1682 HMY Fubbs 1:24 scale

Canoe21

Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates, My YQ-Bluenose is finally complete and the little fellows and I are very happy with the end results, Thanks to Bernadette with her sewing skills and also for her many patients For Me.
The HMY Fubbs will be my next endeavor, I just hope that I have enough skills to justify such a very fine kit as this. Thanks to Mike Shanks for making this kit available to me and the other Weasel Works members, he sure has added a huge pile of very fine detailed work this truly amazes me, also for his very generous and kindness, I am sure that this kit of the HMY Fubbs will give the little fellows and myself many hours of true enjoyment, Thanks Mike.
In looking over the other Weasel Works members build logs I have decided to show all of the many fine pieces that this kit contains but to show just how full these two boxes that the RMY Fubbs came in.
Tomorrow I will start to separate and arrange a few of these pieces so that I can get started gluing the templates to the frames as I also have chosen the hard maple version to get rid of the laser char, could be a big mistake as the hard maple is much harder then the cherry wood.
Wish me luck.
Regards Lawrence

DSCN0139.JPG

DSCN0140.JPG

Royal_Yachts,_one_Ketch_Rigged_and_one_Smack_Rigged,_by_L._De_Man_RMG_BHC0979.jpg
Royal Yachts, one Ketch Rigged and one Smack Rigged Two royal yachts, in port-quarter view, side-by-side. One is ketch-rigged and may be the 'Fubbs' and the other is smack-rigged, possibly the 'Katherine'. The yacht to the left is firing a salute and a number of men can be seen on the decks of both vessels. Numerous other ships are visible in the background to the right. De Man was a Dutch artist who worked in England over the period 1707-20, arriving at about the time of the death of van de Velde the Younger. He worked for some of the time at or near Deptford on the Thames, where nearly all the ships that he portrayed were based. He was a competent and accurate recorder of yachts and shipping familiar in the lower reaches of the Thames in the early years of the 18th century. His signature, where it occurs, is 'L. D. Man' in the extreme lower left or right corners of paintings and with the 'D' superposed. This is most likely to be a contraction of 'de', in the same form as used by the Delft painter Cornelius de Man (1621-1706), one of a large Delft family of that name. There is no firmer evidence of a Delft connection for L. De Man but it may have been his point of origin. This painting is one of a pair; see also BHC0980. (Framed) Royal yachts, one ketch rigged and one smack rigged

Fubbs_(1682)_RMG_M0186.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Ship Mates, The little fellows and I have been cleaning up the hull frames of the HMY Fubbs. We have decided to work on 3 sets of frames at the same tile as to break up the long task. Now we must cut out the paper templates and glue them to the wooden frame pieces in order to taper them, very much the same process as my Oliver Cromwell and my HMS Bounty scratch build.
Regards Lawrence

DSCN0141.JPG

Hello Ship Mates, The little fellows and I have been cleaning up the hull frames of the HMY Fubbs. We have decided to work on 3 sets of frames at the same tile as to break up the long task. Now we must cut out the paper templates and glue them to the wooden frame pieces in order to taper them, very much the same process as my Oliver Cromwell and my HMS Bounty scratch build.
Regards Lawrence

View attachment 428465
Good afternoon Lawrence and the little fellows. My chair is pulled up. Have fun. Cheers Grant

Regards Lawrence

View attachment 428465
It's great to see that you have made a start, my friend. As the procedure is the same as on the Cromwell and Bounty, I have little doubt that the outcome will be just as successful.

It's great to see that you have made a start, my friend. As the procedure is the same as on the Cromwell and Bounty, I have little doubt that the outcome will be just as successful.
Henrich, I thank you very much for your very kind words and overly nice comments. Yes this build is some what the Cromwell and the Bounty but there is no building jig. The frames are stacked, so this is a very much a learning process. We will try our best.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates, Today the little fellows and I finished cleaning up the first 3 sets of hull frames. We also cut and glued the templates to all of these parts. They are now ready to be tapered. But we will first prepare another 3 sets of frame before heading to the basement to our sanders to do so.
Regards Lawrence

DSCN0142.JPG

Back