1/100 Heller Victory kit must haves?

I just got back into modeling after 30 or so years by building the 1/72 scale Uss Gato kit from Revel. It turned out good and reignited the desire to get back into modeling.

I just received the Heller 1/100 Victory and have started with building the cannons while I await the arrival of the PE kit I ordered from Daniel. The kit I have appears different from others I see posted on this site and unboxing videos. All of the parts are molded in light tan, not multi colored. There's also only two small rolls of thread and no anchor line. So the question I have is what extras are must haves to make the model good? I'm looking at the wood deck offered from hismodel as well as the Amati line kit he offers. Are those good choices or are there better ones out there? What about wood blocks and such? I've never done a sailing ship model so it's all new to me.

Any help and advice you can all offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Upgrades for plastic kits are where you find them. They are quite scarce. HiS Models has the largest selection I have seen. Most people replace the masts and yardarms with wood also. Wooden blocks and decent rope add a lot to a plastic kit, but the hardest thing I can think of is painting the hull such that it looks like wood. As someone who has made a model at 1:100 scale, I can tell you that it is far more challenging to get a high degree of detail compared to a 1:64 or better yet a 1:48 scale model. It is challenging to use 2mm blocks for gun tackles, for example. Trenails on the deck become small, barely visible dots at 1:100 scale. Building large models is much easier.

Last edited:
first of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum
Interesting project you have - for information: Daniel alias @dafi is a member here in our forum, and I am pretty sure, that he will give information what can or could be pimped on this Heller-model.

but please you shopuld also check the other building logs of very good plastic modelers - I am sure you will get a lot of information

I just got back into modeling after 30 or so years by building the 1/72 scale Uss Gato kit from Revel. It turned out good and reignited the desire to get back into modeling.

I just received the Heller 1/100 Victory and have started with building the cannons while I await the arrival of the PE kit I ordered from Daniel. The kit I have appears different from others I see posted on this site and unboxing videos. All of the parts are molded in light tan, not multi colored. There's also only two small rolls of thread and no anchor line. So the question I have is what extras are must haves to make the model good? I'm looking at the wood deck offered from hismodel as well as the Amati line kit he offers. Are those good choices or are there better ones out there? What about wood blocks and such? I've never done a sailing ship model so it's all new to me.

Any help and advice you can all offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Hallo @Twahl
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back