Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

Bonus posting for today. I got tired of working on the upper deck so I detailed the top of the riding bitts:

View attachment 443609

View attachment 443610

View attachment 443611

View attachment 443612

View attachment 443613

The boxwood is just a joy to work with!
Paul, I have never worked with boxwood. It certainly looks beautiful with no splinters or fuzz.
Do you believe it makes carving and shaping the pieces that much better and precise, or is it a combination of your skill and some element of the material?
It is a pity there are no kits that use boxwood, as far as I know, but happy to be corrected.
Regardless of your answer the riding bits are more eye candy.
Congratulations
Michael

Just catching up after a long road trip. Your joint are impeccable and I love the photography of the riding bits!! What a pleasant evening reviewing your work!

How do you get the blue background and not lose any definition of the actual pieces you are photographing???

Fantastic Paul! What level does your stove go on?
You know Paul, even if you had the exact same number of beams on both decks, the added length of hull as you go up would make changes in spacing to them spread equally from for to aft in the ship.

I do like you layout in this ship.
Thank you, Daniel and Kurt!

Just catching up after a long road trip. Your joint are impeccable and I love the photography of the riding bits!! What a pleasant evening reviewing your work!

How do you get the blue background and not lose any definition of the actual pieces you are photographing???
Very good work on the bitts - I recognized once more, that I nee also such a blue background -> very good photos of these details
Ha! The blue is just a photographer's background hanging from a bar. There's some artwork on the wall behind it and before I put up the blue background the art pieces distracted me to no end. And yes, it does make a suitable backdrop for pictures :).

And thank you for the nice comments on the bitts!

Fantastic work, Paul. If I see your progres I think it's time to go back in my shipyard, but I have so many details to draw ...
While I do admire your CNC work for its accuracy - I know that I could never do what you are doing (all the computer work). I know you love that stuff - but for me the hobby is working with my hands. We would make a good team :).

Paul, I have never worked with boxwood. It certainly looks beautiful with no splinters or fuzz.
Do you believe it makes carving and shaping the pieces that much better and precise, or is it a combination of your skill and some element of the material?
It is a pity there are no kits that use boxwood, as far as I know, but happy to be corrected.
Regardless of your answer the riding bits are more eye candy.
Congratulations
Michael
Hi Michael! I was expecting you to ask if I made these with sandpaper ROTF...

Yes, I do believe carving/shaping is much more satisfying using hardwoods. I sometimes see posts on build logs that say something like, "it's all fuzzy but you can't see it in real life." And even if that is true (hmm...), I would struggle working with soft stock. Given the amount of time invested I would advocate for using the best materials you can afford.

BTW: true boxwood (European boxwood) is really no longer available (or so I have been told). You will see it on various build reports but that is old stock coming from someone's stash of dried timber. What we have available today is a genetic relative but is quite a bit softer than the real thing. I am using Castello boxwood which is just a bit harder than pearwood - but about 40% softer than the real thing (but still 50% harder than cherry - and almost 3x harder than the limewood most kits provide).

Anyway, different species of woods have their proper place in our hobby - but the tighter the grain and the harder the wood the easier it is to carve and shape (oh, and the magic happens when you have a blue background ROTFROTFROTF).

Back