YQ Bluenose Ted R

The eagle has landed. Got the kit this afternoon. Thank you RegView attachment 428382

Great stuff, Ted - I am really excited for you. When you start the build, please make sure to post your build in the Bluenose Group Build section https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/forums/bluenose-pof-group-build.319/

Simply scroll to Bluenose Group Build Logs and join the family!
I will. And thank you for your assistance in me getting this kit. I just had a first look at the plans and materials. Absolutely phenomenal.

I've been following Paul Lester's Bluenose build on YouTube. He is using cut down melamine blocks to clamp the hull frames during glueing. I'm building off the top of an old kitchen table. I can't afford to go out and purchase plates of glass just to glue the keel. Would lining the table top with wax paper or plastic wrap be sufficient without causing me problems later.

I've been following Paul Lester's Bluenose build on YouTube. He is using cut down melamine blocks to clamp the hull frames during glueing. I'm building off the top of an old kitchen table. I can't afford to go out and purchase plates of glass just to glue the keel. Would lining the table top with wax paper or plastic wrap be sufficient without causing me problems later.
It’s good to follow another builder. Here’s Paul build-log with also his video’s and some other information in between:
Regards, Peter

Hello Ted, Welcome aboard the great YQ-Bluenose build Form, You will find lots of yelp here on the SOS Bluenose Form. May I suggest that you go to your local glass store and ask for some of there old used glass, this they will gladly give it to you for free.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ted, Welcome aboard the great YQ-Bluenose build Form, You will find lots of yelp here on the SOS Bluenose Form. May I suggest that you go to your local glass store and ask for some of there old used glass, this they will gladly give it to you for free.
Regards Lawrence
Thanks wilco

I am very happy to another Bluenose building log
Have fun with this project

For building the keel and frames, I suggest that you might check Walmart or Hobby Lobby for some medium size photo frames for affordable cost, and use the glass from them, but be careful as it is usually thinner glass than what a glass shop would sell you.

For building the keel and frames, I suggest that you might check Walmart or Hobby Lobby for some medium size photo frames for affordable cost, and use the glass from them, but be careful as it is usually thinner glass than what a glass shop would sell you.
That's an excellent idea. I'm going to call a local glass shop today for used glass. If that doesn't work I'll go to Walmart or Amazon

I've decided to take a step back. Rather than rush the finish of my Virginia Swift model to start the Bluenose I'm going to preserve and try to upgrade my skill set. Meanwhile I m acquiring the supplemental tools and supplies to get started properly.
See first attempt at forming brass with fourth piece.17084703504276064693118327323131.jpg

If you have a Hobby Lobby or other hobby craft store nearby, then look in jewelry department at tools, they have specialty pliers designed to help make rings and loops. In the 5-10 a piece range.

Back