1/350 USS Idaho BB-42 kit bashed from Hobby Boss USS Arizona with plans in Polish/English

Ahoy!
Brooklyn class models in scale 1/350 are available as plastic kit. Designing and printing the hull in one copy will be more expensive than buying a plastic model.

can you post a picture(s) of what you have done to the banner model before you get another 1 to see what you have done so far? what did you do to build up the bow from the Arizona to the New Mexico? i presume you redid all the hull casements from the Arizona to the New Mexico? where did you get the New Mexico BOGP from & is it in digital format or paper format? i did a kitbash of Revell's 1/429 scale Arizona into the Mississippi back in the late 70's which i still have till i build new corrected versions(ww2 & post war missile gunnery training ship AG-128) then use the old hull for another OBB.
I am in Grenada now, but will get you pics when I get back. BGP plans for a lot of nattlrships are available free from Model Monkey. You’ll have to figure out how to print a great get to 1/350 scale. I originally bought plans from The Floating Drydock site.

I had so barley butchered the Banner hull and had to re-build from waterline up. Only the back fifth stern section is original. All decks and side casemates are from BGP plans. It took a long time to learn how to get every thing to line up in all 3 dimensions.

When I got my latest Banner hull I found it is up to .080” wider than either BGP or Profil Morskie plan show it to be.

Davidp - I made copies both 8.5x11 and to 1/350 scale and placed them in a binder

Trbingham - I found a guy at Shapeways and asked him to 3D print the bow, 01 deck and superstructures for my Idaho and he did. Also, checkout ModelFunShipyard at Shapeways for New Mexico parts as well as Model Monkey

View attachment 353578View attachment 353579
I did the same for New Amex. Details are not as crisp as Ihsd hipe. I will use as a guide for scratch built superstructure

Ahoy!

Our hull is for New Mexico for the period 1933-1944 (after modernization in 1933) All 3 ships had ALMOST the same hull configuration.

Price for 3D PRINT hull New Mexico in scale 1:200 is 200 Euro.

Ahoy!
@SigEp Ziggy We don't have this hull but we can design it. We realize private orders from one copy
We can 3D print Brooklyn-class light cruiser hull in scale 1/350 with wooden deck. Boarded wooden deck but WITHOUT marked gun, superstructures places, etc

PRICE.......
Design, tests, 3D print hull in 1/350, wooden deck, 5% for Pay Pal, shipping from Poland to USA

TOTAL PRICE
1 Pc - 200 USD
2 Pcs. - 300 USD
5 Pcs. - 500 USD
10 Pcs. - 800 USD

or 1 Pc hull+wooden deck + STL FILE WITH COPYRIGHT (For You only) 1000 USD. Hulls can be 3D printed up to scale 1/100

combine the 2 linked BOGP drawings together will give you a complete set
BB-42 USS Idaho Booklet of General Plans (1945) (version 1) https://archive.org/details/bb42bogp1945
BB-42 USS Idaho Booklet of General Plans (1945) (version 2) https://archive.org/details/bb42bogp1945v2
what is the diameter of your #2 14" barbette?
what type of 3d resin was used to print that?
figure on replacing the 3d printed yard arm with another material like brass or
I am in Grenada now, but will get you pics when I get back. BGP plans for a lot of nattlrships are available free from Model Monkey. You’ll have to figure out how to print a great get to 1/350 scale. I originally bought plans from The Floating Drydock site.

I had so barley butchered the Banner hull and had to re-build from waterline up. Only the back fifth stern section is original. All decks and side casemates are from BGP plans. It took a long time to learn how to get every thing to line up in all 3 dimensions.

When I got my latest Banner hull I found it is up to .080” wider than either BGP or Profil Morskie plan show it to be.
can you post a picture(s) of what you have done to the banner model before you get another 1 to see what you have done so far? what did you do to build up the bow from the Arizona to the New Mexico? i presume you redid all the hull casements from the Arizona to the New Mexico? where did you get the New Mexico BOGP from & is it in digital format or paper format? i did a kitbash of Revell's 1/429 scale Arizona into the Mississippi back in the late 70's which i still have till i build new corrected versions(ww2 & post war missile gunnery toraining ship AG-128) then use the old hull for another y

Davidp - I made copies both 8.5x11 and to 1/350 scale and placed them in a binder

Trbingham - I found a guy at Shapeways and asked him to 3D print the bow, 01 deck and superstructures for my Idaho and he did. Also, checkout ModelFunShipyard at Shapeways for New Mexico parts as well as Model Monkey

View attachment 353578View attachment 353579
I also got Model Fun Shipyard at Shapeways to do an 01 deck for my New Mexico. I had him print it without wood deck so zi could add my own.

