1669 Soleil Royal - ZHL [COMPLETED BUILD]

I love the look of the sails and will wait in anticipation as the rest of them unfold.

Vic, Grant, Bandido, Heinrich,
Thanks to all for your feedback
Morning, As promised I have been looking into my materials about the sails and their riggen. I will add some images here, as for the moment I have not been able to find the few Drawings which came with the build. They are anyway n a PF file -need Acrobat to open it - I will attach any way some sails and its riggen.. As far I can see your build is a 1:100 whereas mine was a 1:74.. the PDF file is apparently too big. will send more later. el capi

QQ图片20210722172128-651x800.jpg

SAILS 9-STAYSAILS.jpg

SAILS 7.jpg

SAILS 12.jpg

SAILS 1.jpg

SAILS 5.jpg

SAPLS 10.jpg

Good day,
Dear Gilbert,
She looks nice!
Good job, I like how it looks like!!!
Regarding fitting sails on the model, I could risk to give advise,
first to atach sail to the yard and attach as much relevant running(sail and yard)rigging lines and all blocks as possible,
if necessary , also create desired shape of the sail on this stage - fully opened flat, full with wind or furled... and only than, to fitt completely assembled yard with attached sail and all rigging lines to the mast...
By my opinion , better and easy for manipulation with ropes -to start from lower sail and moving up with rigging...
When Fore mast will be completed with almost all relevant rigging and sails, than we could continue with main mast standing and running rigging and sails and so on...
Follow this way, we always will have empty space infront of hands for manipulation with rigging lines...will be not necessary to work in narrow space between already fitted masts...:)
In the end, when all 3 masts will be at place and rigged, than we could complete riggings and to fitt a few remaining braces, tacks and sheets...
Of couse , this all , just my personal experience /point of vew how to rigg model in more comfortable way...
I think You will find how to do it in your best way ...:)
You didn't make your sails just flat... like on the most of museum models...why?
They are too bright in color... for that period ,region and sails material ...
They need to be in much darker color...
what I would like to say,
as right now, if You leave them in some kind of half trimmed shape ... as we see them on the pictures you posted...
they will look unnatural...with some kind of "toy" effect if I could say that...
by my opinion, easiest way to give them natural appearance, just let them hanging free and be flat...
to show them furled,especial half done shape - is much much more complicate way...:)))
Wish You All the Best!
There are a few axamples of museum models078.jpg with flat and furled sails
gEL4A2095.jpg

Last edited:
Hello all
After a lot of various attempts, I finally completed rigging the fore sail.
I initially tried to have the full sail visible but then I changed my mind and decided to partly furl the sail in order not to hide the cannons on the poop deck.
I have to say that it took me quite long to achieve this and I believe the next sails will be done quicker.
Below some pictures.

20220505_142822.jpg
20220507_182455.jpg
20220507_182342.jpg
20220507_183018.jpg

Hello all
After a lot of various attempts, I finally completed rigging the fore sail.
I initially tried to have the full sail visible but then I changed my mind and decided to partly furl the sail in order not to hide the cannons on the poop deck.
I have to say that it took me quite long to achieve this and I believe the next sails will be done quicker.
Below some pictures.

View attachment 307284
View attachment 307286
View attachment 307285
View attachment 307287
You did a great job on those swooping metal pieces on the bow, Gilbert. I think that furling the sails is very hard to make it look right. I am going to have to do a lot of thinking and practicing on this, I'm afraid. Love your ship!

Back