Ship in trouble

While staying in hospital early this year as a result of open heart surgery and therefore confronted with the finitude of life, I got the idea to picture a ship that was apparently also at the end of its existence. Some weeks earlier I had started another pinas and I used the unfinished hull for just that purpose. But the only thing I could do was to give it a broken rig. It became soon clear to me that if you really want to build a broken hull, you will not get away with the same building technique used for healthy ships. You will have to take into account the wreckage right from the start. So in future, if time is given me, I might work out a wrecked ship with planks missing, showing frame parts and partly broken decks. This is not a completely new challenge for me, as I have always built my wooden models just like they were built in real life, but as we all know: paper is different.
In the mean time you might like the result of this first effort, of which we soon will present a Photoshop composition, showing the ship in its natural and fitting surrounding.
Pinas_wrak_0893_HR kopie.JPG

Pinas_wrak_0915_HR kopie.JPG

Pinas_wrak_0959_HR kopie.JPG

Pinas_wrak_0966_HR kopie.JPG

Pinas_wrak_0974_HR kopie.JPG

Happy new year,
Ab

Hallo Ab,

Good to see you back on track.
Looking forward to your new book with your models and grapics which look as real as it can get.

Wishing you a healthy 2024 and hope you can waist even more time in this wonderful hobby of ours. ROTF

Hi Ab,
I am a heart surgeon and I hope they treated you well!

I love your end of its existence model. Did your figurines come with the kit? I can't find any of them at the right size. Do you know where one can find them?

Best regards and Happy New Year.

Thank you Maarten. Hope you will turn back to your fluit project soon. You stopped your threat with a cliffhanger.

Hello tomhh, nothing to complaint about my heart surgeons. Very nice and able people. Nevertheless an intervention like this (three bypasses) does make a man philosophical, hence the subject of the project.
The figurines did not come with a kit, because the model did not come out of a box. I don't do kits, it's all improvisation with paper and card. The crew can be made with two components stuff like Milliput or Magic Sculpt around a wire skeleton. A search on the internet will surely deliver some effect.
Good luck!

Hi Ab. great work on your "smalschip". Best wishes in the coming year.

I am also working on a "disaster at sea" - the Titanic.
It's just a small plastic kit, but it will be sunk on a pond from being too close to an iceberg.
The "iceberg" will be a disguised noodle tug with a strong magnet hidden on one side. When close to the Titanic, the magnet will trigger a Hall Effect sensor on the Titanic which, in turn, will open a solenoid valve to let water in the ship. Recovery is accomplished by a fishing line that was previously attached to the Titanic's hull. For now, the testing is done in a laundry tub. When spring arrives, I hope to post a video.

Hang on to that fishing line, Ab!

Fred

I haven't yet had the necessity to be carved open like a holiday turkey to resolve my sketchy circulatory issues, but it took two cardio experts working in tandem to do a ream and clean and install multiple stents, while I lay awake on a steel gurney, able to fell every twist and turn of the catheters as they wound their ways through my arteries from opposite ends , in order to meet in the middle and shore up the banks of my blood vessels. There will be no do overs. Last opportunity.
As Dr. Johnson (I believe) is reported to have said: " Nothing can so focus the mind as the prospect of being hanged."
I sincerely hope your intervention has added a few more good years to your carburetor. Thumbs-Up
I hope to never see a clever model of a broken Ab Hoving!Cautious

Pete

Hi Ab
You probably don’t remember me, but many years ago I emailed you with some questions I had about the model of the Friesland I was building at time. You took the time to answer me and I greatly appreciated it.
I’m sorry to hear you had health problems. I want to wish you a speedy and full recovery. And a happy and healthy new year.
Best regards
Barry Rudd
Delray Beach. Florida.
PS: That’s a terrific looking model. You are very talented.

Has anyone built a ship that sank and was displayed underwater in its dilapidated condition? Ab's Pinas project made me think of that.

Back