Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

It looks like you two are enjoying beautiful Hawaii!! We loved our tour and life on Ford Island (before they built a bridge connecting it to Pearl Harbor). Quiet and secluded.

If you visit Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona, take the time to drive to the other side of Ford Island and see the USS Utah memorial also. Our house was the last tiny cottage on the road behind the Utah. We were there on the 50th anniversary and talked to many survivors of both the AZ and UT! The cottage a few down from ours has a coral rock base, because a torpedo overshot and blew the front half of the cottage apart.

Greetings, friends, from the middle of the Pacific.

Dragging my bride on a goat trail through Waimea Canyon:

View attachment 441152

Near Wailua after a long paddle and hike:

View attachment 441157

Two days later when she was speaking to me again…

View attachment 441150

On the north shore:

View attachment 441149

And from our cottage on the south shore:

View attachment 441156

Catamaran cruise scheduled for tomorrow but the weather may be turning on us. Modeling will have to wait.
Wonderful photo's including a happy couple, all smiles and happiness. Really envious of the great walks and exploring your obviously enjoying. Don't forget Hawaii is nearing the end of whale watching season (Usually Dec-April/May) Hope you get the opportunity to see them in their glory or splashing about... Oh Yeah! happy belated to you. :)

View attachment 441152

View attachment 441157

View attachment 441150

On the north shore:

View attachment 441149

View attachment 441156

Catamaran cruise scheduled for tomorrow but the weather may be turning on us. Modeling will have to wait.
Nice pictures, Paul. Enjoy you stay with your admiral in that beautiful area.
Regards, Peter

View attachment 441152

View attachment 441157

View attachment 441150

On the north shore:

View attachment 441149

View attachment 441156

Wonderful

View attachment 441152

View attachment 441157

View attachment 441150

On the north shore:

View attachment 441149

View attachment 441156

Good morning Paul. Stunning pics.
Sometimes I wonder how on earth your bride puts up with you…..she must be incredibly patient and really love you….. ROTF . Seriously tho enjoy these special-moments in life… it is too short. Cheers Grant

A small but significant update...

The lower deck has been placed:

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0614.JPG

You will notice that I have made several (potentially controversial) design choices. I did not include any ledges on this deck level (and I also did not cut out the tabled joints on the carlings that would ordinarily house/receive those ledges). I may regret these decisions but now those of you building POF models can at least see what this looks like.

Another design decision you may not agree with...I included a waterway on both sides of the ship (the finished side with knees, but also on the unfinished side without knees). Why did I do it this way? Hiding bad fitting beams on the unfinished side :D.

IMG_0599.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG

IMG_0606.JPG

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0608.JPG

Some hard to see hanging knees:

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

And an iron knee in association with the beam arm:

IMG_0609.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

Looking fore and aft:

IMG_0617.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

I didn't notice the gap between the waterway and the ceiling planks on the model - but I surely see it in these photos! Yikes! In retrospect I think it would have been better to add the lowest strake AFTER the waterway was installed. Always learning...

Will the do-overs never end ROTF!

The kit does include upper deck beams as a three-layered laminated affair. I'm going to build up a few of these and see if I want to use them or whether I need to create scratch beams. And I also need to figure out the bitts...

Thanks for the visit!

View attachment 442312

View attachment 442321

You will notice that I have made several (potentially controversial) design choices. I did not include any ledges on this deck level (and I also did not cut out the tabled joints on the carlings that would ordinarily house/receive those ledges). I may regret these decisions but now those of you building POF models can at least see what this looks like.

Another design decision you may not agree with...I included a waterway on both sides of the ship (the finished side with knees, but also on the unfinished side without knees). Why did I do it this way? Hiding bad fitting beams on the unfinished side :D.

View attachment 442311

View attachment 442313

View attachment 442314

View attachment 442315

View attachment 442316

View attachment 442319

View attachment 442320

View attachment 442317

View attachment 442318

Looking fore and aft:

View attachment 442323

View attachment 442322

I didn't notice the gap between the waterway and the ceiling planks on the model - but I surely see it in these photos! Yikes! In retrospect I think it would have been better to add the lowest strake AFTER the waterway was installed. Always learning...

The kit does include upper deck beams as a three-layered laminated affair. I'm going to build up a few of these and see if I want to use them or whether I need to create scratch beams. And I also need to figure out the bitts...

Thanks for the visit!
Totally mind-boggling beautiful workmanship. There's much to be admired about your striving for constantly achieving perfection. "Unreal" (off topic, what is the name of the glue used that doesn't wrinkle paper?) cheers Franco.

View attachment 442312

View attachment 442321

View attachment 442311

View attachment 442313

View attachment 442314

View attachment 442315

View attachment 442316

View attachment 442319

View attachment 442320

View attachment 442317

View attachment 442318

Looking fore and aft:

View attachment 442323

View attachment 442322

Thanks for the visit!
it's looks beautiful my dear friend Okay :)

Waterways on both sides look great!!! and have the added benefit you pointed out too!!!

I love the knees, especially the simulated metal one!!

Superb work and attention to detail is what I respect and admire in your models!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

View attachment 442312

View attachment 442321

View attachment 442311

View attachment 442313

View attachment 442314

View attachment 442315

View attachment 442316

View attachment 442319

View attachment 442320

View attachment 442317

View attachment 442318

Looking fore and aft:

View attachment 442323

View attachment 442322

Thanks for the visit!
This deck with the combination of all those knees looks great, Paul.
Ps:
I didn't notice the gap between the waterway and the ceiling planks on the model
Is that because you made the preparations of the waterways on a green cutting mat? That’s asking for problems ……… ;)
Regards, Peter

Back