Shipwreck documentaries

Ship That Changed the World​

Five centuries ago, the Age of Exploration and Europe’s imperial colonization of far-off lands was launched by a revolution in ship design that made long-distance ocean voyages practical. But exactly how this momentous innovation happened eludes historians. Now, the excavation of a rare intact wreck discovered off the coast of Sweden offers vital new clues to a maritime mystery.

1200x675.jpg

WATCH THE DOCUMENTARY FILM

Ghosts of the Deep: Black Sea Shipwrecks​

Season 1

The largest maritime archaeological expedition ever mounted has made astonishing finds that are rewriting maritime archaeology, such as the discovery of three ancient Roman shipwrecks last seen two thousand years ago. Where once understanding Roman ship designs was a guessing game based on fragments of wood, now, these stunning wrecks reveal the ships of the Empire as they really were.

91WXDP6EFVL._AC_UY436_QL65_.jpg

WATCH THE DOCUMENTARY FILM

Thanks for these links. I am looking forward to viewing them.
Two things I wonder about, (Maybe answers in the videos?) was a Roman Empire era vessel worthy enough to sail the oceans? From what I have read, seems like they kept to the Mediterranean not because of technology in boat building, but because of their beliefs of the mysteries & dangers that lurked below the sea. Also, fast forward a thousand years or so....the Viking Long Boats...Archeology has proved they settled Greenland...is it possible these boats were worthy enough, and indeed did reach the North American shores, as sketchy archaeological evidence seems to suggest?

Back to the Roman Empire, I read a theory about the "second pediment" above the portico roof of the Pantheon (126 A.D.) in Rome. The theory is that this "second pediment" was probably constructed as part of the original plan, and was to be the original roof line of the portico. The theory stated that the original portico columns may have been shipped by sea and the ship that was transporting them went down somewhere in the Mediterranean. They had to go to plan "B" which was to utilize available shorter columns to keep the project moving. An interesting theory,....to think this shipwreck may be found one day with the remains of these columns aboard would be a fascinating find!

This is huge rabbit hole to jump into… so much time can be spent looking into it and watching the
tv shows “ Drain the oceans “

truly amazing
Agreed. I am in the middle of a 1/350 Minicraft Titanic build. It will not be anywhere near a "Rivet Counter" example. I did see the computer 3d images recently released, as depicted in the OP's original posting. It made me alter one detail that I was questioning after viewing many Titanic model builds. The 3d images convinced me to make the alteration!

I had the privilege to dive on the USS Arizona in Pearl Harbor! It is a US national park and the director is an underwater archeologist, like your husband.

He recruited us to dive (every 6 months) on the ship to collect coins that tourists had thrown from the viewing platform. They cause galvanic corrosion, so we were prolonging the life of the ship.

He had a piece of 3ft plexiglass that showed the top and side view of the USS Arizona, as she sits on the bottom. He would point to something on the plexiglass and then point to something on the ship. Examples include Ketchup bottles, still on the mess deck from 1941, or a porthole into the Captain's Cabin where you could see his beautiful clawfoot bathtub!

We'd then drop down into the 30ft diameter hold under the main turret that blew 200ft into the air. Down we'd float 4 decks to the bottom of the turret shaft. It is here that they place small rectangle urns with the cremated remains of the survivors, who chose to be buried onboard the USS Arizona. A very somber experience of which I am privileged to have taken part of.

I wish I'd had a camera, but this was back in the 1990s and underwater cameras were very expensive!!

Back