118 Gun French three-decker - Le Commerce de Marseille / L'Ocean - scale 1:72

Soo here we go. First cannon completed.

I wanted to do something between maximum simplification and realism. It didn't work out perfectly because when gluing, the rear part went up too much. I know that this is not the most beautiful carriage in the world,but I checked a few things, learned a few things- made some progress.
DSC_0485.JPG
DSC_0480.JPG
DSC_0481.JPG
DSC_0482.JPGDSC_0483.JPGDSC_0486.JPG

Last edited:
.... It didn't work out perfectly because when gluing, the rear part went up too much......
For the lower decks I think that the carriage in principle is very good - enough details
But you are right with the height - I think also, that the muzzle should be slightly higher compared to the gunport frame
1584526095213.png
Very good work my friend

Hello,
the previous picture shows an English cannon.
Here is a picture of a French cannonView attachment 335455
I know, but I guess that the french guns needed the same space in the gunport like the english

My comment was only related to the muzzle inside the rectangle opening of the gun port

DSC_0482.JPG
the muzzle is too low (because of the higher rear part @WojtasS mentioned)

1584526095213.png canonn.jpg

Sorry, I didn't understand.
Here is what J.Boudriot drew on a French ship concerning the position of the cannons at the time of the fight.
Note that the guns are leaning against the planking, contrary to the previous drawing.

View attachment 335461

Bernard
excuse me, to build according to the plans of Master Boudriot it is advisable to follow the volumes of the 74 guns and the book of Du Monceau, to be sure of the vessel

1666260878349.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is what J.Boudriot drew on a French ship concerning the position of the cannons at the time of the fight.
Note that the guns are leaning against the planking, contrary to the previous drawing.

View attachment 335461

Bernard
It seems to be a pure translation problem - I refer only to the height of the gun (up or down) in the gunport, which is looking too small in the photos by Wojtas
see my green marks
batterie00.jpg

These are the views from the Le Commerce monograph from Gérard

IMG_27951.jpg IMG_28041.jpg

Wojtas - sorry for the lengthy posts

Last edited:
For the lower decks I think that the carriage in principle is very good - enough details
But you are right with the height - I think also, that the muzzle should be slightly higher compared to the gunport frame
1584526095213.png
Very good work my friend
Thank you Uwe

I know, but I guess that the french guns needed the same space in the gunport like the english

My comment was only related to the muzzle inside the rectangle opening of the gun port

DSC_0482.JPG
the muzzle is too low (because of the higher rear part @WojtasS mentioned)

1584526095213.png canonn.jpg

This's little my fault. I should mention it's not 1:1 in position to plans. I just put it sort of in the middle. So mesuring any height or distance is meaningless(sorry :rolleyes:). I jut wanted to test if carriage's wheels would be visible. They're bearly which means I can follow @CRI-CRI way of making them

"Wojtas - sorry for the lengthy posts"
No problem. The more information the better

Last edited:

batterie00.jpg

Bernard

Yes. I'll make them like on your picture. On plans they have some kind of shelf, but this's just too much for my and such simplified way is ok .
plans.jpg

excuse me, to build according to the plans of Master Boudriot it is advisable to follow the volumes of the 74 guns and the book of Du Monceau, to be sure of the vessel
Plans are made by Mr Gérard Delacroix. I also have Master Boudriot's 3 volumes about 74gs

Plans are made by Mr Gérard Delacroix. I also have Master Boudriot's 3 volumes about 74gs
Wojtas, nothing changes even if they are drawings by Mr. Gérard Delacroix ,
there is a passage of first acquaintance,
gunboats have the dimensions in relation to the caliber of the guns, also in relation to the decks

Last edited:
With DEEPL translator :
For the pieces of calibers 36, 24, 18 we fix on the spacer a mobile crescent made up of two parts connected by two hinges. When this crescent is knocked down, it forms a projection in front of the flanges, which makes it possible to take by this circular projection a support against the wall, facilitating the side pointing.
This is a new arrangement.

Sorry I don't have the English translation of "croissant".
View attachment 335539View attachment 335540
Here is the english version of the book

english - "folding lip"

Screenshot 2022-10-24 123455.png
Screenshot 2022-10-24 123552.png

Back