3018SE to 3018 Pro Max to 3018 Beast

So I decided I should just do a thread on this little project that got way out of control instead of hijacking Shota's thread. This will take several posts to get a long story up here.

I’d like to preface this with a little note about me. I have an electronics background, a machining background, and I have been using AutoCAD professionally for years. I definitely don’t recommend doing this but it’s the journey I went on. I did it as much just for the gratification of pulling it off, as because I needed it. So I wouldn’t recommend doing this but I’ve enjoyed it. One of my main goals was to be able to produce a windless in an easy fashion. So how do you make a $800 windless? well follow along.

I'm not going into software discussions in this thread. I will say that I use Actcad which is a inexpensive version of Autocad, Fusion 360, Mudbox, Meshlab, and Deskproto. This machine uses a 4 axis GRBL controller. It's been discussed in several other threads on this site for both milling and 3D printers. The machine is the easy part. Learning and using the software is the big challenge. At any rate that isn't what this thread is for so I'm not going into any more of that.

A few years back I bought a run of the mill 3018 CNC machine because I wanted to try it out. I bought a Fox Alien 3018Pro-SE. Like this.

i-CpLxZ9m-S.jpg

At the time I was messing around with radio controlled airplanes and saw where a guy cut parts from carbon fiber sheet to create a wing folding mechanism for an F14. Long story, but bottom line is he was successful so I thought I would give it a try. He had talked about the power of the spindle so I bought an upgraded 300 Watt spindle at the same time. That was a good decision.

i-D5bkkt9-S.jpg

When I got it is was a pretty decent looking package but the entire z axis assembly that holds the spindle motor was a piece of printed plastic. The supports on the sides were some type of acetal material. The 10mm diameter rods were very flexible. Basically to make a long story short it was really easy to flex the tip where the tool mounted. Easily a 1/4” of play so there was no way this was going to do much in the way of accuracy at any reasonable cutting rate.

I had a 7x14 mini lathe and a manual benchtop mini-mill (variant of the Sieg X2) for quite a few years. I successfully converted the mill to CNC to make shock towers and chassis for RC Cars. I learned a lot during that project and the years of machining in the garage. One of the biggest things I learned is the practicality of using a mill to cut a particular material has a lot to do with the rigidity of the machine. The sieg would cut stainless steel pretty well but you had to go very slow. Once again to not go into too much detail, but if the machine starts to flex, the tools chatter and or break, the cuts aren’t accurate, the motors will lose steps, etc.. This forces you to slow down. There is a point at which you have to go so slow that it becomes impractical. I saw a beautiful relief carving done on 1 of these 3018 machines. It was very impressive but the guy that did it said it took 12 hours to machine, OUCH!.

At this point I knew this machine wasn’t going to do what I was hoping for. Not being one to give up particularly easily. I decided to scrap the basic frame and z axis of the fox alien. I basically stripped it for screws and miscellaneous hardware. I looked around and at that time they had just come out with the 3018 Pro Max. It is all aluminum, has 12mm rods for the bearings, 10mm aluminum plates for the sides and front and back and twice the size of extrusions for the rest of the frame. It also has more powerful stepper motors. They still sell this machine on Amazon for $277 USD. It's reasonably robust and is truly capable of relief carving at an acceptable level. Here’s a photo.

i-83Wqnjh-L.jpg

I used my 3D printer to make mounts for the limit switches that came with the Fox Alien and put limit switched on the Pro Max. Limit switches are something you can get by without but you will repeatedly ram the machine into the stops and this really isn’t good for the motors and electronics. I’ve somehow managed to never damage a motor but I’ve sure strained the heck out of them. Throw in the fact that they can be used to automatically home the machine and personally I wouldn’t run a machine without them. So here is how the 3018 looked at that point.

i-9GKcnrD-L.jpg

So time went by and I never did anything. Summer happened, and I wasn’t flying planes due to camping trips etc. This machine sat up on top of a cabinet in the garage for about a year and a half and I never really did anything with it. Last fall I was asked to help some friends with a model ship project. I actually spent a lot of time thinking about it before I finally decided to go ahead and do it. After I decided I would do it, I was asked to do something I’ve never done, and that was create 3d sculptures for the ship.

