Pocher 1:8 scale Lotus 72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Dean, I’m some way into the build and I have to say that for an £800 model, it’s surprisingly inconsistent in quality. I have missing parts, instructions the wrong way. Anyway, enough moaning! I’m waiting on Pocher to send the missing parts so I have some time to look at detailing. How did you paint the transmission? What grey did you start with and what colour did you use for the dry brush - it looks really good
Would be good to understand what colours you used for other details - for example the injectors and bolt heads

Step 3…one side of the upper motor…
View attachment 375090

Completed with detail painting…
View attachment 375091

For comparison, the other side I have to repeat this on. You can see the header flanges were silver! So I painted them black and painted the bolts heads. On the valve cover, I painted the mid bolts and nuts to match what I have seen on the real cars. Some were black and some were silver. I like the silver. In addition I added a little grey on the bolts around the perimeter. I will add a wash once the motor goes together more.
View attachment 375092View attachment 375093
Now to repeat on other side… ;)
What paint do you use on these die cast parts and what do you mean “apply a wash” sorry beginner modeller here

Hi Dean, I’m some way into the build and I have to say that for an £800 model, it’s surprisingly inconsistent in quality. I have missing parts, instructions the wrong way. Anyway, enough moaning! I’m waiting on Pocher to send the missing parts so I have some time to look at detailing. How did you paint the transmission? What grey did you start with and what colour did you use for the dry brush - it looks really good
Thank you, I started with a dark grey that I dry brushed on the black, then I added a lighter grey on the edges as a highlight. Hope that helps.

What paint do you use on these die cast parts and what do you mean “apply a wash” sorry beginner modeller here
I used water based acrylic enamel paints on everything. A wash is a technique where you thin the paint out and brush it in the model and it runs in the cracks and gives more depth and detail. They make wash paints that are already thinned properly, but you can make your own by adding a few drops of paint to water. It’s a very watered down mix so it doesn’t add color to anything but the lower areas. It sometimes takes a few applications to get the desired result. If any remains on a high surface, you can clean off with a q-tip before it dries. Hope that helps.

I used water based acrylic enamel paints on everything. A wash is a technique where you thin the paint out and brush it in the model and it runs in the cracks and gives more depth and detail. They make wash paints that are already thinned properly, but you can make your own by adding a few drops of paint to water. It’s a very watered down mix so it doesn’t add color to anything but the lower areas. It sometimes takes a few applications to get the desired result. If any remains on a high surface, you can clean off with a q-tip before it dries. Hope that helps.
Interesting, I use the tamiya acrylic paints and the hobby shop suggested I use a primer first before applying to metal but I guess can apply straight? One more question, how do you weather the parts, like the shock struts?

Interesting, I use the tamiya acrylic paints and the hobby shop suggested I use a primer first before applying to metal but I guess can apply straight? One more question, how do you weather the parts, like the shock struts?
This kit is pre painted, so you have the option to just assemble. I chose to paint all the parts to add detail. Therefore you don’t need a primer, unless it’s on bare metal. For that I use Vallejo Primer (grey).
To weather parts, I use a wash and dry brush. Both techniques add depth and realism. You can look them up on the internet.

Back