MAST

HELLO MY NAME IS GARY AND I'M WORKING WITH BLUENOSE 20001, I'VE LOOKED AT ALL THE DRAWINGS AND THE INSTRUCTION BOOK
AND CANNOT FIND ANYTHING WHER TO DRILL THE HOLES FOR THE MAST'S. MINE IS THE 1:115 SCALE.

CAN ANYONE OUT THERE HELP ME?

grycone@yahoo.com

HELLO MY NAME IS GARY AND I'M WORKING WITH BLUENOSE 20001, I'VE LOOKED AT ALL THE DRAWINGS AND THE INSTRUCTION BOOK
AND CANNOT FIND ANYTHING WHER TO DRILL THE HOLES FOR THE MAST'S. MINE IS THE 1:115 SCALE.

CAN ANYONE OUT THERE HELP ME?

grycone@yahoo.com
Hi Gary,
For the build of my YuanQing Bluenose I used this picture for some detailing:
664 Angle.jpg
The side and top view of a drawing of the original Bluenose of L.B. Jenson in his book: Bluenose II, The Sage of the Great Fishing Schooners.

His book is for the BN-II, so there are also drawing of that one:
1215 BN-II.jpg
Perhaps this will help you.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
THANK YOU, I KNOW THE DISTANCE BETWEEN THE MAST IS IMPORTANT, WHAT I NEED IS THAT MEASURMENT BETWEEN THE MASTS.
MAYBE SOME ONE OUT THERE HAS THIS MODEL AND CAN GIVE ME THAT MEASUREMENT.

THANK YOU, I KNOW THE DISTANCE BETWEEN THE MAST IS IMPORTANT, WHAT I NEED IS THAT MEASURMENT BETWEEN THE MASTS.
MAYBE SOME ONE OUT THERE HAS THIS MODEL AND CAN GIVE ME THAT MEASUREMENT.
Hi Gary. When you see the location of the mast in the drawings, why then the measurements?
Both masts, by the original and the BN-II, are positioned between the 1st and 2nd shroud. See the chainplates / deadeyes on the hull.
If you want measurements: measure your model from bow to stern and scale the drawing to that. Then you can measure everything on the deck.
Regards, Peter

Hi Gary. When you see the location of the mast in the drawings, why then the measurements?
Both masts, by the original and the BN-II, are positioned between the 1st and 2nd shroud. See the chainplates / deadeyes on the hull.
If you want measurements: measure your model from bow to stern and scale the drawing to that. Then you can measure everything on the deck.
Regards, Peter
HELLO PETER.
THIS IS MY FIRST BUILD AND HAVE NO EXPERIENCE BUILDING A BOAT, I DON'T KNOW THE NAMES OF ANY THING ON THIS BOAT.
I HAVE NEVER DONE ANY SCALING AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT A SHROUD IS, I'M SURE BY THE END OF THIS BUILD I WILL KNOW.
THE DIRECTIONS ARE MISSING IN THE INSTRUCTION BOOK AND NO INDICATION ON THE DRAWINGS ALONG WITH MISSING PARTS.

THANKS, GARY.

HELLO PETER.
THIS IS MY FIRST BUILD AND HAVE NO EXPERIENCE BUILDING A BOAT, I DON'T KNOW THE NAMES OF ANY THING ON THIS BOAT.
I HAVE NEVER DONE ANY SCALING AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT A SHROUD IS, I'M SURE BY THE END OF THIS BUILD I WILL KNOW.
THE DIRECTIONS ARE MISSING IN THE INSTRUCTION BOOK AND NO INDICATION ON THE DRAWINGS ALONG WITH MISSING PARTS.

THANKS, GARY.
Hi Gary,

You will find out that you are correct to say that you will know the name and function of every line and sail on a ship after building your first model. It is part of the research and learning experience, which will take up about 80% of the time in your build with construction making up the remaining 20%. If you want to learn fast, then post EACH and EVERY question you have, even the simple ones, on this forum and you will get answers literally in an hour or two. As for instructions, we can refer you to the books you need to buy to get started on the research. There are MANY Blue Nose builders from on this forum from beginners to experts who will be able to help you... but usually only if you ask specific questions. For general questions like "how do I plank a hull?", we will provide you some basic documents that are instructions on hull planking, and refer you to other books you may want to purchase. THE BEST tutorials for you are the build logs of Blue Nose found on this forum and others like Model Ship World. You can see how other builders outfitted their models and what techniques they used. As for missing parts, you will probably have to scratch build almost all of them. It is often difficult to obtain them from the original kit manufacturers, but not impossible. Besides, any parts you fabricate will likely be better quality than kit parts. Plus you should consider adding extra details to your model to make it more accurate and better overall. Kits are typically oversimplified and under-detailed. Some members may be able to furnish you with plans, or even copies of original instructions if you tell us who made the kit, and if the members have built that kit. Most of us retain the plans and instructions for models we build. Be prepared to spend money on books and tools. If you are "kit bashing" (superdetailing and upgrading the model with scratch build add-on parts), you will also consider replacing some of the wood with improved wood or wood you choose as a better option for color and appearance. Most of all, believe it when I say that building a model of this type is a long term affair, measured in months and years, not days, and the #1 item you need the most if you want to be proud of the result is PATIENCE. As a reference, my first model was at an advanced level, it took 2 years and 8 months to complete, being a 72 gun man-of-war with full sails. So, that is what you are getting into. Best wishes and post a build log as you go, for us to enjoy and comments on.