I definitely had my doubts about pulling that off, but figured I might as well try. After a couple weeks of trying I was literally preparing to send an e-mail explaining that it is way beyond my abilities. When I had thought about a different approach. I had a breakthrough and figured out a way someone with crazy tech skills; but weak artistic skills could do sculpting. That is a whole other very long story. The bottom line is. I did eventually manage to figure out a way to do what I consider passable relief carvings at least.

That got me to wondering If I could reproduce them on the 3018. My first try was with a 1/16” ball end mill and here was the result. Not great detail but it actually worked. A 1/16" endmill at this scale is a roughing tool, way to big to do much detail.

i-kVmfcWP-M.jpg

Then I did a little more work on toolpath and speeds and feeds and produced this carving. I showed these in Shota’s 3018 thread. The video is the top piece being cut in hard maple and the lower is Alaskan Yellow Cedar. These are finished with a 1/32" tapered ball end mill.

carving-jpg.360531

I was encouraged by this test to the point I really wanted to try and set this up with a rotary axis. I looked online for a controller that would work for a 4th axis and it turns out they do make one, so I hunted around for a 4th axis that would fit the machine. The smallest 4th axis I could find had the center of the 4th axis 44mm above the table. The Pro max had 50mm of travel. So I did some measurements and if the spindle was all the way up in the mount. It could lift the collet to around 70mm above the table. Figure the mill will stick out 10mm and this left a maximum working diameter of around 32mm. Realistically though maybe 25mm. Even that would be hard to do because when you try to work that close to the limits you inevitable end up hitting the limit switch by accident when the machine moves to clear the workpiece. So I needed to extend the z axis with more movement. I had actually bought a taller z axis already but had to get bearings for it to ride on the 12mm rods.

I ordered the GRBL controller for the 4th axis and the 4th axis itself, and the bearings for the 12mm rods. Once I got all the parts I switched the Z axis to the longer one. This went from 50mm to 85mm of travel. Here's the old on the machine vs the new Z axis.

i-csXsKtn-L.jpg

Then I swapped out the controller board and hooked up the 4th axis. At this point I ran a test just to see if the 4th axis worked. It took a few tries to figure out the software but it did work. Here’s pic and short video of the test. This is a piece of 1 14" Cherry dowel.

i-Db6HxD5-M.jpg

Continued on next post.

Last edited:
A couple days after the test I ran way off the rails. For the last five years of so I’ve been watching sites like Aliexpress and amazon for what is happening in the inexpensive CNC world. The machines and parts are continuing to get better and become cheaper and more available. The carvings above made it clear to me that the machine had the potential to do much better. But in order to really do it I needed to remove the backlash. Backlash is where you are moving the screw in one direction and then you need to move it back in the other direction. When you move the screw the opposite direction there is a little movement taking up the slack in the nut before it begins to move back. The stock anti-backlash setup works pretty well but when you’re talking about a carving that is only a centimeter long a couple tenths of a centimeter of backlash is a lot. Also with a spring type anti backlash setup you have to slowly reverse to ensure the nut functions. So I decided I needed ball screws.

What the heck is a ball screw you might ask. Well, for the most part there used to be one huge difference between cheaper machine tools and expensive ones. That difference is a little magical item known as a ball screw. It’s a relatively simple device that’s about impossible to explain without a picture.

