Le Rochefort - 1787 Harbor Yacht 1:24 - build log by Nersch

Hello and a nice Saturday evening to all :)

I have started preparing the frames.

First I scanned all the frames and colored them on the laptop. I'm not sure if it was worth the effort, but at least I now have a detailed understanding of the plans of the 32 frames. By the way, there are 361 individual parts. Yes, I counted them. ROTF

After cutting them with a cutter knife and scissors, I arranged them on 9 different boards. I tried to arrange them a bit randomly to get a mix of wood colors within each frame.

Do you think this arrangement makes sense? Would you do something different? Are the gaps okay? I will be cutting everything to size with my bandsaw. I would leave about 2 mm around the final shape.

View attachment 377657 View attachment 377662
View attachment 377661 View attachment 377663
Hi Nersch, sorry catching up with your build a bit late on this topic but since I am at the same stage, would you be able to point me in direction what software have you used for plan scanning and colouring? I have my plans scanned all in pdf but cannot locate correct software to nicely fill out colour into individual frames.
Appreciate assistance..

Hello Dieter, how are you and how is the move to the new workshop going?
Hello Tobias,
I'm still busy to get everything installed in my new workshop. But I hope I can continue with my Rochefort build very soon.
On Wednesday I'll pick up some ordered wood I'll use to make an extraction (German: Absaugung).
I want to have everything ready before I restart my ship. Otherwise it will take for ever.
BTW: Will you join the Forentreffen on Saturday in Augsburg?
Would be great to have some discussion.

Hi Nersch, sorry catching up with your build a bit late on this topic but since I am at the same stage, would you be able to point me in direction what software have you used for plan scanning and colouring? I have my plans scanned all in pdf but cannot locate correct software to nicely fill out colour into individual frames.
Appreciate assistance..
Hi moreplovac,

I made also some scans of the plans and used afterwards GIMP (https://www.gimp.org/) to modify the plans.
But unfortunately it's not only the bucket fill tool. I also "repainted" the contour of the frames before I filled them.
I did it during a period where I could not work in my workshop, so I had some time for it.
But normally just a copy of the plans should be fine.

Hello Tobias,
I'm still busy to get everything installed in my new workshop. But I hope I can continue with my Rochefort build very soon.
On Wednesday I'll pick up some ordered wood I'll use to make an extraction (German: Absaugung).
I want to have everything ready before I restart my ship. Otherwise it will take for ever.
BTW: Will you join the Forentreffen on Saturday in Augsburg?
Would be great to have some discussion.

Hello Dieter, unfortunately I can't come on Saturday. The meeting is unfortunately on my birthday and we have guests.

Back