Sheaves on main bitts

Can anyone help with what the sheaves on the main bitts on the upper deck was used for? Or do I mean the sheaves on the cable raisers? (see pictures) In any case, I can't seem to find an answer from any of my books when and how they were used. Some contemporary models have them and some do not. Thanks!

Bitt_sheaves1.jpg

Bitt_sheaves2.jpg

There are more parts on a mast what need to be lifted, think about the parrels. In the drawing there are a lot of ropes not mentioned. The parrels have a system to lift them up and down, but also a system to tight them to the mast. Then think about the topmast lift, yard tackles, buntlines, leechline etc. All need to be tackle and these sheaves where used for that.

Thank you Uwe and Stephan for your replies!

I had a suspicion that this might be so, and then I came across one of your earlier posts with the picture from Harlan that explains the process:

I've ordered the book!!

But then I have a follow up question :)

When a line is lead through these sheaves in the bitts to the capstan, wouldn't the pumps be in the way of a clear run? I also can't figure out how the pumps aren't in the way of the messenger running along the cable lifters when the anchor cable is brought in. Were they unshipped for these operations?

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 15.25.51.png

I am pretty sure, that there were several times barriers and obstacles on the way towards the capstan, and I know often they had to dismantle things like guns, ladders etc. in order to be able to work with a capstan - but they did it

here the example with the messenger cable during lifting the anchor

Screenshot 2024-04-03 150119.png

Take a look at @dafi building log where he showed in detail how it was looking when they worked on the capstan

lower deck
Victory-120802_0124.jpg.4b074d848bb88f50cee3f34489ddc00d.jpg

upper deck
Victory-spill-230529_3251.jpg

I am pretty sure, that Daniel also checked the way of such a messenger cable towards the capstan

but also this topic

I am pretty sure, that there were several times barriers and obstacles on the way towards the capstan, and I know often they had to dismantle things like guns, ladders etc. in order to be able to work with a capstan - but they did it

here the example with the messenger cable during lifting the anchor

View attachment 439536

Take a look at @dafi building log where he showed in detail how it was looking when they worked on the capstan

lower deck
View attachment 439537

upper deck
View attachment 439538

I am pretty sure, that Daniel also checked the way of such a messenger cable towards the capstan

but also this topic

Thank you Uwe, this was very helpful!

I agree with Uwe. I read in Capt George Vancouver's journal that they discovered the hold had about six feet of water in it. They had to move the yawl out of the way and take the cross arm off the bitts before they could use the chain pumps. I think that on these ships everything was in the way of everything else.
I also appreciate the question about the sheaves in the bitts. I was just looking at that yesterday and couldn't figure out they were used for.

Wow, that is a very well-done model! Those sheaves are to change the direction of pull from vertical to horizontal. If there is a line coming down from above, maybe 3 or 4 men could be pulling on it before it would get too crowded. Running the line through the sheave so the pull is then horizontal, you could have the whole crew pulling on it.

Back