The 3018 above moves the axis’s with what is known as a ACME lead screw It’s a screw with a square thread that typically uses two nuts with a spring between them to remove backlash. There are a couple other types of lead screw nuts, one has a split nut that uses a screw to basically bend half the nut and bind it on the lead screw. Another method involves using a long nut and tipping the nut to bind it on the leadscrew. What all of the methods have in common is the tradeoff of the tighter you bind the screw the harder it is to turn. Inevitable you have to leave a little backlash so there isn’t too much resistance on the screw to turn it easily. Here’s the typical double nut with a spring method.

i-bKwC5cG-M.jpg

A ball nut uses ball bearings that run in a race between the ball screw and the ball nut. They roll from one end of the nut to the other and then circulate back to the beginning through a tube or passageway in the nut. Because it’s a ball bearing rolling in the race they can have virtually zero clearance. And when combined together they effectively totally eliminate any backlash. Here’s a picture to see how that works.

i-pRCNNqv-S.jpg

At this point I had to take a pause. I learned from converting my previous mill to cnc that it isn’t an easy process. When you start modifying the machine things can go sideways pretty fast. You might also spend more money than just buying something better.

I did a pretty exhaustive search through what was available. I found that Fox Alien has in the last 6 months come out with a machine that uses linear block bearings and has ball screws on all three axis. It’s a really nice looking machine. However it only has 70mm of z axis movement which would be really tight. It also is a 3 axis machine so the electronics would need to be switched to a 4 axis setup. That isn’t 100% true you can do a rotary axis with a 3 axis machine but I’ll let you look up how that is done if you care. The price at the time I looked at it was $858. Given what I already had that would be a lot to spend on a machine that I would immediately upgrade so that was out.

The other thing Is what is commonly known as a 3040. You can buy one of these with ball screws, linear block bearings on rails, a 4th axis and better electronics but now were talking near the $2000 price point. The price isn’t that big of a problem for me, but moving up to a significantly larger machine is. I simply don’t have room for one. I have my 3018 in a wood box with the electronics mounted on the outside away from the dust and a dust collection system setup on it. I’ve run it for 6 hours sitting beside a black printer and there was no dust on the printer. A bigger machine would mean reworking all of that if I even had the space.

So my next step was searching to see if I could find anyone on cnczone or youtube that had done a ball screw swap. Turns out there was a guy that put ball screws on a 3018 Pro Max and posted videos on youtube. So knowing it was doable I started figuring out what I needed.

I bought ball screws for the X and y axis along with the mounts for the ends. At this point I had the "genius idea" of changing to the liner rails and block bearings, because they’re way more rigid than the rods and they could just be screwed to the existing extrusions.

I’m not going to go through all of the parts because it probably makes more sense to just buy something else if you don’t already have one of these machines. But basically I bought a new Z axis from Doesbot on Aliexpress that has the linear rails and a ballscrew.

i-MH2kdCB-S.jpg

I Drew up a ball nut housing in Fusion 360 and drilled holes in an aluminum mounting plate and mounted the block bearings for the X axis.

i-GdM4XL9-S.jpg

Under the table I drilled the end holes to the new larger size for the ball screw mounts and added the ball screw with a printed spacer. I also added the linear rails and blocks to the sides. It's almost like it was designed with this in mind. It wasn't but all the was required was making the orange braces. I printed the braces tht go from the linear blocks to the table. With the rods still in place under the table I don’t think It needs more strength but I could make aluminum ones. You can see in this photo that the ball screw is actually mounted between 2 black blocks the block are screwed to the end plates and the ball screw has a nut that tightens it on the bearings in the block so it doesn’t use the stepper to keep it from moving back and forth. Here’s the underside of the table.

i-Kzm85Sp-M.jpg

I had to design and print a spacer to hold the stepper motors on the X and Y axis.

i-XKwfBKQ-S.jpg

At this point I was feeling like I had this in the bag, and then OOOOOOOOPS!!!!!

i-FZZ9F3Q-M.jpg

Projects like this seem to always come with something a person missed. You can see in the photo the shaft is miles from centered in the hole.

