Question on Plank Bending

Pretty ingenious! I can see using a contour gauge in combination with your jig to set the curve.

Any additional tips for bending thick planks? I’m soaking and using an electric bender but it’s super tough given the thickness (2mm) and the sharpness of the bend (these are not my pics - same ship, someone else’s build).
IMG_6826.jpeg
IMG_6829.jpeg

such problema are sometimes solved using and bending f.e. 2 times 1mm thick plank and laminate / glue them together

For such a bend I would not use an adjustable jig. Use a scrap of 1/2" or more plywood cut to the same shape. Make an outside and inside piece(allowing for the 2mm thicknes. This allows you to clamp the planks easier. I boil the plank for a few minutes and then clamp it into the form. You have to have everything set up as time is of the essence when dealing with this small stuff. It cools off so quick. A little ammonia in the boiling water couldn't hurt.

Any additional tips for bending thick planks? I’m soaking and using an electric bender but it’s super tough given the thickness (2mm) and the sharpness of the bend (these are not my pics - same ship, someone else’s build).
So after a bunch of soaking and bending I used so rubber bands and clips to hold the boards in place and gently “forced” the board into the corners - and left it overnight.

There was some splitting/cracking but it was on the side where it will be glued and not seen. I put a little glue into the splits/cracks and used a clamp to hold until the glue dries. I’ll then give everything a good sanding.

I’m very pleased with the results.
IMG_6822.jpeg
IMG_6831.jpeg

Back