My CNC machine: what and why?

Hi colleagues,

Here, I will share a few words about my CNC machine.
Additionally, I will try to provide the results of my small market research that I conducted while searching for a machine.

There are the machine specifications:
• Working Table: 400mm x 300mm x 135mm
• Clearance: 170mm • Height from table to spindle nut: 220mm.

• Frame: Cast iron
• Ball Screw SFU1605. Taiwan.
• 20mm rail guides. Taiwan.
• Integrated stepper motors on all axes: 2.4 Nm, 200 steps/revolution (1.8 degrees).
• Spindle: 1.5 kW, ER16, water-cooled, 24000 rpm.

• Capability to cut threads of any size using spiral interpolation.
• Spindle activation synchronized with program start, pump, air, and coolant.
• Rapid traverse speed (G0) up to 4000 mm/min.
• Processing accuracy up to 0.01 mm, repeatability not worse than 0.025 mm.
• Non-perpendicularity for X/Y not worse than 0.01 mm over 200 mm, and for X/Z and Y/Z not worse than 0.01 mm over 120 mm travel.
• Machine dimensions: W x D x H: 700mm x 620mm x 650mm.
• Machine weight: 170 kg

The machine is controlled by DDCS v 3.1. I'm not sure this is the best controller ever, but so far I had no problems with it.
What is especially convenient for me - this CNC does not need a PC to be plugged in. The control program (G-code) is transferred via a flash drive.

And this is how it looks:

MyCNC.jpg

The machine is far not lightweight. 170 kg forced me to design and make a special "heavy-duty" table for it.
The box, light, and vacuum cleaner will follow sometime... Hopefully...

I will continue, if you find this part interesting...

wow that's quite a machine.
I have a cheap CNC3018 machine. I was unsure if I wanted to continue with this type of tool so I purchased something cheap. Having said that, I did upgrade some things on it such as the spindle. I also changed some of the bearings on it because they were sticking. I also changed the controller to a newer version of GRBL, and I am looking at installing limit switches so that I can have some semblance of safety. I purchased the switches I just have to install them. I also purchased an enclosure for the thing. I guess the "cheap" machine probably was not so cheap after all. lol
And I must not forget the laser module that I purchased but am too chicken to try out...

Last edited:
wow that's quite a machine.
I have a cheap CNC3018 machine. I was unsure if I wanted to continue with this type of tool so I purchased something cheap. Having said that, I did upgrade some things on it such as the spindle. I also changed some of the bearings on it because they were sticking. I also changed the controller to a newer version of GRBL, and I am looking at installing limit switches so that I can have some semblance of safety. I purchased the switches I just have to install them. I also purchased an enclosure for the thing. I guess the "cheap" machine probably was not so cheap after all. lol
And I must not forget the laser module that I purchased but am too chicken to try out...
"Yeah, that's something that usually happens to me as well. When you have just a machine, you quickly realize that you need an upgrade or, at the very least, more accompanying tools and devices. I'm currently considering adding a 4th axis to my machine. However, even at this stage, I'm not fully utilizing its potential, and it requires some budgeting as well. :)"

170kg, huh? Yeah, that's probably not something I can consider. I make a rule of not using tools I can't lift. ;-)

Realistically, I could probably never justify a machine, but I like working with Fusion 360 and love the idea of having the parts made from my design. I guess for now I'll just follow this thread too.

Wow! Some times it's not what you know, but who you know. I, like Blanche Du Bois, "have always relied on the kindness of Strainjuhs" :rolleyes: .Fortunately I have known a variety of folks who have such sophisticated devices and the knowledge to operate them.
Much to my good fortune and undying gratitude.
Lately I am relying on the techs at MY Computer Works to guide and instruct me as to how to upload pictures on this forum, without who's help I would,... well, be "lost at sea!':oops:

Pete

Hi colleagues,

Here, I will share a few words about my CNC machine.
Additionally, I will try to provide the results of my small market research that I conducted while searching for a machine.