I could say I miss-measured the location for the hole but the truth is, I didn’t measure at all. The guy that did the ball screw swap on youtube didn’t change the linear 12mm rods over to the 15mm linear rails. Because of that; he was able to offset the ball screw on the back of his z axis enough to center it in the existing holes. I “assumed” (you know what they say about that) it was centered on the rails in the back. 20 years ago this would have likely ended up with the whole thing bent up and in the landfill. There are some good things about getting older I guess.

Continued.....

After thinking about it for a few hours I decided that If I had realized the side plates wouldn’t work I would have likely did a different design, but at this point I could only really see one good solution, all be it a fairly expensive one. I designed new side plates in Fusion. I added 1 centimeter to the height in order to get a little more clearance above the table to the bottom of the Z axis. I had the sides machined in 1/4” aluminum which is 12.5mm so a little thicker than the original plates and while at it went ahead ond added some length to the lower end. This allowed me to move it back 22mm to compensate for the larger z axis and now it has 8 screws holding it on the frame instead of 6. These plates cost me about $260 for the pair.

The assembly went smoothly at this point, so meet the 3018 Beast.

i-XcBQz8F-XL.jpg

I added a stiffener plate to the back of the x axist you can see here. The machine now weighs just under 45 pounds,

i-cCjx4M5-S.jpg

Next step was to check the calibration of the axis. I cut the square on the left and the circle on the right. The jagged middle hole was there from and earlier failed sped test with the original machine. The dimensions checked out perfectly. You can see the enclosure better in this photo. I had to cut a hole in the side and add an extension for the stepper motor on the right.

i-8bcPQtp-M.jpg

Here’s a picture of the enclosure from the outside. The circuit board that controls the machine is mounted on the back of the enclosure with the power supplies etc on the top.

i-Q2j3ddh-S.jpg

Here’s a video of the next test with a roughing and then finishing operation. Was running much slower than it needed to. I’ve been working on using faster speeds.

And the finished product

i-HRZzGfr-L.jpg

Here's a test to see if I could speed it up a bit.

So now I need to get a windless drawn up in fusion for my Den Gloende and see if I can actually machine it.

I got it from AliExpress, here's the link. It's $140.50. You have to be careful on this site to make sure your getting the set and not just a single part like the tailstock. Bangood, ebay and amazon likely also have it.

The bed is just the table that came with the machine, but if you search around I'm sure you could get an aluminum extrusion from that site that would work if you needed it. I just drilled holes in the base of the head and tailstock and used t-nuts to mount it. I aligned it with the front of the table to make sure it's parallel with the X axis.

Just beautiful!
i can afford all the parts and or hardware needed but the cement in my head won't let me learn it!
Which means my mind doesn't work like yours and I'm a little jealous.... I also love to build stick and tissue scale flying models. Would love to be able to understand how to create the art, logo's panel lines and markings for the aircraft I build and print it out on the covering tissue. A while back, I bought a Epson 11 X 17 printer, a nice little laptop and that is as far as I got.... stuck for at least 7 years. tried to use my printer a few months ago... and I need a new printer head......
i have no idea how to get past this....or how to proceed.
so I'm happy to see others can work past issues in their endeavors....
Steveidean

Thanks Vic,

So I have been doing a lot of traveling but not a lot of modeling. What I have done is working on a Radio Controlled F14. In particular the mechanism to make the wings sweep back and forward in flight. So I have tried some new things with the 3018. While not really ship related I decided to post this to show some of the capabilities of the upgraded machine.

First I decided to cut the plywood parts. I needed these parts cut from 4mm thick plywood. I added the spoil board seen here to protect the bed. I had to make it 3 layers thick to reach the work without moving the spindle down.

Then I cut these out of 2 pieces of plywood. Each sheet took about 8 minutes to cut. Note that the pieces in the second row from the rear were milled to 2mm thick along the front outside to nest pieces of 2mm carbon fiber.

