USS Constitution by Model Shipways 1:76 scale.

Hello Tony!

Thanks for the compliment. It was really difficult to add details, especially the mini dimensions made it difficult to finish it perfectly.
I have learned a lot from my mistakes in the meantime...and hope to do better next time.

Hence the next question: in an earlier message there was mention of the HMS Diana or the Model Shipways USF Confederacy.
Which of the two would you prefer and why?

I am now going to start rigging... but I cannot estimate how much time I will need for this... and in the meantime I am ready for a new project.

Hello Tony!

Thanks for the compliment. It was really difficult to add details, especially the mini dimensions made it difficult to finish it perfectly.
I have learned a lot from my mistakes in the meantime...and hope to do better next time.

Hence the next question: in an earlier message there was mention of the HMS Diana or the Model Shipways USF Confederacy.
Which of the two would you prefer and why?

I am now going to start rigging... but I cannot estimate how much time I will need for this... and in the meantime I am ready for a new project.
These are two beautiful ships, A few years ago I purchased the Diana but the Confederacy is still on my wish list.
Why did I choose the Diana, 1 To me it's one of the best looking wooden ships on the market. 2 It's made by Caulder craft a brand with a very good reputation. 3 It is a fully rigged ship at the time I thought this was a good idea but now I have no idea where another model this size will go. 4 This kit was available, which meant not having to order from a website.
On the other hand if the Confederacy was sitting next to the Diana in the hobby shop my purchase could have been different. Right now a ship without rigging is appealing and I could have saved a bit of money.
If you would like to know more about the Diana I can take some photos of the kit for you, there's a excellent build log of the Confederacy on this site.
Good luck with your choice I'll be interested to know what you decide on.

Dear Tony,

Yes, I would like to receive some pictures from the Diana-Kit.
I fully agree with your comments....
Although this kit is rather expensive : +- 900 euro's....
On the other hand, I absolutely don't like rigging...

Hello Tony,

Again a question: As I'm going to start the rigging.
I'm wondering if I install first the MASTS without the Yards or should I pre-assemble the MASTS together with the yards ....
What would be the easiest way in order to install for example the shrouds ....

These are two beautiful ships, A few years ago I purchased the Diana but the Confederacy is still on my wish list.
Why did I choose the Diana, 1 To me it's one of the best looking wooden ships on the market. 2 It's made by Caulder craft a brand with a very good reputation. 3 It is a fully rigged ship at the time I thought this was a good idea but now I have no idea where another model this size will go. 4 This kit was available, which meant not having to order from a website.
On the other hand if the Confederacy was sitting next to the Diana in the hobby shop my purchase could have been different. Right now a ship without rigging is appealing and I could have saved a bit of money.
If you would like to know more about the Diana I can take some photos of the kit for you, there's a excellent build log of the Confederacy on this site.
Good luck with your choice I'll be interested to know what you decide on.
I am thinking of getting the Model Shipways Confederacy as well. It would be my first admiralty model that I build.

Hello Tony,

Again a question: As I'm going to start the rigging.
I'm wondering if I install first the MASTS without the Yards or should I pre-assemble the MASTS together with the yards ....
What would be the easiest way in order to install for example the shrouds ....
Hi Marc
I have always installed the masts first then the standing rigging leaving the yards and running rigging till last. I generally work front to back and bottom to top. Before fixing the masts and yards I tie off as many lines as I can.
I have seen some build logs where the masts are finished off the ship but I don't think this method would work for me.
On my last model I made all my own rope and was really pleased with the results.

Tony

Hi Marc
I have always installed the masts first then the standing rigging leaving the yards and running rigging till last. I generally work front to back and bottom to top. Before fixing the masts and yards I tie off as many lines as I can.
I have seen some build logs where the masts are finished off the ship but I don't think this method would work for me.
On my last model I made all my own rope and was really pleased with the results.

Tony
Thx Tony,

I will follow your advise ;) :)
On my previous model I indeed installed the finished masts before the rigging...and was facing some issues eg accessibility..
Thx

Marc

Hi
It's been a while since I've updated my slow progress so here's where I'm up to. The decking is finished and the hatches only require stain and varnish.

IMG_20240416_204427.jpg
The first planks where placed against a rule to insure it's straight. This is the first time I have planked directly on bulkheads, it's much easier to lay them onto a plywood base.

IMG_20240326_213910.jpg
Some of the strips varied in width by as much as 0.5mm this nearly cought me out a few times.

IMG_20240416_204124.jpgIMG_20240406_145854.jpg
IMG_20240406_145935.jpg
IMG_20240415_133714.jpg
IMG_20240415_133759.jpg
I used a Sharpie on one side of the plank to represent the caulking and pencil for the ends. A 4 plank shift is used and the planks are 150mm long. I wanted to ues shorter length planks but the distance between bulkheads was a problem.

IMG_20240406_144754.jpg

Tony.

Back