Starting my first model

I would also like to warmly welcome you to the forum and have fun.

Welcome! My first ship was La Couronne, and advanced build, but I came to modeling with already skilled hands and experience from other hobbies. So, figuring out he tools needed wasn't all that hard, and I had most of the tools anyway. Like you observed, reading build logs is the fastest way to learn what you need and how to do things.

Everyone has their favorite tools also. For cutting wood to rough shape, the razor blade chopping tool and the band saw are good. For fine shaping, a good sanding block is a must. Here is one sanding block I use, available at Menards home improvement stores:

1696985446560.png

You will also need: a set of needle files and a set of diamond files, a rotary tool with various attachments, CA glue (cyanoacrylate) and PVA (polyvinyl acetate, yellow wood glue such as Titebond II), and whatever power tools for wood you can afford sized for small model work, like a table top band saw, scroll saw, mini table saw, etc. for cutting your own parts or planking. Useful tools not commonly found in hardware stores include Amati 7mm fine brass pins for holding plans to the hull framework, Xacto razor knife set and lots of various blades, and an airbrush and compressor for finer quality painting, although you can get by with hand brushes of good quality.

Welcome! My first ship was La Couronne, and advanced build, but I came to modeling with already skilled hands and experience from other hobbies. So, figuring out he tools needed wasn't all that hard, and I had most of the tools anyway. Like you observed, reading build logs is the fastest way to learn what you need and how to do things.

Everyone has their favorite tools also. For cutting wood to rough shape, the razor blade chopping tool and the band saw are good. For fine shaping, a good sanding block is a must. Here is one sanding block I use, available at Menards home improvement stores:

View attachment 399406

You will also need: a set of needle files and a set of diamond files, a rotary tool with various attachments, CA glue (cyanoacrylate) and PVA (polyvinyl acetate, yellow wood glue such as Titebond II), and whatever power tools for wood you can afford sized for small model work, like a table top band saw, scroll saw, mini table saw, etc. for cutting your own parts or planking. Useful tools not commonly found in hardware stores include Amati 7mm fine brass pins for holding plans to the hull framework, Xacto razor knife set and lots of various blades, and an airbrush and compressor for finer quality painting, although you can get by with hand brushes of good quality.
(You know......you can never have enough tools....)

Model Shipways used to offer a package deal, buy the first entry kit, build it, post photos on their webpage, and they send you credit to buy the next kit in series.

I think the thing to do is just jump in and get started. After a while you will know if you need extra tools and remember that Santa is on his way - my family are always grateful for gift ideas. Good luck with your build and please keep us posted.

If you want a learning tool to guide you through a basic model build take a look at the practicums offered by Bob Hunt at Lauckstreetshipyard.com. Get a beginner practicum along with the kit and you will learn a lot about building a model ship!

That is correct!Send a picture of you and your finished Dory and we will give you a full store credit. Shipping costs included!
...so you are giving the free kits!!! Wow, who can beat this?? This is a great offer. Thank you for such a great deal, Model Shipways!

Half the fun of this hobby has been buying more tools! I started out with my first kit a couple years ago with an Xacto knife, neeld nose pliers, and some glue. Needless to say I have a lot more stuff now.

You do not half to spend a fortune on tools when first stating to build your models. My first wooden ship kit ( over 50 years ago) was the Billings Danmark. The only power tool I used was an electric drill, and after shoving the chuck through the deck because of a dull bit the model was completed using hand tools only. As we progress with our model building skills our inventory of good tools also increases. All I can say is, do not buy cheap inappropriate tools. They only lead to frustration and maybe a loss of blood:oops:

Back