Why are there (almost) no female ship modellers?

My wife is all about knitting and crochet as are many women. She is so good with the latter I had her perform some of her magic on my last build (Tug Ulises) creating a realistic a bow bumper. Can she be counted as a female modeler now?
No, but yes, cool.. maybe she should start a business here, I'm sure many of us need bow bumpers and fenders! ;)

Hej Jan! How nice to hear from you!
Jan is the most common name in the Netherlands (I'm Dutch), and it is indeed also -rarely- used as a girl's name.
(often in its diminished form 'Janneke').

Beautiful ships!
I see you are building Constructo's steam launch Elidir?
It is on my wish list, some time ago it was rebranded "Louise"..but it is not available anymore..can not find it in Europe:(

thanks for chiming in!

Edit: and I see a Zeeschouw? ...so Dutch ancestry I assume!
Hello John - yes started the Elidir, but it was a very old kit, found in a very old store. The wood seems very dried out and hard to work with. So, I am stuck planking at the keel where the planks must twist and turn. I can trace back to the Netherlands when my ancestor came over from Amersfoort, Utrecht in 1650-ish. The Zeeschow was very fun to work on until I got to the mast. The instructions simply didn't make sense and I got discouraged.... When I get discouraged, I try to do something on the easy side for awhile :)

I am one of the few female model boat/ship builders, but then my dad built Monehgan skiffs for the local campsite, and "Dynamite" Harold Payson known for the Payson dory lived only a few doors down. As well, I grew up 32 ft from the high water mark and loved the little lobster fishing village where I grew up. I loved the local schooners and other boats that sailed by our house in the Mussel Ridge channel--e.g the Victory Chimes, Angelique, etc.. Spent many hours sailing with Capt. Rick on the Timberwind in my 40s, including filling in as a deckhand when he was short-handed, age 45 as just a number--LOL!

I do other handwork--i.e. sewing, quilting, needlework e.g. crewel, X-stich, embroidery etc to avoid RX for RA (blessed) then donate the finished projects to hospice patients and others, to bless another. As a kid I built many of the military airplane kits by Revell. After visiting the USS Constitution in 1996, I vowed before I died I was going to build Revell's USS Constitution. It was the first model I started in August 2022; then I met Nic at BlueJacket after a "clunky" start planking the $10 Chinese dragger, and seeing his model of the USS Constitution, I was able to see how the side pieces took parts at an angle to grasp the rigging lines. But, after wooden models including BlueJacket's skiff, the USS Constitution got sidelined as was hooked on the wooden boat/ship kits, and there seemed to be some errors in Revell's instruction sheet, as well as lousy pics for rigging.

After 9 mos of working on inexpensive, pre-owned name-branded model boat kits, to learn how to correct problems, I progressed to more BlueJacket, Midwest, and Model Shipways' models. When I went back to the Revell's USS Constitution, I had found other Revell Instructions for different years of the USS Constitution that I was able to combine with the set of instructions that came with my year's model for the rigging, and some books on rigging, I went back to it and completed in May 2023!

In 2023 I really got involved with Mid-West, Model Shipways, and found several BlueJacket kits for decent prices on Ebay. I have 2 work tables for model building. Can keep paint parts drying on one (upstairs) and the other actively available to work downstairs.

In 2023 I completed a variety of simple Woodcraft series to keep fingers moving, while working on the more quality kits--Midwest, Model Shipways, BlueJacket, Constructo--etc and veered once in a while to do the 3D wooden puzzle model kits--UGEAR vehicles and others. Could keep "instant gratification" projects going, like the 3D puzzle models, Woodcraters, etc. while working on the other bench to build the nicer boat/ship kits!

Besides growing up and loving the ocean and its boats/ships, I also really like the old classic cars! And, I also really like heavy construction equipment--i.e. backhoes, bull dozers, loaders, timber cranes, dump trucks, etc and have completed several of the 3D wooden puzzle models of those. I would have loved to have driven one of dad's dump trucks when he worked construction, but couldn't pass the physical for class B or Class C back then!

When I could pass for the CDL, at age 47, I drove 18-wheels long-haul--another story. . .

Be Blessed,
Chaplain JJ

I suppose it is because of the womens liberation movement that started circa 1969 ish. Women, wanted to be equal to men, and they got their way, by golly. After that, men and women both worked, and there was no time for raising kids in the family. A few generations later and you get the byproduct of this, women who are without role models, women who are not taught anything at all about neat stuff that men do, like hobbies, etc. The women of this current generation ranges in ages. The men of this era have floundered also. Only a handful of people have the knowledge of craftmanship, creating an object just for fun. This has all been replaced by fake social applications on cell phones to bide the time of people.
Blah blah blah, Mike

I'm a woman.

