Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

Hello friends! I am certainly enjoying following so many of your builds!

A while ago, before I had completed any research, I had done some preliminary work on the kit-provided main topsail sheer bitts. But when I returned to this mini-project I realized they were unusable. I suppose the biggest issue was that the kit did not anticipate the modeler adding the lower deck. As a result they were simply too short and had a rather clumsy solution to the decorative bitt tops:

IMG_0682.JPG

So, I decided this was the perfect time to practice using my little mill. Here is a photo essay showing my scratch-built main topsail bitts...

I started with square stock from my limited supply of boxwood:

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0678.JPG

I then shaped the top of the bitts according to the pattern shown in TFFM (Antscherl):

IMG_0681.JPG

I then added tiny raised panels using some small chisels:

IMG_0688.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG

These didn't turn out as clean as I had pictured in my mind ahead of time, but it was not a total failure.

I returned to the mill (along with some needle files) and made the 'arch' that passes across the tops of the bitts:

IMG_0685.JPG

As you can see, I added a decorative molding/bead along the bottom edge. This turned out somewhat better than the panels.

I fabricated a few more necessary elements (the crosspiece, and a pair of cheek blocks) and put everything together:

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

And now sitting loosely on the ship:

IMG_0703.JPG

IMG_0701.JPG

This ended up being a fun little project with the added bonus that I gained a bit more confidence with a mill. Next up: the jeer bitts (yes, I am actively avoiding building the upper deck :rolleyes:).

Last edited:
Good morning Paul - “another small update “ :rolleyes:;) . As for those beams- pretty much perfect. I need to get new glasses as I don’t see laminations- perhaps I should use my laptop when viewing work as good as yours….or maybe I do need new glassesROTF.
The photo of the single beam is beautiful. Love your work Paul. Cheers Grant
I'm looking on my desktop, and I still don't see laminations.

A while ago, before I had completed any research, I had done some preliminary work on the kit-provided main topsail sheer bitts. But when I returned to this mini-project I realized they were unusable. I suppose the biggest issue was that the kit did not anticipate the modeler adding the lower deck. As a result they were simply too short and had a rather clumsy solution to the decorative bitt tops:

View attachment 445748

So, I decided this was the perfect time to practice using my little mill. Here is a photo essay showing my scratch-built main topsail bitts...

View attachment 445745

View attachment 445746

I then shaped the top of the bitts according to the pattern shown in TFFM (Antscherl):

View attachment 445747

View attachment 445750

View attachment 445751

These didn't turn out as clean as I had pictured in my mind ahead of time, but it was not a total failure.

I returned to the mill (along with some needle files) and made the 'arch' that passes across the tops of the bitts:

View attachment 445749

As you can see, I added a decorative molding/bead along the bottom edge. This turned out somewhat better than the panels.

I fabricated a few more necessary elements (the crosspiece, and a pair of cheek blocks) and put everything together:

View attachment 445754

View attachment 445755

View attachment 445756

View attachment 445757

View attachment 445753

View attachment 445752

This ended up being a fun little project with the added bonus that I gained a bit more confidence with a mill. Next up: the jeer bitts (yes, I am actively avoiding building the upper deck :rolleyes:).
It’s immediately obvious that the dentist is busy with good work :) . Paul great jobThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup

View attachment 445748

View attachment 445745

View attachment 445746

View attachment 445747

View attachment 445750

View attachment 445751

View attachment 445749

View attachment 445754

View attachment 445755

View attachment 445756

View attachment 445757

View attachment 445753

View attachment 445752

Your milling skills become better and better, Paul. My respect! The recesses at the bottom of the arch are very tight.
Regards, Peter

Back