Willem Barentsz by Kolderstok AD 1596

Happy birthday, my dear friend. May this be a wonderful year ahead for you to spend with your family and loved ones in good health and prosperity. I also wish you the successful conclusion your WB and many happy modeling years ahead!

Jan, I wish you all the best and a very Happy Birthday Birthday-Cake. Enjoy the day.
Happy Birthday Jan, enjoy!
Good Afternoon Jan. A very happy birthday indeed. Have a good one! Cheers Grant
Happy Birthday Jan, enjoy your day.Coffee-CupBirthday-CakeCoffee-Cup
Happy birthday, my dear friend. May this be a wonderful year ahead for you to spend with your family and loved ones in good health and prosperity. I also wish you the successful conclusion your WB and many happy modeling years ahead!
My hearty thank you to all of you for the Happy Birthday wishes. You are a great bunch and I am delighted to be able to call you friends.

Jan

Happy birthday Jan, my best wishes for an enjoyable day.
Thank you. It’s going to be a fun day for just the Admiral and me. We’ve had to postpone the BD party scheduled for this afternoon. Mother Nature proved tenacious. The minor storm forecast for yesterday turned into major event. First snow, then a mix, then heavy rain and finally a flash freeze. It makes for a great photo, but thousands are without commercial power.

E7E89CC7-A6EB-462F-B4DF-F275B77683FC.jpeg
11C57F8D-BB33-4E34-A78C-78B81191D2BF.jpeg

Quick photo from our front porch. The actual weather forecast was for a “dusting of snow” :rolleyes:

Jan

Belated Birthday wishes Jan.
I learned a long time ago that when they forecast a dusting or flurries watch out and be prepared. :)

Belated Birthday wishes Jan.
I learned a long time ago that when they forecast a dusting or flurries watch out and be prepared. :)
Thank you for the Happy Birthday wish.

We decided a long time ago log time ago that if the forecast was a spread of inches to add the two numbers together. Most of the time we have been right. This storm destroyed quite a few Pine trees, the snow/sleet and the flash freezing of that combo on the Pine branch needles caused a lot of limbs to shear off. The hardwoods not having any leaves this time of year mostly escaped injury. Just about every road in our section of town with Pines bordering them had broken limbs strewn on the macadam and were impassable.

Jan

The Foremast "Novice Disaster"continued".

I'm as usual making slow and steady progress, one deadeye, block , rigging re-do, take it apart and re-do, etc.

After a number of repeats, and lot of wasted cordage I settled on a method for getting the Topgallent shrouds the same length.

IMG_4265.jpeg

I scaled the first shroud from the build plan and added the deadeye, then laced the two deadeyes together and and tied the second shroud off. The effort managed to get the shroud lengths almost equal.

The next exercise - the topgallant stay looked simple enough on paper - but after a few aborted attempts and overloading the "Bad Word" jar it proved to be quite the challenge. I didn't have enough fingers to hold and thread the 0.3mm thread through the nine itty bitty holes in the bowsprit. I had to call in the local critic to add an additional set of fingers to the mix.

IMG_4268.jpeg

Everything will be tensioned when I add the other set of topgallant shrouds and the two backstays.

So that's todays story.

Jan

Last edited:
Dear Jan. Had I known that the bowsprit "hanepoten" (literally translated as cock's feet ROTF), was next on the agenda, I could have saved you an awful lot of work. You obviously followed the Kolderstok plans, which in turn followed Hoving's build.

Fallacy.pngThis shows Hoving's build which was partly used as the basis for the Kolderstok plans which you followed.

However, I have serious doubts about this configuration. Only one drawing in Gerrit de Veer's Journal (which is the only primary source) shows something which may resemble the hanepoten - on all the others, it follows the layout as shown below.

8784a64aa320932875a8af68e074de483ca32cde.jpg
Example 1

Alamy.png
Example 2

WillemB.jpg
Example 3

WR 2.png
Even the highly regarded Plaat No 8 does not show the "hanepoten".

replica.png
And neither does the build of Gerald de Weerdt.

Your construction effort, however, looks fine my friend. I would just attempt to lift the spider web somewhat higher. Conversely add another swear word to the jar, and just do it the right way. This is still something I need to correct on my model as well.

Wow, that is a substantial difference for that part of the WB’s rigging. Thank you for posting your findings. As you noted I followed the build plan for stringing that whatyamacallit, ie.(hanepoten), and I think I’m happy with the result. None of the Foremast rigging has been tensioned so any changes to hanepoten can be made easily.

Jan

Last edited:
The Foremast "Novice Disaster"continued".

I'm as usual making slow and steady progress, one deadeye, block , rigging re-do, take it apart and re-do, etc.

After a number of repeats, and lot of wasted cordage I settled on a method for getting the Topgallent shrouds the same length.

View attachment 438061

I scaled the first shroud from the build plan and added the deadeye, then laced the two deadeyes together and and tied the second shroud off. The effort managed to get the shroud lengths almost equal.

The next exercise - the topgallant stay looked simple enough on paper - but after a few aborted attempts and overloading the "Bad Word" jar it proved to be quite the challenge. I didn't have enough fingers to hold and thread the 0.3mm thread through the nine itty bitty holes in the bowsprit. I had to call in the local critic to add an additional set of fingers to the mix.

View attachment 438062

Everything will be tensioned when I add the other set of topgallant shrouds and the two backstays.

So that's todays story.

Jan
Good afternoon Jan. I’m sharing your pain. Also had a rigging day where not much other than the swear jar was working. Those crows/cock feet are something I’m will permanently avoid. Non the less your WB is progressing into a magic little ship. Cheers Grant

Back