1:48 scale POF HMS Alert by Keith [COMPLETED BUILD]

Beautiful interior to that hull, Keith. She is quite a wide ship, isn't she?

Thick stuff and Deck clamps are now all done and the positioning lugs have been removed allowing the lower deck timbers to be shaped and fitted. Everything fitted exactly as it should. The only problem was the first deck beam nearest the bow (No. 4) was made the wrong way round. l had to re-make the beam so the 2 nicks faced the stern and off-set to the correct side. Not a big problem but l wonder if Trident are aware of this error. Also 3 of the parts are numbered incorrectly, which threw me for a while looking for them. Apart from that, the accuracy of this kit is amazing and l'm really pleased with the progress so far

DSC06772.JPG

DSC06777.JPG

DSC06778.JPG

DSC06792.JPG

DSC06793.JPG

DSC06805.JPG

DSC06808.JPG

DSC06812.JPG

DSC06815.JPG

DSC06819.JPG

Also 3 of the parts are numbered incorrectly, which threw me for a while looking for them.

Hello Keef and congratulations on your progress on this magnificent kit. Can you tell us which are the 3 incorrectly numbered pieces so that we don't have to look for them ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hello Keef and congratulations on your progress on this magnificent kit. Can you tell us which are the 3 incorrectly numbered pieces so that we don't have to look for them ... :rolleyes:
Hi dhabert. The pieces in question are carlings for the lower deck and are shown on the deck plan in the instruction manual on page 27. DL6 (2 pieces) are DL82 (port and starboard), DL14 (2 pieces) are DL87. Although l made these pieces from some spare 4 mm pearwood strips l had left over from another kit. DL8 l could not find at all, but again l made from 4 mm pearwood strip. DL82 and DL87 can be found on sheet No. 12

Bonjour,
Avez vous contacté le fabriquant pour vous aider a trouver la piéce DL8 ?
Elle doit bien être sur une planche.

Good morning,
Have you contacted the manufacturer to help you find part DL8?
She must be on a board.

Bonjour,
Avez vous contacté le fabriquant pour vous aider a trouver la piéce DL8 ?
Elle doit bien être sur une planche.

Good morning,
Have you contacted the manufacturer to help you find part DL8?
She must be on a board.
Hi Cathber. No. lt's just a 35 x 4 x 4 mm strip, easy to make from spare strip, which is hidden under the ship's boiler and won't be seen. You can get away with missing it out completely, it makes no difference

Hi dhabert. The pieces in question are carlings for the lower deck and are shown on the deck plan in the instruction manual on page 27. DL6 (2 pieces) are DL82 (port and starboard), DL14 (2 pieces) are DL87. Although l made these pieces from some spare 4 mm pearwood strips l had left over from another kit. DL8 l could not find at all, but again l made from 4 mm pearwood strip. DL82 and DL87 can be found on sheet No. 12
A huge THANK YOU, Keef for your quick and precise response :)

l have made a start with the upper deck timbers, beams and carlings. There are many issues with the parts for the carlings on the sheets not matching the numbers on the deck plan. Very confusing at first but with a bit of working out, this can be rectified, so far at least. This is as far as l'm going until the wood finish l have ordered on e-bay arrives. Any more beams added will make it difficult to reach the lower section of the hull. l have borrowed the idea from Uwek of using Clou G1 :cool: . Will show the results after the weekend hopefully. The ship's stove is only placed in position, not glued, until the time comes for its permanent fitting

DSC06826.JPG

DSC06830.JPG

DSC06836.JPG

DSC06838.JPG

Each time that I check in on your build, I am simply amazed at the rate of your progress. And despite the rate of knots, you deliver outstandingly accurate and neat work. What I really appreciate is that you seem totally unbothered by missing parts, incorrect instructions and labeled parts and the like.

I think you will be most pleased with the results of the Clou.

Each time that I check in on your build, I am simply amazed at the rate of your progress. And despite the rate of knots, you deliver outstandingly accurate and neat work. What I really appreciate is that you seem totally unbothered by missing parts, incorrect instructions and labeled parts and the like.

