What doesn't super glue stick to??

Materials that cannot be bonded are teflon, polyethylene, polypropylene, materials with acidic coatings, and some plastics which are very oily and flexible.

CA does not stick to nylon, teflon nor polyethylene plastics, nor well to various stainless steels. Since there are a wide range of stainless alloys, if you have to glue something to a piece of stainless, test first!

A piece of glass is best for me. Just pry carefully with an exacto knife or razor blade. It will pop right off. I've tried waxed paper and tin foil. Glass is best. Just need to keep it clean.

CA was designed to bond best between two parts that have a clean tight fitment and are held tightly together while the CA cures. For example, hold two parts tightly together and use CA thin to wick between the parts…classic CA. The point being CA often adheres parts when they are tightly held together then otherwise. If there are gaps then use CA thick or gel. Just an interesting observation on the question of what CA bonds.

I think over the years I've glued my project to the mat more than to themselves.
I read that Super glue won't stick to silicone.
I'm thinking of buying a silicone mat to glue small pieces on. My self-healing mats are scarred and bumpy from super glue incidents, I try to be sparing and careful, butttttt.

An suggestions?
I have a non-stick mat that was sold as a barbecue mat for outdoor grills. Superglue absolutely does not stick. A cut off a small piece that I use to keep my fingers away from the joint being glued when finger pressure is necessary to keep parts together until the glue sets.

Something like this

Last edited:
CA was designed to bond best between two parts that have a clean tight fitment and are held tightly together while the CA cures. For example, hold two parts tightly together and use CA thin to wick between the parts…classic CA. The point being CA often adheres parts when they are tightly held together then otherwise. If there are gaps then use CA thick or gel. Just an interesting observation on the question of what CA bonds.
Was it not developed in the late 1960's in the US as IS12? Where the initials I.S. stood for Instant Suture. I heard it was availabe for field emergency medical kits in the Vietnam War? Thats why it sticks so well to human skin.

I keep seeing the advice to use a silicone mat which I’ve never seen in the numerous hobby shops that I frequent. Where would I find such for sale? Website?
phill

I think over the years I've glued my project to the mat more than to themselves.
I read that Super glue won't stick to silicone.
I'm thinking of buying a silicone mat to glue small pieces on. My self-healing mats are scarred and bumpy from super glue incidents, I try to be sparing and careful, butttttt.

An suggestions?
Polyethylene. I use Polyethylene gloves works great and, on my table, tops. Usually been able to peel it off and remove parts accidently glued down. Usually used on green houses. bought from farm supply. Will stick to silicone.

Also note that trying to glue painted parts with CA is a problem as it takes forever to set and bond is not so good

I agree with the nitrile gloves (though don't like wearing gloves for anything, including winter) and waxed paper. I almost always have a piece of waxed paper on top of the cutting mat (unless i need the mat for measurements--actually, I use deli paper like you get in takeout food baskets because they are pre-cut with no ragged edges. Instead of a toothpick or brush for CA glue, a pro model builder at BlueJacket gave this suggestion when I first began ( I used needles sized 22 and 24 only because I buy that size in bulk for embroider/cross stitching: Place a sewing needle in the end of a dowel. Cut the end of the needle with the eye to leave a "u" shape in the eye--this holds the dot of glue. Use this to apply small dots of glue. When the end of the needle gets blobbed, light a match to it, and the blob will burn away. I had not used small drill bits when I started, so I just wrapped the needle on the side of the dowel with heavy gaff tape. Have 2 I have been using for over 16-months!

Blessings!

polyethene is best, I use polyethene gloves. Nitrile is also a problem. Also use polyethene sheet for green house. from farm store. instant glue Will stick to silicon.

I avoid anything that contains silicon. Silicone is a real plague that can destroy many things. I work in a large factory with advanced manufacturing. All use of silicone is prohibited. If silicone enters the manufacturing process, it is almost impossible to get rid of it. Silicone spreads like a virus and prevents surface treatment, gluing, sealing from being good. In shipbuilding it might not matter but I would avoid anything containing silocon.
That let's out about 2/3rds of Hollywood "stars."

Back