Cool, I'm glad I could help. Now I just need to find some free time to work on model

I'll have to check with ModelFunShipyard about the resin, but it looks like a filament style, if that helps. I haven't decided if I will use these pieces for reference and scratch build or paint and call it good.
If you order, note that there are 3 or 4 types of filaments and finishes. the cheapest one produces a rough grainy finish. Other choices are more expensive, but offer a smoother finish

Here re some quick pics of progress so far. (I'll work on getting better ones).
I basically scratch built all above the waterline using styrene strip to raise the sides above the torpedo blister. Only the stern aft of the caisons is original. Decks are .030 plastic sheet and "wood" deck is .020 grooved sheets. I used Booklet of Gen Plans as patterns for deck. Both aft and fwd decks have a .060 waterway, Took lots of trial and error to get "wood" deck to fit just right.

NM bow.jpg

NM side view.jpg

NM stern.jpg

trbingham, how long & wide is the model as should be 21.394" in length & 3.634" width? the lower part of the bow is the wrong shape/size as should extend a bit further forward. scrape off the molded bilge keels as wrong shape & location. have you worked on the rudder skeg area yet?

Thanks, David:

My New Mex is right on for length and width. I used BGP plans to keep it in scale. I've attached a quick shot of bow profile to show its very close to profile from Profil Morskie plans. I may have to tweak upper curve slightly, but model is very close to the plans.

NM bow profile.jpg

your 1st picture of Feb 20 shows the lower part of the bow different to what you just posted which is why i asked the question. watch it with the Profile Morskie plans as they are not always right & the same goes for the BOGPs. right now i have over 140 sets of BOGPs saved on my computer both complete & incomplete.
i would not start detailing the deck til you have the hull work done as things tend to break off due to manhandling. what are you going to use to buildup the lower part of the bow, plastic, putty or both? why did you replace the original hull sides above the torpedo bulges with sheet plastic, is it because of the gun casements? the top sides of the Pennsylvania class torpedo bulges are shaped differently compared to the New Mexico class bulges. look at this Arizona midship cross section in this link http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/BB39/BOGP/RG19_ALPHA_Arizona_BB39_09.jpg & compare it to pg 35 in the Profile Morskie plans.

your 1st picture of Feb 20 shows the lower part of the bow different to what you just posted which is why i asked the question. watch it with the Profile Morskie plans as they are not always right & the same goes for the BOGPs. right now i have over 140 sets of BOGPs saved on my computer both complete & incomplete.
i would not start detailing the deck til you have the hull work done as things tend to break off due to manhandling. what are you going to use to buildup the lower part of the bow, plastic, putty or both? why did you replace the original hull sides above the torpedo bulges with sheet plastic, is it because of the gun casements? the top sides of the Pennsylvania class torpedo bulges are shaped differently compared to the New Mexico class bulges. look at this Arizona midship cross section in this link http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/BB39/BOGP/RG19_ALPHA_Arizona_BB39_09.jpg & compare it to pg 35 in the Profile Morskie plans.
Thanks, David:

I replaced everything above the waterline with from scratch made sides because I had originally cut away more of the original sides than I needed to. Bad mistake on my part. Everything thing else has been made with reference to BGP and Morski plans.
I am working on getting hill finished to the best of my ability before I start with deck fixtures, barbettes, deck house, etc.

I have another Banner AZ that I may go to if I run into a dead end on this attempt to model New Mexico. I have learned a lot of what (and what not) to do in modifying the Arizona hull.

Regarding bow profile - since the only detailed sources, other than photos of bow, are BGP and Morski plans, what should I use as a reference? I'm trying to get things as correct as possible without getting to the point of "counting rivets".

Tom

the 1st thing i would do is to start your own thread & ask site admin to move your posts & related to that new thread. the tech site i moderate, we call this thread hijacking which is a forum rule no no. it also keeps everything organized so people are not confused on what ship we are talking about.
keep using this model even to learn different techniques that can eventually be used on the 2nd Banner to build a better model.
use the pm plans of the side profile & the cross sections & locate them on the model especially the bow area. this will tell you how far back you have to go before you don't have to add material to the lower bow to build it up. i use layered plastic(bread & butter method) to build up an area so i can carve it to shape & therefore use hardly any putty. take a look at this link http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=165105 as it shows my OBB thread using Revell's 1/429 scale USS Arizona to build 17 ships from the Wyoming class to the Colorado class at various points during ww2.

Back