HELLO PETER.

THANKS, GARY.
Hi Gary. As you wrote in you post #3, you needed the measurements between the two masts. Perhaps I can do some scaling for you.
And convert that indication on the drawing of my Bluenose and post it here.
The scale of your model 1:115 is correct?
Is it correct that the hull of your model, from bow to stern / from to end (without the bowsprit) as on the drawing below is +/- 38,19 cm / 15 inch?
IMG_9549.jpeg
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Hi Gary,

You will find out that you are correct to say that you will know the name and function of every line and sail on a ship after building your first model. It is part of the research and learning experience, which will take up about 80% of the time in your build with construction making up the remaining 20%. If you want to learn fast, then post EACH and EVERY question you have, even the simple ones, on this forum and you will get answers literally in an hour or two. As for instructions, we can refer you to the books you need to buy to get started on the research. There are MANY Blue Nose builders from on this forum from beginners to experts who will be able to help you... but usually only if you ask specific questions. For general questions like "how do I plank a hull?", we will provide you some basic documents that are instructions on hull planking, and refer you to other books you may want to purchase. THE BEST tutorials for you are the build logs of Blue Nose found on this forum and others like Model Ship World. You can see how other builders outfitted their models and what techniques they used. As for missing parts, you will probably have to scratch build almost all of them. It is often difficult to obtain them from the original kit manufacturers, but not impossible. Besides, any parts you fabricate will likely be better quality than kit parts. Plus you should consider adding extra details to your model to make it more accurate and better overall. Kits are typically oversimplified and under-detailed. Some members may be able to furnish you with plans, or even copies of original instructions if you tell us who made the kit, and if the members have built that kit. Most of us retain the plans and instructions for models we build. Be prepared to spend money on books and tools. If you are "kit bashing" (superdetailing and upgrading the model with scratch build add-on parts), you will also consider replacing some of the wood with improved wood or wood you choose as a better option for color and appearance. Most of all, believe it when I say that building a model of this type is a long term affair, measured in months and years, not days, and the #1 item you need the most if you want to be proud of the result is PATIENCE. As a reference, my first model was at an advanced level, it took 2 years and 8 months to complete, being a 72 gun man-of-war with full sails. So, that is what you are getting into. Best wishes and post a build log as you go, for us to enjoy and comments on.
HELLO AGAIN. THANK YOU FOR THE FAST REPLY. MY BOAT IS ARTESANIA LATINA BLUENOSE 20001,1:115 SCALE AND I MEASURE RIGHT AT 14" BOW TO STERN,
THIS KIT IS DATED 1988 AND I'VE HAD IT FOR YEARS AND NEVER OPENED IT TILL LAST WEEK. I CAN LOOK AT THE DRAWINGS AND GUESS AT WHERE I SHOULD
DRILL THE MAST HOLES, BUT I'M TOLD IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THEY ARE IN THE RIGHT PLACE ON THE DECK.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP, GARY.

HELLO PETER.
THANK YOU VERYMUCH FOR THIS, EXACTLY WHAT I NEED.

THANKS, GARY
HELLO PETER THANK YOU AGAIN, I'VE INSTALLED THE MAST'S AND GOT TO THE POINT OF THE RIGGIN AND DECIDED TO PUT THE PROJECT ON HOLD.
WITH ALL THOSE SMALL RIGGING PARTS, DECIDED TO STOP, WITH THE STROKE I HAD, I'M NOT STEADY ENOUGH TO CONTINUE.

Hi Gary. Good to here from you that the masts are standing. Sometimes it’s ok to set a build aside. If it doesn't feel right to continue. I hope your recovery goes well. Keep on looking at the beautiful lines of the Bluenose from time to time. One day you may decide to continue working on her again.
Regards, Peter

Back