Next, I printed a plastic tray that I could attach to the spoil board. It has boss's inside that I can bolt the carbon fiber sheet too. This holds the sheet up about 5mm from the bottom so I can mill through the Carbon fiber and not into the tray. Then I filled it with water to capture the Carbon fiber dust.

Here is a short video of cutting CF in water. You can't see the sheet anymore because the water very quickly turns black from the captured Carbon Fiber dust. In the video below the holes were all bored, before the other cutting began.

And here is the final result. I had to make this into 4 jobs to accommodate the size of the parts.

After I get the F14 finished, which should be in a few weeks, I'm going to go back to digital carving and milling ship decorations and parts.

Wow! Those are some heavy skills! And I thought I was doing good to get a Ryobi drill press and a rotary tool to make straight holes. I found out I could also use it as a mini mill. I got both at an outlet store for under $80 with tax.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Well Vic you got to start somewhere, no time at all you'll be running a whole CNC shop. Never say never.

I decided it's time to show something ship related. The reason I wanted the ball screws etc was to make the machine ridged and accurate enough to create carvings like figureheads etc for ships.

I offered to help on the Fubbs stern section and was tasked with trying to create the carvings. First thought was "no chance" but like the quote in my signature line, no point assuming it can't be done without at least trying. I'll skip the long process and just say I've been doing better with the digital sculpting as time has gone on. This is the digital Quarter sculpture that is the icon on all my posts.

i-VLrCQM7-M.jpg

Saw some discussion of this in another thread. I used a dial indicator to center a rectangular piece of Boxwood in my lathe. It's an independently adjustable 4 jaw chuck on a Taig Micro lathe. You just set it to zero on one side, then turn it 180 degrees and adjust. Then go back and forth until both opposite sided are the same which centers it each direction.

i-r2jwC42-M.jpg

That allowed me to turn a round boss on the end for the 3 jaw chuck on my 4th axis. Castello Boxwood machines like a dream on a metal lathe.

i-zvgjrbg-M.jpg

The boxwood cutting at the end of post 3 was roughing this part. The video below is the finish machining. I actually machined this in what is known as 3+1 where the 4th axis is just used to index to different sides. I learned from this piece I should do 5 or 6 sides instead of 4 so the machine passes can overlap.

And the technically unfinished project. This is machined so it can be cut off and the top and bottom added as separate pieces. Needless to say, I'm extremely happy with how this machine performs. Here's the final result, with the flat side actually contoured to fit the model.

i-q8jhbGf-M.jpg

i-sxFvS8Z-L.jpg

i-wqnC3wx-L.jpg

i-K2NQbk3-L.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,
Just curious but why did you upgrade the spindle and the steppers? Did you find they were running hot? I only use mine for wood and so far I have had no issues in that regards.

The stock spindle I got was very noisy. It was out of balance which was probably most of the noise issue. The reviews on this 300watt spindle were really good and a lot of people said it was much quieter so I bought it when I bought the machine. The stepper upgrade was mostly because I needed a new stepper for the Z axis swap I initially did, because the stock Z axis had an integral acme screw shaft on the stepper. I upgraded them all because they were relatively cheap and the 4 axis board has 2 amp per coil drivers.

The simpler answer to your question is none of it was necessary but more power never hurts. I haven't had any heat issue with anything before or after the upgrades. In its current configuration, after 4 hours of constant running the hottest part was the x axis driver chip at 39C degrees. The spindle was at 35c.

A couple days after the test I ran way off the rails. For the last five years of so I’ve been watching sites like Aliexpress and amazon for what is happening in the inexpensive CNC world. The machines and parts are continuing to get better and become cheaper and more available. The carvings above made it clear to me that the machine had the potential to do much better. But in order to really do it I needed to remove the backlash. Backlash is where you are moving the screw in one direction and then you need to move it back in the other direction. When you move the screw the opposite direction there is a little movement taking up the slack in the nut before it begins to move back. The stock anti-backlash setup works pretty well but when you’re talking about a carving that is only a centimeter long a couple tenths of a centimeter of backlash is a lot. Also with a spring type anti backlash setup you have to slowly reverse to ensure the nut functions. So I decided I needed ball screws.

