Miniature Arts - New Kit 1:96 HMS Alert 1777 by Mniature Arts

Many Thanks for showing us these three available versions - Great idea

1. Looks like a very well thought out project. Actually, one of the best that I have seen in the last 30 years. There are a few minor (and correctable) factual problems, such as, no ship had white (almost) decks with black (almost) fasteners 3 times oversize. At the scale of 1/96, you would never see the real fasteners in any photo. The fastener would have matched the planks in color, grain direction, scale and with attention to detail such that they were as invisible as possible. A somewhat picky detail, but perfectly achievable (and I understand that modeling custom is exactly the reverse).
2. If I had not put away enough lumber to build Nelson's fleet (and the workshop to process this wood) in the last 60 years, I would be sorely tempted to transition from scratch to modified kits.
3. I think the age of pure 100% scratch may be quickly waning. "The scratch is dead, long live the kit!"
4. Good work.

1. Looks like a very well thought out project. Actually, one of the best that I have seen in the last 30 years. There are a few minor (and correctable) factual problems, such as, no ship had white (almost) decks with black (almost) fasteners 3 times oversize. At the scale of 1/96, you would never see the real fasteners in any photo. The fastener would have matched the planks in color, grain direction, scale and with attention to detail such that they were as invisible as possible. A somewhat picky detail, but perfectly achievable (and I understand that modeling custom is exactly the reverse).
2. If I had not put away enough lumber to build Nelson's fleet (and the workshop to process this wood) in the last 60 years, I would be sorely tempted to transition from scratch to modified kits.
3. I think the age of pure 100% scratch may be quickly waning. "The scratch is dead, long live the kit!"
4. Good work.
Out of curiosity what happened on real ships? The end grain of the treenails and the face grain of the decking would probably have absorbed water and/or weathered differently. Over time would the treenails looks darker than the planks?

Out of curiosity what happened on real ships? The end grain of the treenails and the face grain of the decking would probably have absorbed water and/or weathered differently. Over time would the treenails looks darker than the planks?
Yes - they are slightly darker than the rest of the planking - especially when the planking was wet and started to dry - than the contrast is bigger

Back