Why are there (almost) no female ship modellers?

I went to lamaze classes. Wife ended up having a C section.
I've never been to anything more useless than childbirth classes. All three were disasters in one way or another....
Turned our fine.....but disasters on the day.
It's a bit like reading about sex. You can read every book ever written and you still won't know a thing!!
Like trying to explain what a strawberry tastes like. You just have to taste one.
Same with ship building I think. It's a fabulous exercise in patience, craftsmanship, humility, more patience, frustration, elation, pride in one's achievement, etc. But you have to build one to know. It's a fabulous hobby and I wish I'd started it decades ago.

I've never been to anything more useless than childbirth classes. All three were disasters in one way or another....
It's a bit like reading about sex. You can read every book ever written and you still won't know a thing!!
Like trying to explain what a strawberry tastes like. You just have to taste one.
Same with ship building I think. It's a fabulous exercise in patience, craftsmanship, humility, more patience, frustration, elation, pride in one's achievement, etc. But you have to build one to know. It's a fabulous hobby and I wish I'd started it decades ago.
awwww....I enjoyed attending childbirth classes especially the bit where you get to lie on your side with a a pillow between your knees to help relaxation. Fell asleep every time, Awesome! :)

no fem modelers.... shes too busy taking up the slack of her lazy husband who is spending countess hours on a stupid model hes been building for the past 30 years! he didnt even notice all the kids moved after they got married a few years ago.

Same for us!

16.000 members.. any female modellers among them?
Only Olha Batchvarov that I know of (one of the best!).

Why is this? Probably there are 'historical' reasons, that have to do with traditional gender roles etc.
He goes to sea and she stays home and spends her free time with needle work.
But that certainly can not be the case anymore?

In 'real' sailing/boating things have changed a lot over the last 40 years or so.
More and more women sail for leisure or work on ships professionally.

But here, women mostly appear in lame jokes about 'admirals', or asked to sow sails for us..

I seriously wonder if there are any ladies out here, and if anyone has a theory why it -still- is what it is..
Here is one. She runs her own site on You Tube, which she uses to teach about wood model ship building. Her name is

Olha Batchvarov

There are others. Kate Turabian is a published author about her ship modeling. I forget the name of a winner of scratch building with her HMS Leopard.
There are others although I cannot remember their names.

Bill

Here is one. She runs her own site on You Tube, which she uses to teach about wood model ship building. Her name is

Olha Batchvarov

There are others. Kate Turabian is a published author about her ship modeling. I forget the name of a winner of scratch building with her HMS Leopard.
There are others although I cannot remember their names.

Bill
Olya is a member of our forum @shipphotographer.com

Referring to the original title I am afraid there are not too many male modellers either...
János

Women do not generally tinker with stuff, or indeed have hobbies. There are some female pursuits equivalent to model shipwrighting, like embroidery or furnishing really elaborate dolls' houses (that one I do completely get). You don't often find female collectors of anything though, and when you do, they tend to collect stuff not as an end in itself but because whatever it is has some actual utility as homeware or gardenware. So you do get female collectors of ceramics, garden gnomes, and what not. A bloke interested in gardening would express it by having a collection of 25 vintage lawnmowers, or would try to amass 2,000 different types of rose, or something. Roses aren't a great example, because collecting rose varieties was invented by the Empress Josephine no less, but collecting for collecting's sake is not really a female behaviour.

If women did build models, I could see them taking up ship building if only because model ships, especially tall ships made of wood, are acceptable household ornaments provided you don't have twenty of them, they don't have any ugly associations and you are prepared to dust them. My Cutty Sark bought in Mauritius in 1993 is allowed a prominent position in the house, but I don't think the Nazi battleship Bismarck would be tolerated for domestic display. However, most men who build models are in effect continuing a childhood hobby into adulthood, which is why we're a bit sheepish about it. Dolls' houses aside, the XX half of the population doesn't really do this.
I know a woman who is absolutely seriously envolved with doll house construction. Furniture et. al. Right down to constructing shoes at 1:12 scale of all things. Over the years had lengthy discussions with her. We share each others works and passions of our hobbies. She goes to seminars and trade shows up and down the east coast. If you get into this hobby you'll find it very sophisticated in it's support of tools, techniques and plans. I liken it to model railroading.

Last edited:
Last saturday my wife told me: "how good it is for you" in relation to the Lisbon Occre tram that I am building, and immediately, looking around the room, and "how bad it is for you." At first I didn't understand her very well with this last statement.... She was referring to the room (I had been sanding for a few hours)
Next step, stop sanding and start cleaning the room... :rolleyes:

Don't be naive, it is more likely that women are in the group and do not appreciate the brash remarks often associated with hobbies commonly associated with male gender. Therefore they may be choosing to be there, however without being seen. Imagine that, huh They may even use husband's name etc.
Hallo @LINUS
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Good evening all (it's evening here)

I've been reading this thread with interest. I poised this question to a women at work a while back and she became indignant at the suggestion that women wouldn't be modelers. I showed one of Olya's videos and remarked how impressed I was with this women's skills and that a women would consider such an endeavor. Her response to me was that there are lots of women involved in crafts and do very artistic, creative, beautiful work in all kinds of medium. However this person never did address the notion that there just are many female modelers. I don't know why women are not interested. Perhaps one could find an answer buy looking at from another angle. Why aren't men generally interested in quilting, needle work, knitting, sewing, decorating, etc. Some those activities tend to be group activities and the participants can collect to talk and exchange thoughts and idea while doing their crafts. Most art classes in college were populated with women (when I was enrolled 50 years ago). While it is an interesting question I'm not sure I will invest more time pondering.

Back