What the heck is a ball screw you might ask. Well, for the most part there used to be one huge difference between cheaper machine tools and expensive ones. That difference is a little magical item known as a ball screw. It’s a relatively simple device that’s about impossible to explain without a picture.

The 3018 above moves the axis’s with what is known as a ACME lead screw It’s a screw with a square thread that typically uses two nuts with a spring between them to remove backlash. There are a couple other types of lead screw nuts, one has a split nut that uses a screw to basically bend half the nut and bind it on the lead screw. Another method involves using a long nut and tipping the nut to bind it on the leadscrew. What all of the methods have in common is the tradeoff of the tighter you bind the screw the harder it is to turn. Inevitable you have to leave a little backlash so there isn’t too much resistance on the screw to turn it easily. Here’s the typical double nut with a spring method.

i-bKwC5cG-M.jpg

A ball nut uses ball bearings that run in a race between the ball screw and the ball nut. They roll from one end of the nut to the other and then circulate back to the beginning through a tube or passageway in the nut. Because it’s a ball bearing rolling in the race they can have virtually zero clearance. And when combined together they effectively totally eliminate any backlash. Here’s a picture to see how that works.

i-pRCNNqv-S.jpg

At this point I had to take a pause. I learned from converting my previous mill to cnc that it isn’t an easy process. When you start modifying the machine things can go sideways pretty fast. You might also spend more money than just buying something better.

I did a pretty exhaustive search through what was available. I found that Fox Alien has in the last 6 months come out with a machine that uses linear block bearings and has ball screws on all three axis. It’s a really nice looking machine. However it only has 70mm of z axis movement which would be really tight. It also is a 3 axis machine so the electronics would need to be switched to a 4 axis setup. That isn’t 100% true you can do a rotary axis with a 3 axis machine but I’ll let you look up how that is done if you care. The price at the time I looked at it was $858. Given what I already had that would be a lot to spend on a machine that I would immediately upgrade so that was out.

The other thing Is what is commonly known as a 3040. You can buy one of these with ball screws, linear block bearings on rails, a 4th axis and better electronics but now were talking near the $2000 price point. The price isn’t that big of a problem for me, but moving up to a significantly larger machine is. I simply don’t have room for one. I have my 3018 in a wood box with the electronics mounted on the outside away from the dust and a dust collection system setup on it. I’ve run it for 6 hours sitting beside a black printer and there was no dust on the printer. A bigger machine would mean reworking all of that if I even had the space.

So my next step was searching to see if I could find anyone on cnczone or youtube that had done a ball screw swap. Turns out there was a guy that put ball screws on a 3018 Pro Max and posted videos on youtube. So knowing it was doable I started figuring out what I needed.

I bought ball screws for the X and y axis along with the mounts for the ends. At this point I had the "genius idea" of changing to the liner rails and block bearings, because they’re way more rigid than the rods and they could just be screwed to the existing extrusions.

I’m not going to go through all of the parts because it probably makes more sense to just buy something else if you don’t already have one of these machines. But basically I bought a new Z axis from Doesbot on Aliexpress that has the linear rails and a ballscrew.

i-MH2kdCB-S.jpg

I Drew up a ball nut housing in Fusion 360 and drilled holes in an aluminum mounting plate and mounted the block bearings for the X axis.

i-GdM4XL9-S.jpg

Under the table I drilled the end holes to the new larger size for the ball screw mounts and added the ball screw with a printed spacer. I also added the linear rails and blocks to the sides. It's almost like it was designed with this in mind. It wasn't but all the was required was making the orange braces. I printed the braces tht go from the linear blocks to the table. With the rods still in place under the table I don’t think It needs more strength but I could make aluminum ones. You can see in this photo that the ball screw is actually mounted between 2 black blocks the block are screwed to the end plates and the ball screw has a nut that tightens it on the bearings in the block so it doesn’t use the stepper to keep it from moving back and forth. Here’s the underside of the table.

