Late comer HMS Alert 1777 by Glennb17

Hello,

Welcome to my admittedly redundant build of HMS Alert. It's great to have a sophisticated kit to build as we go into the holiday season.
1701270354998.png
A couple of years ago, all the cool kids were buying HMS Alert 1777 kits from Trident through Ships of Scale. So of course I joined in. Then I received the kit. I took out the instructions couldn't believe what I was seeing. There wasn't nearly enough information in readable English to build the kit from my skill level. So up on the shelf it went. Since then I built another POF kit, Hayling Hoy from Modelship Dockyard. With the confidence provided in that build, I decided to give Alert a whirl. I'm still on the edge in terms of skill level, but I think with all the completed builds here, I should be able to piece it all together.

Another aid in completing this model was the posting of hundreds of pictures from various stages of the build from the manufacturer. Forgive me for not remembering the username of the kind soul that posted them. I went through them very carefully. It's really just an unorganized was of jpgs and pngs. So I tried to organize it into a single file. I printed it out and keep it in a binder along with the instructions in the shop. I tried to post it here, but it's still too big compressed. You can contact me by PM if you want to exchange by email.
1701270471976.png
1701270521883.png

It took me 1 1/2 weeks to cut out all of the frame pieces.
1701270582127.png
1701270615391.png
1701270657292.png
The saw dust/shavings were pretty pesky. It's kind of weird with CNC. Some of the sheets are really rough, chipped up, and sawdust is jammed in there so hard you need a pick to pull it out. But some sheets only require a couple of wraps on the benchtop and come out looking like fine furniture. I wish I could have gotten a kit of fine furniture, but I guess that's what you get when you work with wood. I am still trying to get a replacement for a sheet where all the pieces were too chipped up to use.
1701270701997.png
I've been building frames in the templates and marking them for shaping for about another 1 1/2 week. I think I'll be done with the frames and keel before Christmas. I also worked on the jig.
1701270812160.png
I was getting some cock-eyed frames using plastic wrap on the templates. The wrap always put a tension on the drying assembly despite clamps. So I took @Maarten 's advice and pulled out some finish for the templates. I used polyurethane and it turned out just fine. I used it on the jig as he recommended and the polyurethane-coated char was just fine on the templates as well. The water base didn't really swell the material.

So, it's back to building frames. I'm not sure I'm going to bolt them, the frame joints are less than perfect but I'd like to soldier on.

Well you off to a good start just getting all the sawdust cleaned out, that was a major job for most building this kit.

I also was one of the kids on the block who bought this kit, but it is still on the shelf, with no elf on the shelf to push it out for holiday work.

I will follow this build, too.
So You are going to glue/shape all the frames in one go?
I decided to do that, more or less. I don't have a lot of working room so it easier for me to set up glass shelves for the templates to keep things flat, lots of little clamps scattered about, and set up a small bath of isopropanol for when things go wrong. I did make a little space to cut out pieces of the keel and at one point. And at one point, I thought I was going to have a meltdown just doing frames, so I cleared space and built the slipway up to the keel part. Doing it this way also keeps me organized. Plus I can test fit all frames before I start gluing to the keel. To each their own, right?

Well you off to a good start just getting all the sawdust cleaned out, that was a major job for most building this kit.

I also was one of the kids on the block who bought this kit, but it is still on the shelf, with no elf on the shelf to push it out for holiday work.
I had to finish something, anything, to give myself permission to start and focus on this, just my process. Maybe the elf will push it out to you this joyous holiday season.

I am very happy to see your building log here...... I am looking forward
Thanks Uwe. it won't be as nice as some of the builds already posted, but maybe it will be more appropriate for those of similar skill level to me. Plus, posting is great for the process.

Dear Glenn,
Im happy to see the start of your Alert.
It is a very fun and interesting build , you can Help with my construction blog and at any time contact me with questions :)

... Plus I can test fit all frames before I start gluing to the keel. ....

That's actually a very good idea. I was too motivated at the start of my build and immediately glued the first bow frames in place. Not too happy with the result but IPA and PVA glue is our friend, right?
So now I'm also dryfitting all the frames and only then glue them in place.

Back