I love ship modelling, so far. I've been working on the Buccaneer and have a build log here.

I love tools.
I love metal detecting.
I love doing repairs around the house.
I love plumbing.

I used to build dollhouses.
I used to work on cars.
I used to work at Kodak as an electronic tech. I was the only woman in that department.

I wear Dickies double-knee work pants, flannel shirts, and hiking boots on a daily basis. I can't remember the last time I wore a dress.

I adore Olha and her videos and hope to someday be a tiny bit as skilled as she is.

I love my husband. And my husband loves that I do all the "man" jobs around the house.

I fit no stereotype and have found no offense in any of the comments in this thread. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Very good! (my brother was at Kodak, about 30 years).

I am one of the few female model boat/ship builders, but then my dad built Monehgan skiffs for the local campsite, and "Dynamite" Harold Payson known for the Payson dory lived only a few doors down. As well, I grew up 32 ft from the high water mark and loved the little lobster fishing village where I grew up. I loved the local schooners and other boats that sailed by our house in the Mussel Ridge channel--e.g the Victory Chimes, Angelique, etc.. Spent many hours sailing with Capt. Rick on the Timberwind in my 40s, including filling in as a deckhand when he was short-handed, age 45 as just a number--LOL!

I do other handwork--i.e. sewing, quilting, needlework e.g. crewel, X-stich, embroidery etc to avoid RX for RA (blessed) then donate the finished projects to hospice patients and others, to bless another. As a kid I built many of the military airplane kits by Revell. After visiting the USS Constitution in 1996, I vowed before I died I was going to build Revell's USS Constitution. It was the first model I started in August 2022; then I met Nic at BlueJacket after a "clunky" start planking the $10 Chinese dragger, and seeing his model of the USS Constitution, I was able to see how the side pieces took parts at an angle to grasp the rigging lines. But, after wooden models including BlueJacket's skiff, the USS Constitution got sidelined as was hooked on the wooden boat/ship kits, and there seemed to be some errors in Revell's instruction sheet, as well as lousy pics for rigging.

After 9 mos of working on inexpensive, pre-owned name-branded model boat kits, to learn how to correct problems, I progressed to more BlueJacket, Midwest, and Model Shipways' models. When I went back to the Revell's USS Constitution, I had found other Revell Instructions for different years of the USS Constitution that I was able to combine with the set of instructions that came with my year's model for the rigging, and some books on rigging, I went back to it and completed in May 2023!

In 2023 I really got involved with Mid-West, Model Shipways, and found several BlueJacket kits for decent prices on Ebay. I have 2 work tables for model building. Can keep paint parts drying on one (upstairs) and the other actively available to work downstairs.

In 2023 I completed a variety of simple Woodcraft series to keep fingers moving, while working on the more quality kits--Midwest, Model Shipways, BlueJacket, Constructo--etc and veered once in a while to do the 3D wooden puzzle model kits--UGEAR vehicles and others. Could keep "instant gratification" projects going, like the 3D puzzle models, Woodcraters, etc. while working on the other bench to build the nicer boat/ship kits!

Besides growing up and loving the ocean and its boats/ships, I also really like the old classic cars! And, I also really like heavy construction equipment--i.e. backhoes, bull dozers, loaders, timber cranes, dump trucks, etc and have completed several of the 3D wooden puzzle models of those. I would have loved to have driven one of dad's dump trucks when he worked construction, but couldn't pass the physical for class B or Class C back then!

When I could pass for the CDL, at age 47, I drove 18-wheels long-haul--another story. . .

Be Blessed,
Chaplain JJ
Intreresting. When rigging my Mamoli Constitution, horrible instruction, I found I still had the instructions from my 1966 Revell. Don't know if they changed, but they were were very good, more than just illustrations, they descibed, in order, each line and where it went.

You see there's this god named Mars who has a planet, and there's this goddess named Venus who has a planet. As the French would say, "vive la difference." My wife knits, sews, buys stuff for everybody- even wraps it! She makes the birthday cards arrive on time. We have curtains on our windows and placemats ( what are those for?). She cares how she looks. She makes comments about my choices in that regard. She has never turned the music up. I don't believe she has ever set off fireworks. ( after 44 years, I'm certain she has never farted nor belched) I, on the other hand, have toy soldiers, trains, models, guns, swords, records by the thousand, a basement full of old stereo stuff, a garage full of tools and broken "someday" fixes. I still play Led Zep and the Dead on 11 and would cruise at 100 mph if allowed. It seems to me, that exceeding even war, the main topic of all literature is the the "DIfference." Ain't it great!

