Paints for wooden ship models in Australia

Hi from the land Down-under. I’m struggling with finding a good range of water based paints for brushing on wooden ships models. Most seem to be for air-brushing? One example of white modellers paint was virtually water with some colour. What would be great is a set of paints that could be mixed. I’d maybe order a set from Occre or Artseania Latina but not sure if they are suitable. Most shops down here have a few ranges but it gets expensive using the trial and error method.
Any advice gladly accepted

I do not know, if these paints are available in Australia, I can fully recommend the watercolour paints from Ecoline

ecoline.jpg

Also @Maarten used them on his Bluenose, I am using them since two or three models, and I guess also several other members here

Hi from the land Down-under. I’m struggling with finding a good range of water based paints for brushing on wooden ships models. Most seem to be for air-brushing? One example of white modellers paint was virtually water with some colour. What would be great is a set of paints that could be mixed. I’d maybe order a set from Occre or Artseania Latina but not sure if they are suitable. Most shops down here have a few ranges but it gets expensive using the trial and error method.
Any advice gladly accepted
Hi Andrew
Welcome to SoS. Many Aussies here and able to give local perspective on all things to do with modeling and purchasing.
In regard to paints I use predominantly Caldercraft Admiralty paints, purchase here. Postage is fast and affordable.

I have also used Vallejo and Humbrol paints too. Humbrol are enamel.

Vallejo can be purchased online from hobbytools , or Metrohobbies, or
Frontline.

I use brush and airbrush with these acrylics with good results.

Thanks Uwek, I found ecoline in a store here, I’ll check them out

And Chestcutter thanks you’ve given me lots of choices. That paint I referred to was actually a water wash so I found on checking out your source. Ha. Admiralty Paints so watch out when you buy a white from them.

Glad that I’ve found this forum

Last edited:
I use craft-store acrylic paints almost exclusively and more than 50 wood models later, still use them with great results. They are widely available, cheap and come in any color you would ever want. Easy to brush paint, or thin for spraying.

I second the use of artist quality acrylic water based hobby paints that you can get online or in most craft and hobby stores. Inexpensive, have a good matte sheen, covers very well, and brushes on smooth. Regular hobby acrylics are my go to choice.

I have been using red oxide in a rattle can from an auto parts store, for my hull. They have some great primers too.

Hi Andrew, I purchase these same paints from Floataboat at floataboat.com.au They are based in Ringwood Victoria and pricing is good. They have an extensive parts list and will try to source whatever your need.

Buenas yo uso acrilicos Vallejo son económicos y con muy buenos resultados. Los puedes conseguir en Amazon.

Hello, I use Vallejo acrylics, they are economical and have very good results. You can get them on Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Andrew, When I started timber ship modelling I had a collection of water based hobby paints that my son had acquired when he was keen on a tabletop game called Warhammer. The paints had been stored for many years and when I opened some of the containers I found that after a stir they were perfectly usable and some of the colours were exactly what I needed.
Since then I have bought many more paints from their outlet. Their paints are designed for painting miniature figures and have very good coverage but are not heavy so they don't hide detail like wood grain on timber planking. A good example is the buff hull colour on both my HMS Surprise and HMS Bellona builds which I originally thought would be a difficult match and would involve trial and error until I found the Warhammer shop had exactly the right colour in their extensive range.
Warhammer shops are located all over the place and a quick search showed shops in your general area of Melbourne. They also trade under the name Games Workshop.
Cheers, David Lendrum .

Back