There are the machine specifications:
• Working Table: 400mm x 300mm x 135mm
• Clearance: 170mm • Height from table to spindle nut: 220mm.

• Frame: Cast iron
• Ball Screw SFU1605. Taiwan.
• 20mm rail guides. Taiwan.
• Integrated stepper motors on all axes: 2.4 Nm, 200 steps/revolution (1.8 degrees).
• Spindle: 1.5 kW, ER16, water-cooled, 24000 rpm.

• Capability to cut threads of any size using spiral interpolation.
• Spindle activation synchronized with program start, pump, air, and coolant.
• Rapid traverse speed (G0) up to 4000 mm/min.
• Processing accuracy up to 0.01 mm, repeatability not worse than 0.025 mm.
• Non-perpendicularity for X/Y not worse than 0.01 mm over 200 mm, and for X/Z and Y/Z not worse than 0.01 mm over 120 mm travel.
• Machine dimensions: W x D x H: 700mm x 620mm x 650mm.
• Machine weight: 170 kg

The machine is controlled by DDCS v 3.1. I'm not sure this is the best controller ever, but so far I had no problems with it.
What is especially convenient for me - this CNC does not need a PC to be plugged in. The control program (G-code) is transferred via a flash drive.

And this is how it looks:

View attachment 379878

The machine is far not lightweight. 170 kg forced me to design and make a special "heavy-duty" table for it.
The box, light, and vacuum cleaner will follow sometime... Hopefully...

I will continue, if you find this part interesting...
Hi Max,
Very nice looking machine, personally I would put this machine in the nearly professional quality category. Your friend knows what he is doing IMHO.
I like the controller looks like a better idea than using Mach 3 or 4. You could potentially take some very heavy cuts with that spindle and 16mm ball screws.
The dust protection looks really good as well.
When you say "integrated stepper motor" is that intergraded with the ball screw or as a linear actuator package that might include rails as well, ready to bolt on?

Cheers,
Stephen.

170kg, huh? Yeah, that's probably not something I can consider. I make a rule of not using tools I can't lift. ;-)

Realistically, I could probably never justify a machine, but I like working with Fusion 360 and love the idea of having the parts made from my design. I guess for now I'll just follow this thread too.
Me too. In retrospect, I probably should have purchased a 3D printer instead. Oh well, maybe at a later date.

Me too. In retrospect, I probably should have purchased a 3D printer instead. Oh well, maybe at a later date.
My son would give me his older/smaller resin printer, but there is so much mess with resin, smells, etc. but it's also temperature sensitive and needs to be indoors. And filament printers don't have resolution good enough for smaller ship parts.

Hi Max,
Very nice looking machine, personally I would put this machine in the nearly professional quality category. Your friend knows what he is doing IMHO.
I like the controller looks like a better idea than using Mach 3 or 4. You could potentially take some very heavy cuts with that spindle and 16mm ball screws.
The dust protection looks really good as well.
When you say "integrated stepper motor" is that intergraded with the ball screw or as a linear actuator package that might include rails as well, ready to bolt on?

Cheers,
Stephen.
Thank you, Stephen.
Yes, this machine is capable of much more than just working with wood. Its heavy and rigid construction minimizes vibrations, increasing precision and repeatability. Therefore, it's absolutely capable of working with steel. However, its primary design is intended for softer metals such as copper, bronze, brass, and various aluminum alloys.
Just forget the word "integrated". In the sense you mean, the motors are separate and connected to the ball screws in a conventional manner.

My son would give me his older/smaller resin printer, but there is so much mess with resin, smells, etc. but it's also temperature sensitive and needs to be indoors. And filament printers don't have resolution good enough for smaller ship parts.
Yeah, this is a common issue for the resin.
But, e.g. I use "eco" resin from Anycubic. Yes, I'm still do everything with gloves, but there almost no odors.

Back