1:600 Mauretania, with added PE details...

I decided to build Mauretania with as much added detail as my eyes could handle, with extra PE railings etc. and added in posts along both sides of the superstructure (since the model did not have any), and upgraded as much as I could here and there... she turned out OK I think... now to build her alter-ego as the hospital ship, so they can be housed together in one showcase...

My Mauretania 1.jpg

My Mauretania 2.jpg

My Mauretania 3.jpg

My Mauretania 4.jpg

My Mauretania 5.jpg

Awesome! I like it a lot. Rare ship to build let alone find? You should be proud of her, she's turned out well.
Thank you :) My next step is to build the second one I have, but paint her in her Hospital Ship colors and then house them side by side in the display case...

Awesome! I like it a lot. Rare ship to build let alone find? You should be proud of her, she's turned out well.
Hey Kiwi, she is not easy to come by, but I did see a couple for sale on eBay, if you are interested in buying a kit to build for yourself:
1) https://www.ebay.com/itm/166048769094?hash=item26a9472446:g:xj4AAOSwOupkRZ5h
2) https://www.ebay.com/itm/1341311461...U9lSq_2aRP8JRKKmkbvf-CVt_LoUnhLhoCvjEQAvD_BwE
It is a fun kit to build, but just know that it's relatively basic, and if you want to have all the uprights etc along the decks, you will need to hand-make the small pieces and glue them in place, and the railings are not supplied as I built it, those are 1:600 PE pieces that I bought from Tom's Modelworks (he is a great supplier of these things!).

Thanks designck but I will admire from afar. I have a stash of old 1/400 Heller WWII ships to build and so far have resisted the slippery slope that is passenger liners. But it wouldn't take much to tempt me (haha). However I do like your idea to do her in her alternative hospital ship version. One of my favourite photos of Titanic is of her in the Harland and Wolff shipyards being built alongside Olympic AND Britannic - all 3 of them beside each other - I've never seen any other ships of that size built simultaneously like that before or since. I have an older Revell 1/570 Titanic that I purchased in the '90s, still not built of course, but your thread has got me thinking that I might try and get hold of another 1/570 Titanic and build her sister ship, Britannic in the green and white hospital ship colours she wore when sunk off Lemnos in 1915. That would be cool.

Thanks designck but I will admire from afar. I have a stash of old 1/400 Heller WWII ships to build and so far have resisted the slippery slope that is passenger liners. But it wouldn't take much to tempt me (haha). However I do like your idea to do her in her alternative hospital ship version. One of my favourite photos of Titanic is of her in the Harland and Wolff shipyards being built alongside Olympic AND Britannic - all 3 of them beside each other - I've never seen any other ships of that size built simultaneously like that before or since. I have an older Revell 1/570 Titanic that I purchased in the '90s, still not built of course, but your thread has got me thinking that I might try and get hold of another 1/570 Titanic and build her sister ship, Britannic in the green and white hospital ship colours she wore when sunk off Lemnos in 1915. That would be cool.
I have Liner-Fever, for better or worse, LOL. I love building them, as you can see... I like your idea of making a Britannic Conversion... it would be a little trickier than simple color changes because she had those unusual double decked lifeboats... but I would love to see your solution, maybe I can make my 1:350 Titanic into a Brittanic or Olympic, and keep my 1:200 as Titanic!

9 ships and counting.jpg

The old liners of period before 1960 were so much more gracious looking than to days over grown cruise ships we see today on the seas, those long ships of the day were meant for ocean crossings, not todays ships which stay is close bays or shallow waters off the coast.

The old liners of period before 1960 were so much more gracious looking than to days over grown cruise ships we see today on the seas, those long ships of the day were meant for ocean crossings, not todays ships which stay is close bays or shallow waters off the coast.
I do agree...

I wish that the model makers would consider some alternative ships to make kits of, but not neccessarily as new or modern as the AIDA Blu (as fun as she was to build), I would love to see something like the Michelangelo / Raffeallo, Normandie, even some of the Holland America classic liners... so much to choose from but it's slim pickings online... it's Titanic, Titanic, Titanic, Titanic, Titanic, Titanic, Titanic, Titanic, Titanic, Titanic, Titanic, and a couple of others here and there thrown in for good measure.

Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to building my 1:200 Titanic, but seriously, the model makers kind of seem to think that the only passenger ship that ever mattered was Titanic!

I agree with your comments on Titanic, its like you have to continuously wade through all of the Titanic stuff to maybe find a morsel here and there of another ship..
BTW I love your Liner display!! That looks very cool and they look amazing altogether in that similar livery. Dare I say it.. Titanic is missing! You need to do a smaller version to put in with this lot to get some perspective on her in amongst the others before you introduce your 1/200 beast.

I forgot to ask: is that the Queen Mary with the 3 funnels displayed up in the top right of your photo? She would look really cool done again in her wartime camo scheme, would you agree?

I agree with your comments on Titanic, its like you have to continuously wade through all of the Titanic stuff to maybe find a morsel here and there of another ship..
BTW I love your Liner display!! That looks very cool and they look amazing altogether in that similar livery. Dare I say it.. Titanic is missing! You need to do a smaller version to put in with this lot to get some perspective on her in amongst the others before you introduce your 1/200 beast.
Thanks for the compliments! If you even want get great display cases, these are the ones I buy... they are pricey, but great... crystal clear acrylic and clean lines.

Only problem I have is that my Queen Mary 2, Lusitania and smaller Titanic won't fit in their regular largest cases, so I have to look for another solution for them.

Of course when it comes to the 1:200 beast, that will be a custom case which will probably cost more than there freakin' model!

As I mentioned, I have a 1:350 Titanic as well as the 1:200... but I might do my 1:350 Lusitania first or possibly the Queen Mary 2... So many to choose from to build, LOL! As you can see in my signature, I have 7 to build!

I forgot to ask: is that the Queen Mary with the 3 funnels displayed up in the top right of your photo? She would look really cool done again in her wartime camo scheme, would you agree?
Yeah that is Queen Mary... in front of her is Queen Elizabeth, sisters, hence putting them both in there. We just spent the day on Queen Mary in Long beach... brunch, 2 different tours and cocktails after... so good to be able to be back on board her!I might consider doing her as troop carrier... fun fact, they still have the anti-aircraft gun on the QM

tempImagemUZDMt.jpg

Wow that is very cool!!! Looks like it would still work. Did they keep that on board after the war to keep all the bratty kids in line if they played up on deck...?

Those cases look good too. Just a pity postage/shipping costs so much from the States these days.

Back