1682 HMY FUBBS - 1:24 - Stern Section

Hi all

Its been a long time since my last posting about "Anatomy of the Bounty from AL". We moved to Florida from MA and took months to pack and unpack. My new workshop is far away to be ready. But I need to start doing some ship modeling. The trigger was the box I received last Friday from Mike Shanks.

Thank you Mike for this present !!!!

My built will be slow, as I am still setting up the new house and planting Palms :). Nevertheless I expect to learn a lot with this model. Wish me good luck and a lot of fun.

Daniel

20230714_130613.jpg

Last edited:
His Majesty Yacht (HMY) Fubbs was laid down at Greenwich shipyards by Phineas Pett in 1682. By Royal Navy standards yachts would be the size of a typical harbor dispatch vessel or lightly armed gunboat. HMY Fubbs sported a keel length of only 63’ with at a specified 148 tons fully loaded. With a 21’ breadth and only 9’6” depth in hold these small ships carried a crew of up to 30 and could be armed with 8 – 12 3 pounders. Royal Yacht duties primarily consisted of tending to the affairs of the royal household. Charles II must have enjoyed yacht class vessels as he had 23 of them during his reign – more than any other English king. HMY Fubbs was the most lavish of his fleet of Royal Yachts. Visually, the hull of a Royal Yacht has the look of a 6th rate but is more akin to a ketch-rigged sloop. As such, she has a mizzen mast that passes through the small great cabin and no true orlop deck at all. As will be shown later, the stern ports are too close to the waterline and are not actually accessible from inside the ship. What look like stern quarter galleries are more like quarter badges. Most contemporary modelers and many artists tend to imagine HMY Fubbs as a larger ship than it really is due to the illusion created by the artistic style of the ship. Charles II employed well known Baroque period artists Van de Veldes younger and senior. Their artwork had a direct influence on the highly decorated HMY Fubbs. HMY Fubbs was named after the mistress of Charles II, the Duchess of Portsmouth, Louise de Keroualle. “Fubbs” was the nickname for Charles II mistress with the meaning of a chubby contemptuous child. HMY Fubbs remained in service for more than 80 years before being broken up in 1781. During that time, it went through 2 refits. One in 1701 and again in 1724. During the 1724 refit, most of her carvings were salvaged and replaced by painted frieze work. There is sufficient historical evidence on Royal Yachts to know they were lightly framed compared to other Royal Navy ships. It was noted that HMY Fubbs would require futtock riders to support the light frame timbers. While the specific duties of HMY Fubbs may not be known it is reasonable to expect the vessel was probably used for intimate entertainment purposes and fine dining. I would expect being a crew member on this ship would be rather plush duty.
Screenshot_20230718_123129_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

The kit itself can't be found on the market. Because of that , I belive there is no need to do a box opening. Nevertheless, if someone would like detailed pictures, I can post it.

As Don mentioned, it is a 1:24 scale ship. When I saw the parts, I thought "oh my gosh, this is really big". I have never done anything on this scale. There is always a first time.

A few pictures I took when I open the box.

20230715_171225.jpg20230715_172118.jpg20230715_172504.jpg20230715_172607.jpg

This particular kit has been made using Cherry and Boxwood. Frames were laser cut.

Cheers
Daniel

Looking forward as you will advance building it. What timber is this kit made of?
Hi Jimsky, I am happy you will follow this logs. I always learn from your comments.

This kit has all the frames and rudder made of Cherry. Carvings are Boxwood.

Best
Daniel

Ps: Sorry, i just read that there are also parts made of hard Maple (planks), Walnut, Holly , pear, etc. I am making myself familiar with the kit and posting at the same time.

Last edited:
My framing is hard maple, but the parts are CNC cut. The laser cut parts have bevel lines etched directly into the wood. My maple frames have NO laser char to contend with, but I do have to rubber cement the templates with bevel lines to the parts. I've build a few POF hulls doing that, so I'm pretty comfortable with the process.

Hi all

Its been a long time since my last posting about "Anatomy of the Bounty from AL". We moved to Florida from MA and took months to pack and unpack. My new workshop is far away to be ready. But I need to start doing some ship modeling. The trigger was the box I received last Friday from Mike Shanks.

Thank you Mike for this present !!!!

My built will be slow, as I am still setting up the new house and planting Palms :). Nevertheless I expect to learn a lot with this model. Wish me good luck and a lot of fun.

Daniel

View attachment 385361
Welcome to Florida. Hope you are enjoying Florida's cool weather. :)

Welcome to Florida. Hope you are enjoying Florida's cool weather. :)
Thank you !!!

A few months ago, when still in MA, at the barber chatting about my relocation, someone asked : Are there in Florida 4 seasons ? And I almost passed away laughing when another guy said " Oh yes you have seasons !!! ".....HOT Seasons and LESS HOT seasons.... HAHAHA

Best !!
Daniel

My framing is hard maple, but the parts are CNC cut. The laser cut parts have bevel lines etched directly into the wood. My maple frames have NO laser char to contend with, but I do have to rubber cement the templates with bevel lines to the parts. I've build a few POF hulls doing that, so I'm pretty comfortable with the process.
I went with the laser cut version because I was truly afraid of doing that job. After I bevel the frames there will not be left too much char to clean...... I hope !!! HAHAHA

I know Brian's kit is done with Alaskan Yelow Cedar.

Looking forward to see your built log !!

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
Back