored filament. Obviously you've no problem with PETG, I have yet to move off PLA+. Any PETG tips?

Back