1/350 Akagi Hasegawa - Completion of a project long overdue

Hi Will

Small Proxxon Rotary tool and a steady hand

If you look at the second picture in my last post you will see a set of the rungs fitted plus a set of holes drilled just to the right of them.

I did try with a pin vise before but the speed is far too slow and any sideways movement and the drill is snapped.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks Nigel. I had looked at the North Star ladder pe for another job but felt it might be difficult so I passed and used a folded pe ladder. Which Proxxon are you using the cordless or corded? Where do you get the drill bits? Overhear I have found a supplier who sells reconditioned printed circuit board bits but the price is high and the range is limited.

Thanks Nigel. I had looked at the North Star ladder pe for another job but felt it might be difficult so I passed and used a folded pe ladder. Which Proxxon are you using the cordless or corded? Where do you get the drill bits? Overhear I have found a supplier who sells reconditioned printed circuit board bits but the price is high and the range is limited.
Micromot 50E with transformer. I like it because it is so lightweight and easy to hold, almost pen like.

I get my drills from drill-service.co.uk. These sizes are not cheap, I can buy a set of DIY drills for the price of one of these

Kind Regards

Nigel

I looked into the 50E but appears to be now a 60E I'm guessing.

My source of drills is expensive but I love the sharpness and the large shank fits into collets. Because of the hardness any slight side pressure snaps them so I've never tried in a hand held device.

I looked into the 50E but appears to be now a 60E I'm guessing.

My source of drills is expensive but I love the sharpness and the large shank fits into collets. Because of the hardness any slight side pressure snaps them so I've never tried in a hand held device.
Yes the model number may have been updated as I have had this one for several years.
I prefer something nice and light, I have other tools for sanding, grinding milling etc so don’t need this for anything else other than light drilling and occasional carving

Thanks Nigel I'll look forward to how the ladder steps come out. I have a very light duty one I've used for years and the last time I tried to drill into boxwood it slowed down requiring several passes to punch through 1/8th material.

All the holes are now drilled for the ladder rungs and the longest runs are also fitted.I touch the tips of the rungs in medium CA, just enough to hold in place.Once all the run of rungs are fitted I run down the joints with watered down ultra glue.

Looking at the pics, firstly my iPhone is pants at zooming in on this small a detail and secondly the holes look "dog rough". Need to remind myself these rungs are only 1mm across and any discrepancy will be virtually unnoticeable to the naked eye.

Second thing, do not attempt this after drinking Caffeine, I was flying last night working on this and fitting the rungs was easy.Got up today and thought I would just place a few more rungs after drinking coffee, not good, Caffeine does affect the steadiness of your hands.Heard this before and I can now attest it is true!

Back to work tonight after a Bank Holiday break, so model parked until next weekend.

Kind Regards

Nigel

IMG_1112.jpgIMG_1113.jpgIMG_1114.jpgIMG_1115.jpg

Very nice it looks wonderful. Only the Japanese would put ladder steps down to the anchor. So holding the template steady and drilling how did you do this?

Thanks, Tamiya masking tape and a second drill bit in a hole I drilled first

There is a Jack stay to fit that runs just abve the waterline and meets with the bow ladder and others. I assume these are to cater for men overboard and rescueing survivors

That's a lol about the jack stay OMG you could never use it when the ship is in movement. At the top of the ladder there does not seem be any provision to get on board. I like the ladder and will do so on my Akagi as I'll be looking for visual interest and not the detailed realism which you are achieving.

Hey Nigel what reference material are you using for the Akagi build?

Hi Will

I am only replacing detail I have cut off.I have cross referenced against Stephan Draminski"s 3D model on Youtube and that is as far as I have taken it.Modern kits by Hasegawa and Fujimi tend to be pretty darn good when it comes to accuracy and you would have to delve really deep to find things to refute their depictions of Japanese subjects.

Kind Regards

Nigel

When I looked at the ladder steps they really jumped into view almost as much as railings. I wanted to add them to my Akagi, when I start, but North Star ladder steps seem to be out of production and so far I haven't had any luck.

When I looked at the ladder steps they really jumped into view almost as much as railings. I wanted to add them to my Akagi, when I start, but North Star ladder steps seem to be out of production and so far I haven't had any luck.

Yeah, from what I can gather, others had difficulty locating/obtaining North Star products currently.

Not sure what to suggest, bought some ladder rungs and drilling jig in 1/200 for my Yamato intended for Missouri, not sure if you could find something similar for 1/350??

Thanks Nigel. I finished my Gambier Bay and now am about to start the Akagi. I plan to add the pe sets "A. B, C" having never found the super set I purchased a set of "SSmodelkit" which has no instructions. I am wondering if it would be correct of me to ask for you to scan and email the super set instructions? I keep looking for more posts of your Akagi.

Hi Will

I have been having a short sabbatical as I have been applying for a new job which I have got. I am currently working my notice where I am and being in limbo has meant I can't focus on much else in the meantime.

I have the instructions out and they are A4 deep but about a metre long fold out affair. Currently trying to see if I can sections at a time as my home scanner/printer is only A4

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Will

Struggling with that. If you PM me your email address I will try and scan it through at work Monday night and send direct from my current work email

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back