i-Kzm85Sp-M.jpg

I had to design and print a spacer to hold the stepper motors on the X and Y axis.

i-XKwfBKQ-S.jpg

At this point I was feeling like I had this in the bag, and then OOOOOOOOPS!!!!!

i-FZZ9F3Q-M.jpg

Projects like this seem to always come with something a person missed. You can see in the photo the shaft is miles from centered in the hole.

I could say I miss-measured the location for the hole but the truth is, I didn’t measure at all. The guy that did the ball screw swap on youtube didn’t change the linear 12mm rods over to the 15mm linear rails. Because of that; he was able to offset the ball screw on the back of his z axis enough to center it in the existing holes. I “assumed” (you know what they say about that) it was centered on the rails in the back. 20 years ago this would have likely ended up with the whole thing bent up and in the landfill. There are some good things about getting older I guess.

Continued.....
hello. would you mind providing a link to the ball nut part? I am tempted to do the same as yourself.

Here is some of what I used. I’m not promoting where you buy these, some are ali express and some amazon, I think banggood and others also have them. This isn’t a complete list but would give you an idea what parts are needed.

Also here’s a link to the first of the 4 part youtube videos I saw. This is not my build but definitely worth watching.

Here’s a link to one of the Ball screw / nut combos. I can’t remember for sure which length I used. I made the same mistake as the guy in the youtube video. I ended up buying 3 to get the rite length.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TWWLJXC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here’s the brackets for the end of the ball screws.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255...t_main.15.16e91802IgetQt&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

This goes agount the ball nut to attach to a table etc.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...t_main.14.16e91802IgetQt&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

Stepper motors

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B93J9QZY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Cutter I used to enlarge holes to 36mm. I actually printed a plastic cylinder to place around the drill bit which fit inside the existing hole. I hand drilled the hole with this. Don’t know that it is a good recommendation but it worked well. You do need to finish from the opposite side. This is about ½ mm to shallow to go all the way through. I used a standard step drill for the smaller hole.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HCFCGXS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here’s the rails and blocks I used. I bought the 1000mm length ad cut to fit with a metal chop saw. That was a bit of a challenge as the chop saw is cheap and these are obviously hardened. Switching to these is why I had to have custom side plates machined.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B099WRXMMY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is some of what I used. I’m not promoting where you buy these, some are ali express and some amazon, I think banggood and others also have them. This isn’t a complete list but would give you an idea what parts are needed.

Also here’s a link to the first of the 4 part youtube videos I saw. This is not my build but definitely worth watching.

Here’s a link to one of the Ball screw / nut combos. I can’t remember for sure which length I used. I made the same mistake as the guy in the youtube video. I ended up buying 3 to get the rite length.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TWWLJXC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255...t_main.15.16e91802IgetQt&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...t_main.14.16e91802IgetQt&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

Stepper motors

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B93J9QZY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Cutter I used to enlarge holes to 36mm. I actually printed a plastic cylinder to place around the drill bit which fit inside the existing hole. I hand drilled the hole with this. Don’t know that it is a good recommendation but it worked well. You do need to finish from the opposite side. This is about ½ mm to shallow to go all the way through. I used a standard step drill for the smaller hole.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HCFCGXS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here’s the rails and blocks I used. I bought the 1000mm length ad cut to fit with a metal chop saw. That was a bit of a challenge as the chop saw is cheap and these are obviously hardened. Switching to these is why I had to have custom side plates machined.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B099WRXMMY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
thank you. much appreciated.

Stepper motors

Ok, so I watched the video. My only comment is, "Huh?"

Back