I think you will be most pleased with the results of the Clou.
Thank you very much Heinrich for your interest and support for my build. The issues with the parts have been, at least so far relatively easy to sort out, l still think this is a great kit. l'm sure you're right about the Clou. With what l've seen of Uwek's Granado posts it looks very good

Bonjour Keef et félicitation pour vos constructions (HMS Blandford, etc...).
J'ai une question concernant cette construction. Je remarque des traces brillantes sur votre chantier entre les couples et le gabarit.
S'agit-il d'un effet d'optique, ou vous avez collé (provisoirement) les couples sur le gabarit pour maintenir les couples à leurs places pour être sur qu'il ne bouge pas lors de l'installation de l'intérieur.
Merci d'avance pour votre réponse

Hello Keef and congratulations on your constructions (HMS Blandford, etc...).
I have a question regarding this build. I notice shiny marks on your site between the torques and the template.
Is this an optical effect, or have you glued (temporarily) the couples to the template to hold the couples in their places to be sure that it does not move during installation from the inside.
Thank you in advance for your answer

DSC06838.jpg

Bonjour Keef et félicitation pour vos constructions (HMS Blandford, etc...).
J'ai une question concernant cette construction. Je remarque des traces brillantes sur votre chantier entre les couples et le gabarit.
S'agit-il d'un effet d'optique, ou vous avez collé (provisoirement) les couples sur le gabarit pour maintenir les couples à leurs places pour être sur qu'il ne bouge pas lors de l'installation de l'intérieur.
Merci d'avance pour votre réponse

Hello Keef and congratulations on your constructions (HMS Blandford, etc...).
I have a question regarding this build. I notice shiny marks on your site between the torques and the template.
Is this an optical effect, or have you glued (temporarily) the couples to the template to hold the couples in their places to be sure that it does not move during installation from the inside.
Thank you in advance for your answer

View attachment 395196
Hi Cathber. Thank you for your comments and interest in my build log. To get this photo l turned the whole thing on it's side and the effect you see is the light striking the inside of the frames creating the illusion they are filled but they are not

Donc pas de collage provisoire des couples sur le gabarit.J e vous ai posé cette question car j'ai vu cette technique mais je ne sais plus sur quel topic.
Je vois que vous avez présenté les poutres internes sur votre modèle, mais il n'y a t-til pas de risque d'une mauvaise position sans le bordage interne ?

So no temporary gluing of the couples on the template. I asked you this question because I saw this technique but I don't know on what topic.
I see that you have presented the internal beams on your model, but is there no risk of a bad position without the internal planking?

Thick stuff and Deck clamps are now all done and the positioning lugs have been removed allowing the lower deck timbers to be shaped and fitted. Everything fitted exactly as it should. The only problem was the first deck beam nearest the bow (No. 4) was made the wrong way round. l had to re-make the beam so the 2 nicks faced the stern and off-set to the correct side. Not a big problem but l wonder if Trident are aware of this error. Also 3 of the parts are numbered incorrectly, which threw me for a while looking for them. Apart from that, the accuracy of this kit is amazing and l'm really pleased with the progress so far

View attachment 393687

View attachment 393688

View attachment 393689

View attachment 393690

View attachment 393691

View attachment 393692

View attachment 393693

View attachment 393694

View attachment 393695

View attachment 393696
Keith, That’s some progress, it just get better each time that I look. Ken

The inside of the hull and deck timbers have now been treated to a dose of Clou G1 sanding sealer. l like the rich colour it brings out but not sure about the slight gloss to the finish. l've fitted the ship's stove and have been working on the ledges, making my way back to the stern with the upper deck timbers. As you can see, this ship is quite broad across the beam, which will be more apparent after it is cut and removed from the jig.

DSC06863.JPG

DSC06866.JPG

DSC06869.JPG

DSC06878.JPG

DSC06889.JPG

DSC06895.JPG

DSC06904.JPG

DSC06906.JPG

DSC06913.JPG

DSC06915.JPG

DSC06918.JPG

l have spent some hours in my workshop this last 2 weeks and made good progress on HMS Alert. The upper deck is completed with the addition of the mast partners, bringing the second phase of this project to a close. The next thing is to take the hull out of the cradle to give the outside of the hull it's final sanding. Then it's the big cut to release the hull from the jig, cutting all the frames to their correct heights. We will then see Alert's hull as it should be. At least that's the plan.

DSC06923.JPG

DSC06924.JPG

DSC06925.JPG

DSC06926.JPG

DSC06935.JPG

DSC06936.JPG

DSC06938.JPG

DSC06939.JPG

DSC06940.JPG

DSC06941.JPG

DSC06960.JPG

DSC06978.JPG