I would think upbringing has something to do with it. Lionell made a pink train hoping for the female market, it was a flop. I taught both my kids, one son one daughter to build plastic models, it didn’t stick for either one of them. I would say the bigger problem is getting more younger people into our hobbies.

16.000 members.. any female modellers among them?
Only Olha Batchvarov that I know of (one of the best!).

Why is this? Probably there are 'historical' reasons, that have to do with traditional gender roles etc.
He goes to sea and she stays home and spends her free time with needle work.
But that certainly can not be the case anymore?

In 'real' sailing/boating things have changed a lot over the last 40 years or so.
More and more women sail for leisure or work on ships professionally.

But here, women mostly appear in lame jokes about 'admirals', or asked to sow sails for us..

I seriously wonder if there are any ladies out here, and if anyone has a theory why it -still- is what it is..
Judy Clark here from Colorado. Working on the Harvey 1847. It's my second build. I really have enjoyed this forum and have gotten lots of good tips. Just not much of a poster. I'm a 66 year old retired woman. Keeps my mind going

Well ya made me scratch my head with the “ lady ship builder “ comment. What were ya thinking….

The other half of the population of this planet are far more sensible than us. We fiddle with small innate things, glue our fingers together, cut ourselves, curse, call ourselves names… I think bewildered maybe too…

A woman MIGHT do all these thing just once, not twice. They’re more sensible…. But I’d think if a lady has built more than one boat, she must have done everything right the first time. Like follow the instructions

I believe that ship model building has been traditionally a male pursuit. Until the 1970's women were not admitted to Maritime colleges or Federal Academies. Their role in the Armed Forces was strictly limited. Women's roles in maritime activities were basically in the pleasure boat sector. However, since then the roles of women in the military and civilian maritime industry have exploded. I think more women will eventually become involved in model ship building in the future. Give them time. If more were exposed to Olha Batchverov's work I think more would say, "Hey, if she can do that, I can do it."

My wife and I own a needlepoint store on Cape Cod and there are but two guys who are into that as a hobby. At least, that's all I can think of. They're very good too but they're definitely a bit unique. Most owners are women, too, so it's likely it's fitting typical gender roles.
Some canvases are a half million stitches of all types (it's not cross stitch) so they definitely have the patience, dexterity and ability to make a good ship. My wife likes mine and they do get displayed but she's never shown the slightest interest in having a go herself. She didn't when I was a plastic modeler, either. So I wonder if it's just the engineering aspect that turns them off ships as a whole. Maybe getting grubby, too.
I am 83 and have done counted cross stich most of my life. I started in the 1960's with the Hummel characters because my wife collected them and later expanded into other areas, mostly Civil War and maritime subjects. During my merchant career in the '80s and '90s I did a lot of Xstitch while on my ship for my 4-month tour, as we had no TV and it was very relaxing and a way to kill time. My 2 Civil War pieces that I finished then are my pride and joys. I have them framed and in my bedroom.

My dentist is a modeller, his realm is R/C planes & a few R/C boats. He never engaged in static wood ship modelling. He has a daughter who is in a school of dentistry. She asked him what skills in life would be applicable to corresponding to dentistry. He looked into plank on frame static ship modelling, and bought her a starter kit. He raved to me how happy he was that she took to it, and actually did a nice job completing the project!

My dentist is a modeller, his realm is R/C planes & a few R/C boats. He never engaged in static wood ship modelling. He has a daughter who is in a school of dentistry. She asked him what skills in life would be applicable to corresponding to dentistry. He looked into plank on frame static ship modelling, and bought her a starter kit. He raved to me how happy he was that she took to it, and actually did a nice job completing the project!
How's her bridge work?

My wife and I own a needlepoint store on Cape Cod and there are but two guys who are into that as a hobby. At least, that's all I can think of. They're very good too but they're definitely a bit unique. Most owners are women, too, so it's likely it's fitting typical gender roles.
Some canvases are a half million stitches of all types (it's not cross stitch) so they definitely have the patience, dexterity and ability to make a good ship. My wife likes mine and they do get displayed but she's never shown the slightest interest in having a go herself. She didn't when I was a plastic modeler, either. So I wonder if it's just the engineering aspect that turns them off ships as a whole. Maybe getting grubby, too.
I did needlepoint as a young teen for a few years to combat my migraine headaches. Can’t remember “why” I stopped

Back