Lindberg 1/130 Jolly Roger/La Flore Plastic Kit Log

Hey, first post here, thought I'd finally throw my hat into the ring.

Picked up a Jolly Roger kit for cheap. I got one for Christmas when I a was a lot younger, at the start of my model making. Needless to say, it wasn't that great. But we all gotta start somewhere, and I've come a long way. Still have a lot of room to improve, but the best way to do so is to just do it. Haven't worked on a ship model in years, last time was when I was still a kid. (Pretty sure it was the smaller Revell Constitution) But it has been fun so far.

What I'd like to do with this one, is have a water base, like one that I saw on a build log of this ship I saw on here before.

Something I'm not particularly fond of is the size of the longboat in this kit. It just doesn't look right to me. I could, obviously, be wrong. I'm far from an expert. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear it.

I'll update as I get paints and parts in!

20231221_201403.jpg

20231221_201350.jpg

20231221_201338.jpg

20231221_201329.jpg

Not a big update. Waiting on some paint, and some rigging supplies to come in the mail.

Just been slowly picking away at what I can paint. Trying to make a few decisions, and do research. Hoping to finish the main bulk of painting by the end of the month.

The next update should, in theory, have more to it.

Snapchat-309917287.jpg

Snapchat-1608057067.jpg

Something I'm not particularly fond of is the size of the longboat in this kit. It just doesn't look right to me. I could, obviously, be wrong. I'm far from an expert. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear it.
Brother Silent:
I recommend that you start by determining the scale of your vessel. Measure stairs, doors, gunport, railing heights, ships wheel, and any other features that might provide clues. Then, based on ergonomics (sizes of elements that are based on the size of humans) and reviews of plans of vessels from a similar era, you can calculate the scale. Note that scales of plastic models of this type are notoriously fluid; however, you can still make a good guess at the average scale. You can find descriptions and drawings of ship's boats and determine if the size of the one from the kit makes sense*. This exercise might also lead you to modify some parts of the model to better reflect a constant scale. Looks good so far! Have fun!

* For example, Chapelle shows a longboat from a Royal Navy ship of the line in his classic book American Small Sailing Craft. It is about 32 feet long with a beam of about 10 feet. Of course, a smaller vessel would have carried a smaller boat.

Brother Silent:
I recommend that you start by determining the scale of your vessel. Measure stairs, doors, gunport, railing heights, ships wheel, and any other features that might provide clues. Then, based on ergonomics (sizes of elements that are based on the size of humans) and reviews of plans of vessels from a similar era, you can calculate the scale. Note that scales of plastic models of this type are notoriously fluid; however, you can still make a good guess at the average scale. You can find descriptions and drawings of ship's boats and determine if the size of the one from the kit makes sense*. This exercise might also lead you to modify some parts of the model to better reflect a constant scale. Looks good so far! Have fun!

* For example, Chapelle shows a longboat from a Royal Navy ship of the line in his classic book American Small Sailing Craft. It is about 32 feet long with a beam of about 10 feet. Of course, a smaller vessel would have carried a smaller boat.
That's a lot of good, and I'll probably do that. I know I'm going for a kind of British capture of a French ship sort of look with it. (Got stories in my head.) I know the box says it's 1:130-1:133 scale, but like you said, it's very fluid. Also doesn't help, that it seems it's a ship model that takes inspiration from sources, and not a specific source. Which is nice for customization, but not so much for actually getting correct measurements. I also just need to get a lot of books.

I'll probably try to find a somewhat general sizepoint of ships of this caliber made from 1770-1800. It seems to be a fairly safe era to look through.
Thanks for the suggestions!

I think, down the line I wanna get another one of these kits, and just completely customize the hell out of it. Sort of do like the one person, (I believe it was on here) that was making it into the Surprise, and making a lot of components from scratch.

I also just need to get a lot of books.
To enhance the stories in your head, essential reading includes the Aubrey/Maturin series of novels by Patrick O'Brian. First book of the series is Master and Commander. To decipher all that O'Brian describes, it's good to have handy a copy of A Sea of Words by Dean King, which is a lexicon and companion to the series. For technical details of ships of the era, try Howard Chapelle's The History of the American Sailing Navy. Of course, you can't have too many books about ships and the sea! Have fun!

To enhance the stories in your head, essential reading includes the Aubrey/Maturin series of novels by Patrick O'Brian. First book of the series is Master and Commander. To decipher all that O'Brian describes, it's good to have handy a copy of A Sea of Words by Dean King, which is a lexicon and companion to the series. For technical details of ships of the era, try Howard Chapelle's The History of the American Sailing Navy. Of course, you can't have too many books about ships and the sea! Have fun!
I was actually referring to more technical books. Got a list growing. Main thing is just getting the rigging right. I can rig up a modern sailboat, but ships are just a tad more complicated. Got a fairly basic understanding at least though.
But you're not wrong! Got a historic fictional universe in my head goin'. Read Master and Commander a while ago, ordered Post Captain the other day. Got three of the Hornblower books left to buy and read yet. Can never have too much! Gonna add that book to my list too. Don't have as proficient knowledge of the American sailing Navy, but I got nothing against learning!

Couple little paint touchups to do yet, but I figure I can do it all once it's properly based. Planning to do a water scene with it. Nothing too crazy big. (I've got my plans on how to do it.) It's nice, (and daunting) to finally get some rigging on her. It's my first real attempt to do a lot of details like this. (My first go around, I just did some very simple strings, tying at point A and point B.) I figure that by the time I finish this, I'll have gotten better with seizing at this scale, (can do it on true scale stuff pretty well.) and figure out better ways to do some of it, but it's all learning. I know it's not amazing, but for a first attempt, I think it's coming along okay. Hoping I have enough material. I'm doing this all on a shoestring budget, because I have no money.

Snapchat-183745781.jpg

Snapchat-888352641.jpg

ace4293d-5790-4778-95b6-b764601d440a.jpg

Snapchat-1542410899.jpg

Back