Suggestions about book to start

Hello everyone!

Thanks for all welcome messages, I'm new here and new in ship modeling.
I've always worked with plastic vehicle models, but I've started build my first naval wood kit and I've just finished it.
My first model kit is a Mini Mamoli Bregante, I will post pictures of it.
I'm interested in historical italian and mediterranean ship models and I would like to have suggestions about books on:
- rigging (something about nodes from XIV to nowdays);
- sails (drawings, rigging and colours of sails);
Instead about modeling I would like to know more about paintings and detailing.. different kind of woods to use, painting for wood, how detailing (maybe some useful tools to have)..
Since I'm new here I didn't have time to read all threads about these arguments so if there are already threads about it (and sure there already are) could you please link them or help me in find them?
Thanks a lot to everyone!

Thank you Jimsky, I've started seen that yesterday evening just after my post and yes I've found what I was looking for!
I'll keep on searching there!
Thank you

I have three suggestions - books that I found helpful in the beginning, and still refer to when this land-lubber has a question. They are:
Ship Modeling Simplified by Frank Mastini
Ship Modeling from Stem to Stern by Milton Roth
Historic Ship Models by Wolfraim zu Mondfeld

Apparently the latter is controversial with some inaccuracies. But I find it very helpful with the questions I've asked of it.

A Vey informative book, Historic Ship Models by W Z Mondfeld, full of many examples.

Hello everyone!

I've always worked with plastic vehicle models, but I've started build my first naval wood kit and I've just finished it.
I'm interested in historical italian and mediterranean ship models and I would like to have suggestions about books on:
Instead about modeling I would like to know more about paintings and detailing.. different kind of woods to use, painting for wood, how detailing (maybe some useful tools to have)..
Since I'm new here I didn't have time to read all threads about these arguments so if there are already threads about it (and sure there already are) could you please link them or help me in find them?
Here are photos I took in Toulon of traditional Mediterranean vessels, their rigging and color schemes. They may give you some ideas. Mike

IMG_0858 2 leudo rigs.jpg

IMG_0860 St Antoine.jpg

IMG_0860 St Antoine edit.jpg

Thank you everybody for suggestion, I'm marking down every book you are talking about, and sure I will keep all pictures in my safe desktop folder.
About historical italian vessels (expecially galley and sciabecchi which I'm interested in) I'm receiving many suggestions too from italian maritime museums, above all for construction plans and paintings for coloring. I'm making treasure of everything and I will put all together when I have enough documents to study.
Thank everyone again!

you can find a lot of interesting and helpful books in reviews and Look Inside in this area

Hello everyone!

Hallo @ClaudioF84
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back